Tips For All Types Of Armies! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-07, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Default Tips For All Types Of Armies!

well, im back from the bloodbowl GT, 62nd, not bad for a noob!, lmao, considering i was youngest there, i also sent off suggestions for upgrades to the GT, lets hope the designers listen! :D

now im back to the 40k scene, ive decided, after watching the grand final, to formulate some tips for anyone that wants them

so this is an open topic, ask any question concerning armies, types, best stratageys, and ill be happy to answer them

(ive started working as a tournament advisor for over 15 pepole at WW HQ, so believe me when i say ive seen them all!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 01:33 AM

I'm thinking of starting an IG army and I was wondering; should I have tons of infantry and not have very many vehicles at all, have a balanced amount of infantry and vehicles, or have more vehicles than infantry?

EDIT: I got first reply.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

imperial guard tend to have the cheapest infantry avaliable to the imperium, so they are in high needs, but to rule out vehicles would be ignorant of there true power, the way to make them work, is three ways

Do you like to bombard the opponent with wave after wave of players, there weapons become usless because youve swarmed them? : Then is say a balance of
7:3 infantry:tanks

or do you like to rush into the opponent at lightning speed, jump out by suprise with a hail of gunfire, jump away again with the opponent cringing? : this is more of the balance, chimera's alongside guard regiments, you can move your 12", jump out, rapidfire there ass into the ground, jump back in next turn (you will lose troops, but at 6-7pts each?) and then continue to do that, with the points you could easily have 3-6 shock troops, and even fit a HS tank too, balance is 4:6

but, do you like to focus less on numbers, and beat the living daylights out of your opponents from a distance, plus have the type of weapons that will give nothing there armour save? : tanks, Basalisk and Leman Russ Demolisher, how you group them together is up to you, 2B with 1L, or the other way around, or maybe just 3 of a kind, basalisks, should in 6 turns be able to fire 6 times with the demolisher round, and the tank should never be attack (positioned correctly and as long as your not playing space wolf scouts) and with the leman russ, well, thats death on wheels, with its great front armour, you should just plough into the enemy, unloading the ultimate large blast template on them each turn, nothing gets a save and it will instant kill almost everything in exsistance, this plan should be infantry to tanks of 2:8

my personal view is option 3, there is nothing better than dropping a shell on a command squad and saying to the stunned opponent "thats 2's to kill....take your 9 armour saves, oh wait, you cant! muhahahaha"
but if you want ultimate numbers, you can fit 200 standard troops and a command squad for 1500 points, lets face it that wont be easy to get rid of, unless you play hoard tyranids in which case you are royally screwed!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 01:38 PM

I understand that you are only trying to be helpful. We appreciate the offer for advice. I don't mean to sound crass or rude, but what qualifications do you have? To come on a board and strart a thread offering everyone else advice is a little presumptious don't you think?

Many of us have a lot of experience with this hobby and I doubt we really need someone offering advice as though we needed it.

Are you a GW exec? Are you a GW games developer? Are you related to Gavin Thorpe?

If any of those are "Yes" then you are at least qualified to offer unwarranted advice. Keep in mind though that you will be stepping on people's toes. We all have our own ideas and opinions of this hobby.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 01:51 PM

well theres nothing wrong with offering advice to people who want it, however accurate it may or may not be. however it is worth noting that a huge majority of the members of this forum seem to know what they are talking about, and could collectively offer better advice to a new player than one single person could.

some of them may not appreciate a preacher on the forum as they have so much experience themselves, as demonstrated above.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 06:00 PM

What 40k list would you recommend to win the GT this season?

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 06:42 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathwinder14
I understand that you are only trying to be helpful. We appreciate the offer for advice. I don't mean to sound crass or rude, but what qualifications do you have? To come on a board and start a thread offering everyone else advice is a little presumptuous don't you think?
Isn't asking for advice basically what everyone does on this board, but none of us have qualifications, you can chose to ignore his posts, or listen to them, either way nobody is harmed, if you don't agree with something you say so

Quote:
Many of us have a lot of experience with this hobby and I doubt we really need someone offering advice as though we needed it.
theres no such thing as too much advice, for all we know he could of been playing for millions of years, obviously not, but you get the point, he may have more experience than all of us combined

Quote:
Are you a GW exec? Are you a GW games developer? Are you related to Gavin Thorpe?
do you think any of those people would give you any other advice other than "buy space marines"

Quote:
If any of those are "Yes" then you are at least qualified to offer unwarranted advice. Keep in mind though that you will be stepping on people's toes. We all have our own ideas and opinions of this hobby.
and we all like to share them just like him, so we are basically the same, just in a different method of showing it

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-07, 07:52 PM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

stella, you owned them all.

do you think vanilla marines could win anything with the following traits: Purity Above All, Trust your battle brothers, Eye to Eye and We Stand Alone? :D

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-07, 12:13 AM

Well, actually, i'm the best at everything. Anyone want to ask me for advice?

How to tie your shoe laces? How to make a cup of tea? All the answers are here.

:lol:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-07, 04:49 PM

Unwarranted advice? Qualifications?

I have a Degree in Astartes...

By all means provide advice and suggestions, strategies and tactics- if we're all supposed to keep silent, then what purpose has a discussion forum.

But expect to be mercilessly ridiculed by elitist snobs like myself if offering nuggets of wisdom like "Tornados are good", or "Try this novel idea, put a power fist in your Tactical squads".

Any, what armies to expect at a GT/ other tournament. Depends on region, so I'll discuss mine- the UK.

At the moment IW's, Siren, etc are the ultimate contendors for lameness on the MEq front. They where followed closely by Blood "200pts free" Angels- but fell victim to Jervis, they are a shadow of their former gaiety.

Marines can still give a good showing- the Drop Pod 'o' Doom army doing well consistently. But overall Marines may make up the largest percentage of tournaments but they perform poorly overall.
Who knows why this is? Perhaps a higher percentage of 'noobs' use them, perhaps the fact everyone's lists are designed to kill Marines as efficiently as possible, perhaps multiple reasons.

In the next year or so, Chaos and most likely Marines will feel the icy touch of nerfage and going off the DA will drop from the tournament radar.

So with MEq taking a nasty hit, this leaves who to fill the void at the top?
Mech Tau and Eldar, they have shown consistent effectiveness at tournaments for quite some time- so the elimination of their competition can only see them take the top spot.

Grumbles, Skimmer Edition, grumble.

If your planning on going to tournaments and GT's this year- I'd prepare for the IW's last hurrah before they die a well-deserved death, but plan also to see Tau and Eldar a lot.
Next year and onwards- Tau and Eldar FTW, and those Marine idiots (myself included) who will show up regardless.

Disclaimer: This is a generalisation, there will of course be token Ork players, Sisters, IG, DE, etc, etc at GT's. The above is what will be most popular, and more specifically what will consistently reach the top tables and final scores.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode