Tips For All Types Of Armies! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-07, 03:41 PM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

huh, well, considering im a noob, i dont really plan to go to GTs very soon, but i tihnk i wouldnt suck when i do go since i am a great tactician. Some thing else in the way of my joining the tournament is my age and location, which would mean not many GTs and not really comfortable in the crowds of "big" people. So basically i said that as a jokey kinda thing. Besides, if space marines are knocked off tournaments then other races willl stop making Anti-marine lists, making me able to rocket up the charts due to their ease of play.

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-07, 01:18 PM

My post was not arguing whether or not we want advice on this forum, but more that we initiate it by asking for it, not saying that we know everything.

I know he was trying to be helpful, but the way he offered his advice made him seem like a know it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente
he may have more experience than all of us combined
Ummm....unless he has worked for GW as a playtester, then no. There is no way he has more experience than all of us combined. A couple hundred gamers have more gaming experience than 1. Simple math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente
and we all like to share them just like him, so we are basically the same, just in a different method of showing it
And that method is what I'm talking about. No one l ikes a braggart. I was simply letting him know that he was coming across as a braggart and that he may want to re-evaluate his methods.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-07, 02:09 AM

Cadian81st's Flag is: USA

Peter, there's just a small hole in your Imperial Guard strategy: they have a BS 3. Yes, I'm afraid our friends, the Imperial Guardsmen, are not known for their marksmanship. And, it transfers over to their vehicles. If you're firing any vehicle other than a Leman Russ or a Bassie, you have to roll to hit. And you will miss my friend, many many times. So yes, while you should be able to roll across the board in your chimeras, and let loose with the multilasers, lasguns and other various forms of death, chances are you'll miss about a third of your to hit dice, just cause you need a four or higher to merely hit. Then, you'll probably miss another third, or even half of the ones you have left over since pretty much everything out their has a higher toughness than the lasgun's strength. So, with a ten man guardsman squad firing at a 10 man marine squad, you'll be lucky to wound three of them, and then of course, there's that pesky armor save. So, all told, it's a champagne-worthy moment if you kill two of the three you wounded, but most likely they'll either make all of the saves, or you'll kill one. Forget about assaulting, lasguns are rapid fire, so your squad will get raped next turn by 9 extremely pissed marines.

A few more points: the range on a Demolisher's main gun is 24", it is not a sit and shoot weapon. And since vehicles can't move and fire an ordnance weapon, your rolling death tank scheme for the leman is slightly flawed as well. Also, you do realize that basilisk shots are ordnance, and that scatters? You would have to roll a hit on the scatter dice in order to kill the command squad outright, plus most commanders have Invulnerable saves.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-07, 02:41 AM

Ok, with a BS of 3 you miss half the time. Vehicles CAN also fire ordnance weapons on the move. Also most rolling armour type armies i've ever seen include a fair no of storm troopers which are BS4 and pack a couple of special weapons. Soin reality you're looking at 4 BS 4 plasma shots, a BS 4 plasma pistol and 14 lasgun shots which may also be supplemented by a multilaser and a heavy bolter which is going to hurt. Lots.

Not cheap but quite doable with a little skill and some luck.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-07, 02:51 AM

Cadian81st's Flag is: USA

I was speaking of a ten man guardsman squad versus a ten man marine squad. You're right, add some HW and training and it gets nasty. Although a hellgun is still S3, so it really makes no difference wounds wise (where it's S vs T, not BS) if it's stormies or not.

That's my bad about the ordnance thing, I got it mixed up with being unable to fire secondary weapons if you fire ordnace. But even so, if you drop a template on them, you can't fire your heavy bolters or lascannon at all, so it's still pretty pointless.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-07, 12:42 AM

the reason for h bolters and the such on Russes is backup. I get arm destroyed against my enemy LR all the time. His battlecannon goes up in smoke. POOF now i have a tank with 14 fromt armor and a lascannon and a pair of H Bolters to worry about. not quite as deadly, but still a pain
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-07, 10:35 AM

Bloodhound's Flag is: Australia

Location: On a mountain arguing with a yeti about whether or not I can use their computer.

Add me on Xbox Live. Make sure you leave a message saying you're from Heresy though.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-07, 10:28 PM

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompzilla
Ok, with a BS of 3 you miss half the time. Vehicles CAN also fire ordnance weapons on the move. Also most rolling armour type armies i've ever seen include a fair no of storm troopers which are BS4 and pack a couple of special weapons. Soin reality you're looking at 4 BS 4 plasma shots, a BS 4 plasma pistol and 14 lasgun shots which may also be supplemented by a multilaser and a heavy bolter which is going to hurt. Lots.

Not cheap but quite doable with a little skill and some luck.
Yeah a scary "rolling thunder" army i saw years back was made up of a Russ, 2 Demolishers and 2 Chimeras with hardened vets packing massed melta (as they get 3 per squad over stormies who get 2, also melta over plasma as guard don't like overheats).

This Phallanx rolls up a flank, Russ at the "tip" Demolishers covering its flanks (thier side is 13 over 12) and chimeras tucked behind. When it gets close chimeras break out and you get 6 melta shots in your face. Pretty tough to face off. Especailly when the rest of the army was just massed footsloggers, command units with lascannons and squads with hvy bolters.

Fast was sentinels with autocannons.

Did very very well at the heat i saw it in (came in the top 20 IIRC), never saw it or anything like it again. Though this was 3/4 years ago so not sure how it would fair in the current taudar environment.

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-07, 03:05 AM

Getting a bit sick of hearing about this f#@$%&g taudar environment. Especially since it doesn't exist. Looking at the stats from last years GT there was over 60% marines of one flavour or another, Tau, eldar and guard had roughly the same amount with nids being very close.

It is now, same as it's always been, a bloody marine fest.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-07, 08:03 AM

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

Yeah but Tau and Eldar are far more effective now than in the 3rd ed. Tau armies struggled a lot more then as tanks where weaker so they had to rely on suits. Eldar revolved around starcannons which bounce of Guard Armour.

Previously you had to consider how to beat SM (as always), Eldar and Dark Eldar (where a lot more around back then). Now its is more foucsed towards podding/infilgay marines, IW, Tau and Eldar. And the later 2 been the most challenging as they tend to be the most effective when used properly.

Plus it lets you sing a silly song about Taudar, Taudar, Taudar...

.... you... do you have any money?
... i wanna spend all your money!
... on the taudar, taudar, taudar... go!

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode