Help me find a new army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Army Lists Post your Warhammer 40k armies here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

hippypancake's Flag is: Wales

Default Help me find a new army

Hey guys, long time no see. Earlier this year I had to sell all my models because I was strapped for cash and needed some quickly (aka Tuition) so I need some help with picking out my new army.

I'm stuck between Daemons and Tau. What are the pros and cons from each that you guys have discovered while playing them and against them?

The Undefeated 13th (SW) - W 3, L 0, D 2

The Swarm (Nids) - W 33, L 14, D 0

Da Waugh Squad (Orks) - W 5, L 9, D 2

The Gunline/Gundam Wing (Tau) - Under Construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 05:04 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Hmm well dont play either but from what I've seen is that, daemons seem to be almost a horde army now so many models proably could still write a elite list easily. Tau lots of shooting with relativly small numbers buy again depends on list. Really just thinking the armys are almost the opposite daemobs a lot of close combat while tau has very little.

Maybe consider what kind of play style would you use assaulty murder or death from afar.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 05:12 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Daemons have a moronic book with a bajillion random tables you're supposed to roll on for days and days on end. If you like the idea of minimising the control you have over your own army, then this codex may be the one for you. It's not underpowered, mind you, just really fucking stupid.

Tau are strong, and are one of only three codices in the game with decent anti air available. They have solid troops and answers for just about every problem your opponent can throw at you. Perhaps most importantly, Tau don't have any goddamn tables apart from Warlord traits to roll on (IIRC).

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 05:28 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

So really comes down to:

Uber killy and bloody hard to beat at the moment: Tau
Fun : Daemons !

Daemons games, for and against, are always the most fun for me and my opponent.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 08:55 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

As stated above, I think the most important question is: How much control do you want?

If you like randomness, where the same setup can rip your opponent to shreds or hit itself in the face constantly then Daemons is the way to go. You never know what happens and the degree of chaotic happenings is very strong, leading to some very interesting battles.

If you like control, and supporting each other with pewpew then Tau is the way to go. It can be a bit tough to play, as it's a sequence army - Do things in the right order and you get a hell of a army. Personally, I think it's a bit boring, but that's personal taste as to how much you wish to control.

I'm in a situation where I play Chaos and my brother plays Tau. We have very different playstyles and what we like from the game. I think the randomness of Daemons is awesome, but it is not to everyones liking. Before any other point can be made, I think that's the most important to consider.

Good luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

hippypancake's Flag is: Wales

I was roughly aware of them having new play styles, and the reason I was split between them was because of that fact.

When I use to play, I played very melee oriented armies, Space Wolves, Nids, and Orks, so part of me wants to start completely fresh and build an army that is the polar opposite (that being tau) and part of me wants to go back to what I am used to with Daemons.

I finally decided on Tau because I felt that a change would be nice. Thanks for the input guys you gave me a lot of info that I didn't know.

The Undefeated 13th (SW) - W 3, L 0, D 2

The Swarm (Nids) - W 33, L 14, D 0

Da Waugh Squad (Orks) - W 5, L 9, D 2

The Gunline/Gundam Wing (Tau) - Under Construction
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 01:11 AM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

I wouldn't call Daemons 'stupid'.

They have been radically changed (possibly the most radical codex change ever), but they are incredibly fun to play, and they now are so much more in line with the daemons fluff. They play more like a horde army now. Yes, you will be re-rolling for random effects frequently but this makes it very amusing and very entertaining. This is why people like playing against Daemons.
Contrary to what some people believe they are not a crap army now because of the random hilarity, they are actually fairly well balanced, which may come as a surprise when you read the codex...For me, this is a testament to how well the codex was written. You will probably never get bored of them.
They definitely aren't for everyone though. You should definitely try Daemons before commiting to them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode