Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Another controversial discussion! (Capitalism vs Communism)
View Single Post
post #124 of (permalink) Old 04-18-09, 04:40 PM
Red Orc

Humans are contradictory, cabbage... have I ever said they weren't?

Do you think if the world was a giant prison camp, where food arrived in containers dropped from the sky, bundled up with guns and ammo, let's say, people would would be nastier to each other than they are now?

If they wouldn't in your opinion, then fair enough, your view is that people act the same regardless of their social conditions. I can only prove that wrong by actually changing social conditions, which I'm not in a position to do. It does mean that we can stop arguing with each other, however.

If you think they would be more violent or selfish, then you agree with me that behaviour is at least partially determined by environment. Thus, it would seem logical that you would also agree that changing the environment people live in can lead to changing behaviour.

For instance, if you believe that some people will always seek to dominate others, as you seem to think is the case, changing the political environment to one where domination is more difficult, because more people (in the case of communism, practically everyone) are involved in decision-making, seems more semnsible to me than a situation where where the biggest thugs and biggest thieves get to dictate to the rest of us.

Now you may consider that it would never be enough; we can never make the world a comfortable enough place that people will respond be reducing their greed and competitiveness to a level where we can all get along. But even if you do believe this, I'd still argue that it's better to try to be better people, to be more considerate of our fellow human beings, to replace greed with solidarity, violence with dialogue, suspicion with trust.

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome