Night Lords Army list help please - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-16, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Default Night Lords Army list help please

Hi,

I'm looking at making a 3000-4000 point Night Lords list using the RoW Terror Assault

I've got the Night Haunter and Sevatar already so I'd like to include those two.

I'm going to get three terror squads in pods with Volkites chargers

I'd like to drop pod in Sevatar and use his 'no scatter deep strike terminator power' to bring in some cataphracti with combi-plasma.

I'd like to get some Night Raptors to act as a bodyguard for the Night Haunter.

Other than that, I've no idea. What would be the best way to turn this into an actual army list?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-16, 01:26 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Hey pal, good to see someone else joining the 30k master-race Now I don't run Night Lords myself, but I've seen enough bat-reps and listened to enough event reports that I kind of get how most people run this ROW so here's a list that hopefully tickles your fancy.

HQ

Sevatar 175

Damocles Command Rhino 100

Troops

9 Terror Squad Executioners: 9 volkite charger; + 1 Headsman (volkite charger) 250
Drop Pod 35

9 Terror Squad Executioners: 9 volkite charger; + 1 Headsman (volkite charger) 250
Drop Pod 35

8 Terror Squad Executioners: 8 volkite charger; + 1 Headsman (volkite charger) 230
Drop Pod 35

Elites

4 Terminators: Terminator armour (Cataphractii); 4 combi-weapon (plasma); 3 lightning claw; chainfist; Deep Strike; + 1 Terminator Sergeant (combi-weapon; chainfist) 260

4 Terminators: Terminator armour (Cataphractii); 4 combi-weapon (melta); 2 power fist; 2 chainfist; Deep Strike; + 1 Terminator Sergeant (combi-weapon; power fist) 260

Fast Attack

9 Night Raptors: 5 chainsword; 2 power weapon; 2 nostraman chainglaive; + 1 Huntmaster (Nostraman chainglaive) 300

Xiphon Pattern Interceptor: ground-tracking auguries; armoured cockpit 220

Heavy Support

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon
Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: cyclonic melta lance; 2 volkite caliver; phosphex discharger 315
Dreadnought Drop Pod 100

Lord of War

Konrad Curze: Rite of War (Terror Assault) 435

Total = 3,000 points

So in this you've got Sevatar, Konrad and his bodyguard (read meat-shields) of 10 Night Raptors and you're 3 squads of Terror squads with martian death-rays.

Sevatar goes in the pod with the 9 man Terror squad and him and another pod come in turn 1. If you need to be really precise then you can use the Damocles 24" no scatter bubble to help them, but otherwise leave the Damocles out of sight and out of mind for now. You'll need it later.

In turn 1 two pods come down with Sevatar and friends and start culling folks. Konrad and his psychos run up the table with cover saves that, with Night Fighting, are probably as good/better than their armour saves and make your opponent shit themselves because they've just moved 12" and Ran so will probably be in Assault turn 2, turn 3 if they're lucky.

Turn 2, after you've weather a hefty amount of return fire and most/all of the Night Raptors are dead, you can bring reserves in on a 2+ thanks to the Damocles Rhino you stuffed out of sight somewhere. The terminators appear within 6" of Sevatar (so right in your opponent's faces). One has combi-plas and and the other has combi-melta so one can slag a vehicle and the other than hose down whatever climbs out. The Leviathan drops down, is a massive pain in the arse, probably slags another vehicle and your opponent continues to shit themselves. Another Terror Squad lands and helps cull infantry. Finally the Xiphon appears and fucks up any air support your opponent has.

Then Konrad probably hits their lines and the really terror starts!

Hopefully you like the list or it at least gives you some ideas of where you can take your army.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-16, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Deus, that's been really helpful

I've had it pointed out to me that Sevatar can't join terror squads as they have infiltrate and he doesn't.
According the to the draft faq's characters without infiltrate can't join squads with infiltrate until the game starts - so this rules them out of pods.

I'm having to rethink again now :/

Would it be worth infiltrating the terror squads and 'podding Sevatar in turn one near them?

I've also had Spartans recommended to me - are they better than the leviathan?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-16, 11:12 AM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

So, my experience of the 30k community is that we mostly agree that the draft FAQs are horse-shit and don't apply. Right now they are only a draft so count for precisely jack and even if it does become 'official' most people I know are planning on ignoring several things in it, such as only one person in a squad being able to use their grenades in an assault phase. If you were infiltrating the Terror squads with Sevatar then you'd have a problem, but most folk I know wouldn't have a problem with you sticking them in the same pod together. If your opponent has a problem with it, I'd be very surprised since it's not like you get any advantage for it and they're probably going to be an overly pedantic arse.

Spartans are good if you have a large assault unit you need to transport to the front line. Technically you do in the form of Konrad and his boys, but they move so fast and have a 4+ cover in the open thanks to Konrad they don't really need the Spartan. So, for your list which will be mostly deep-striking in your opponent's face pretty reliably, I don't think you need it.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-16, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I know this is a necro but its better than starting a new thread...

Finally went to whw and bought

2 x BAC with NL upgrades (60 marines, 2 contemptors, 10 cataphracti, 4 characters)
4 drop pods
30 Volkite Chargers
10 Volkite for a legion support squad (I forget the name)
3 x 5 Night Lords Night Raptors
Deredeo with autocannons and aiolos missile launcher

My plan is to drop pod the terror squads in with a legion vigilator in scout armour - just so I can attach a character to the terror squads (now the FAQ is finalised and characters can't join squads with infiltrate before deployment)
Drop in a tac squad with Sevatar
Keep Sevatar alive till turn 2, bring in catapracti and two more terror squads
Advance with Kurze and the raptors
Shoot planes with deredeo.
Contemptors stay with the deredeo.

If I can do that in a game I'll be happy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Horus Heresy > 30k Tactics and Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode