Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

2000 Point Starter Iron Warriors

7K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Sworn Radical 
#1 ·
Hi there! Semi long time 40k Iron Warriors player looking to get in on the 30k scene. I'm not the only one in my gaming group trying to get in, there will actually be six of us in total, and we've all agreed to shoot for 2k lists and maybe work up to 4k with primarchs.

Now without further ado, version 1.0 of my 30k Iron Warriors:

HQ (320)
Legion praetor with cataphractii armor, paragon blade, digital lasers, warsmith, servo arm
Hammer of Olympia rite of war

Legion centurion with artificer armor, volkite charger, master of signal

Elites (375)
Tyrant siege terminator squad (siege master and 4 terminators)

Legion rapier weapons battery
2 quad heavy bolters with shrapnel bolts

Troops (765)
Legion tactical squad
15 marines, 1 tactical sergeant with artificer armor, power weapon, and meltabombs, legion vexilla

15 marines, 1 tactical sergeant with artificer armor, power weapon, and meltabombs, legion vexilla

19 marines, 1 tactical sergeant with artificer armor, power fist

Heavy Support (540)
Iron havoc support squad
5 havocs and 1 sergeant, missile launchers

Iron havoc support squad
5 havocs and 1 sergeant, lascannons

Total: 2000/2000

Thoughts? Advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
Thoughts? Advice?
Yes.

Why use 'The Hammer of Olympia' when your list doesn't utilise any of its strengths ?
All your tanks benefit from free 'Extra Armour' ... there's not a single tank in sight in your list.
You can have up to four Heavy Support slots ... no need for the RoW here either, you're only using two slots.

Further thoughts:
The Warsmith upgrade is ... debatable.
If I were to employ 'The Hammer of Olympia', I'd most likely go for a regular Praetor to unlock the RoW, plus a Siege Breaker as the compulsory HQ choice for the RoW.

Especially if using Tyrant Siege Terminators. Get that Siege Breaker a suit of Cataphractii armour and drop him in the Tyrants for 'Tank Hunter' missile spam.

The Master of Signal is nice, but Iron Warriors can get enough heavy fire on the table without him.
If and when I really wanted to use a Master of Signal, I'd get a Damocles Rhino (Book Five) in there as well as my third HQ slot for double Orbital Bombardment.

When running the 'Hammer', I'd go for ten-strong Tactical Squads in Rhinos (free Extra Armour) for my compulsory troop choices.

So, essentially it comes down to this:

- Take different / altered HQ choices if you want that infantry-heavy list.
- Get Apothecaries in there for your Tac blobs.
- Rapiers with Shrapnels are wasted potential ... go for Thudd Guns or Gravs.
- The unit that benefits the most from Shrapnel Bolts is ... Scimitar Jetbikes. Think about it.

Or, if you want the 'Hammer':

- Cheaper Praetor
- Tanks, tanks, tanks ...
- More tanks

IMHO a good 'Hammer' list has three Tacticals in Rhinos, a Praetor, a Siege Breaker to boost one of your shooty units (Tyrants, Havocs, whatever), plus at least 4 tanks of choice. Here it might be useful to look at the synergies between the Siege Breaker, Medusae tanks and the fourth Heavy Support slot ... :wink:

#3 ·
Why use 'The Hammer of Olympia' when your list doesn't utilise any of its strengths ?
It doesn't use them all yet, but as the list gets bigger I had intended for it to do so.

You can have up to four Heavy Support slots ... no need for the RoW here either, you're only using two slots.
At 3k I am planning on putting in an artillery battery and land raider or fire raptor, in addition to a spartan for the siege breakers so I can get it without using a heavy slot, a dred, and a siege breaker to go with the terminators. Then Perturabo, more artillery, another dreadnought, and maybe a xiphon or maybe another tactical squad/alter the powerfist tacticals, get another, and mount both in rhinos.

Would that be more worthwhile for the rite of war?

Especially if using Tyrant Siege Terminators. Get that Siege Breaker a suit of Cataphractii armour and drop him in the Tyrants for 'Tank Hunter' missile spam.
Planning on that at 3k, but I can see the worth of doing it earlier. If I dropped the praetor and took the siege breaker would you recommend a forge lord as another HQ? What about a librarian?

I'd get a Damocles Rhino (Book Five) in there as well as my third HQ slot for double Orbital Bombardment.
Wait I can have 3 HQ's? I thought I was limited to only 2?

When running the 'Hammer', I'd go for ten-strong Tactical Squads in Rhinos (free Extra Armour) for my compulsory troop choices.
I do like the idea of at least one large block of tacticals and kinda fear the idea of my smaller ones getting wiped out by larger groups that the others may in turn bring. Do you think one group of 20 and 2 groups of 10 in rhinos would be a decent compromise?

Or, if you want the 'Hammer':
So what would a good starter 2k list using the rite look like for you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.