Input wanted - Word Bearers army in the making - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-15, 10:09 AM

DelvarusThePitFighter's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ahh unfortuantely Captains- Centurions, can't have Paragon blades, but Praetors can, also Centurions don't come standard with Artificer armour - something to keep in mind as the points will begin to stack up for a guy who only has two wounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-15, 11:13 AM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Well, there are no weapon options for the standard tactical squad. It's just all bolters all the time.

My advice would be x2 20 man tac squads with apothecaries (because that makes them even harder to shift) and then x2 10 man support squad, one with Volkite Calivers (20 shots with deflagrate for hoard control) and the other with plasma/melta guns (for tanks/2+ guys)

I always give my tac squads the extra combat blades (so bolter, pistol and blade) for the 3 attacks on the charge, but that's because Emperors Children have Crusader so winning combat an cutting you down is easier for me. However, Word Bearers do get some sweeping advance bonus if I recall correctly so that might be good for you too.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-15, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelvarusThePitFighter View Post
Ahh unfortuantely Captains- Centurions, can't have Paragon blades, but Praetors can, also Centurions don't come standard with Artificer armour - something to keep in mind as the points will begin to stack up for a guy who only has two wounds
Ah duly noted - Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
My advice would be x2 20 man tac squads with apothecaries (because that makes them even harder to shift) and then x2 10 man support squad, one with Volkite Calivers (20 shots with deflagrate for hoard control) and the other with plasma/melta guns (for tanks/2+ guys)
That sounds solid - As far as I could read, you can only have 1 type of weapons in a quad, so you can't mix'n'match like in 40k - Correct?

I really appreciate the feedback man - Sorry for all the questions

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-15, 12:31 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition
Default Input wanted - Word Bearers army in the making

30k is still pretty new and with BaC, a bunch of new people have jumped onto a new rule set. It's fine to have questions :okay:

Indeed, in both Tactical Support Squads and Heavy Support Squads everyone must have the same weapon (except for sergeants, they can swap theirs out but only for Melee weapons and the like). On the one hand this means you can have 10 melta/plasma guns, or 10 missile launchers, or 10 lascannons which means you can bring more firepower to bear. On the other, it means you've got to have the points to pay for all of them because you can't have, say, a 10 man squad where only 7 have special weapons.

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Quote:
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-15, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
(except for sergeants, they can swap theirs out but only for Melee weapons and the like)
Speaking of which, is it worth it to equip the sergeants with anything special or should I just leave that for the special guys? I was thinking a power sword or the like could come in handy if anything else.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-15, 09:10 AM

I may well be a bit biased about this because my Emperor's Children have to challenge so mine are always tooled up with the best gear a) to get glory when they win and b) because if I lose I suffer a -1 Ld penalty.

For a legion that doesn't have to challenge though, I think artificer armour is useful to soak up wounds and keep things alive a little longer. I would be tempted to give the sergeant a power sword just because the couple of extra attacks at AP 3 might swing the combat for you if you fight other tacticals (which you probably will). But, as I say, I can't really imagine not kitting out my sergeants

Quote:
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-15, 12:36 AM
The Curmudgeon

jonileth's Flag is: USA

From personal experience, as I have been playing with Heresy armies for many months now, I feel that I should add this to your thoughts.

If you are doing Word Bearers and you haven't planned to use their Ashen Circle units, you're doing it wrong. Word Bearers get gross and broken when they start summoning daemons from the Warp and wrecking face. I suggest you do that.

Also, depending on the armies you face, Tac Support Squads can be helpful or useless, even with Volkite. Fury of the Legion with a 20 man squad in Rapid Fire range gives you 80 shots to throw down range... trust me, I've done this with my Salamanders and owned much. However, nothing is as fun as sending a 10 or 20 man Breacher Squad, resplendent with meltabombs for every single man in the squad, to go tank hunting. Also fun.

Heresy era armies really come down to 2 things, what you like, and how you make what you like wreck face. For me, I love the Salamanders/Emperor's Children. One army is slow, ponderous, and I can obliterate Mechanicum/Tank heavy armies with impunity thanks to Fire Drakes, Pyroclasts, and Breacher Squads. My Emperor's Children is all about speed and close combat grossness in equal and painful measure. If you want to make the most out of your Word Bearers, it might be wise to examine how you see their army, their tactics, then go from there. It sure worked for me.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-15, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonileth View Post
If you are doing Word Bearers and you haven't planned to use their Ashen Circle units, you're doing it wrong.
Oh? I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere beyond the fact that they are available - Are they that good?

Quote:
Word Bearers get gross and broken when they start summoning daemons from the Warp and wrecking face. I suggest you do that.
Oh most definitely - That's why I chose WB in the first place; The ability to summon Daemons!

Quote:
Fury of the Legion with a 20 man squad in Rapid Fire range gives you 80 shots to throw down range... trust me, I've done this with my Salamanders and owned much.
That does sound absolutely devastating I have to admit. I like it!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-15, 12:53 PM
The Curmudgeon

jonileth's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Oh? I haven't seen them mentioned anywhere beyond the fact that they are available - Are they that good?
Well, just going by the word of the friend of mine who has a word bearer army, it was the first unit out of his mouth when he was explaining his army list to me. And with him, if it's in his army, it wrecks face. I only ever win against him thanks to mission objectives, never in kill points if that's any indication of how hardcore his lists can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
That does sound absolutely devastating I have to admit. I like it!
It's really the only reason to field the Tactical Squads in the first place. They blow as far as close combat is concerned, and tanks chew them up like they were paper, but if you can get them near some equally squishy infantry, they murder people. The only drawback is, once you Fury, the next turn they can't shoot because they all have to reload their dry magazines. The price you pay for pasting people I suppose.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 11:28 AM
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium

I wanted to write this post earlier, but I had to read (and assimilate) @Deus Mortis tactica articles first (which are purely amazing, thank you for those).

Word Bearers are probably the easiest way to build up an army that can be used in 30K and 40K without too many changes (regarding Traitor Legions, at least, in terms of miniatures and tactics).

The Dark Brethren Rite of War, even if situational, seems however a nice combo/option with Zardu Layak when the plan is going to build up a WB army with Daemons Allies (which seems to be your plan, @Nordicus , despite your first basic list ?) : Zardu Layak counts as a Diabolist and Master of Legion (i.e. only 2 HQ needed, even if the Battle Scribes files I have don't take it into account), it may give good buffs to many units in Close Combat (25 pts is not so much compared to the 40K Marks and Icons costs) and the limitation for Heavy Support is less restrictive as some tanks (like Predators) may be bought in Squadrons.

I just wonder whether Daemons don't break up the balance in a game where all armies are based upon the same "Codex" ?

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -

Last edited by alt-f4; 12-22-15 at 12:48 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Horus Heresy > 30k Tactics and Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode