Taghmata in 40k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default Taghmata in 40k

Woohoo! First Rules Question for the Forum!

So I've been reading (briefly) the Red Book for the AdMech Taghmata list. I keep seeing people posting in 40k boards about how this is usable in 40 as well as HH. However, I can't see anywhere that it actually says that correctly. So I'm curious on opinions.

1. Horus Heresy, the entire game created by Forge World, is an expansion for 40k. Therefore, you can't play HH (otherwise known as 30k) without the 40k rule book.

2. In the Taghmata book, it says that these lists can be selected for the Age of Darkness missions, which is basically what the Horus Heresy Expansion is. Rules for the Age of Darkness expansion and missions.

3. However, in the Foreword of the Taghmata red book, it mentions these rules are for Warhammer 40,000 and the expansion.

So what do you guys think? Is it simply stating that the HH game entirely is 40k, like I feel, and it's still restricted to the AoD expansion? or is this a loophole to use HH Admech in any game?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 03:40 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

I think most people I've met have played it thusly:

30k armies are meant to be played in their own meta. They can only ally with other 30k armies (except for cases like Word Bearers which make exemptions for Chaos Daemons) since they only have an ally matrix for other 30k armies. They have their own missions to be played and should two 30k armies play one another, those are the missions that should be used.

However, a full Forge World army is costly and hence other 30k players in FLGS and such are rare. So if your opponent is happy to play against your 30k army then you can use it in regular 40k games although there may be some in-balances. For example, 30k armies are meant to be played at 2000+ points so at lower points than that you may find yourself short stacked.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 04:10 PM
The Curmudgeon

jonileth's Flag is: USA

Actually, it has been my experience playing with people in my own game store with 30K armies vs. 40K armies that as long as you stay under 2000 points, there really aren't many balance issues when it comes to using the armies. I've done this both as a 40K player and a 30K player. The problem you will run into as a Mech player in 30K is that in point games below 2000, you are limited by what you can field and how many. One of my staple opponents is a Mech player and he laments having to fight games lower than 2000 because of how few units he can field and how restricted the Taghmata feel at those values. Zone Mortalis games (or any game at 1000 points or less) see him fielding only 3 units, and even then he's struggling with it. So really, you can play your Mech army versus any other army in either scheme and still be able to have fun with it as long as your opponent isn't under the delusion that you'll somehow be OP.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
For example, 30k armies are meant to be played at 2000+ points so at lower points than that you may find yourself short stacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonileth View Post
Actually, it has been my experience playing with people in my own game store with 30K armies vs. 40K armies that as long as you stay under 2000 points, there really aren't many balance issues when it comes to using the armies.
These replies amuse me.

I understand the general 'everyone's cool with it', however the response I was getting is that flat out, in Black and White, Forgeworld has written that it's perfectly legit to whip out a Taghmata army and, say, fight Harlequins or Sisters* with it.

*note: picked two armies at random that simply don't exist in 30k.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 04:43 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

I'm not sure what you are after here. It's not a separate system like Age of Sigmar so yes 30k armies can fight 40k armies. It's just that 30k armies have to abide by the Age of Darkness ruleset (unique FOCs, unique allies matrix, no unbound etc) whereas the 40k counterparts don't.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 04:55 PM
Rattlehead

How about you just open your mouth and talk to your opponent? Or the event organiser? I mean, not trying to be facetious, but if you turn up and say that your 30k list that nobody knows the rules for definitively is, or vice versa with your opponent's 30k army, then it makes you an asshat either way.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > Horus Heresy > 30k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode