I'd like to take credit for foresight when I manufactured these coils but it was pure luck that I made them oversized. As it is I made the depth about a half inch too long but it did give me a smoother curve to the coil segments when glued and clamped where they would have been too hard to glue successfully had they been manufactured to a precise size.
(I think that statement makes sense)
In the image above we see the foreground segments cut down albeit crudely to the proper depth and the back ground segments still to be cut.
The image below shows both top and bottom segments cut down and ready to be sanded.
"It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."