Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Legion Rising - Projects from The Dark Works
View Single Post
post #243 of (permalink) Old 07-18-18, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord's Flag is: Canada

++++
+++++++++
++
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++++
+++
Motivation Subroutines ∙ RecalibratingÖ
+++++++
++++
Information Exchange ∙ Update
++++++

+++ Output Quota ∙ Inadequate +++ Incentive Reprimand ∙ Administered +++ +++ Praxis Protocols ∙ DecryptingÖ +++ +++ +++ Output Quota ∙ Adjusting ParametersÖ +++
++++
++
+++++++
Praxis Protocols ∙ Initialized
++++++
+++
+
Motivation Subroutines ∙ Updated
++++
+
Comm-Link ∙ Active
+++
+++++
+++++++++
++

Ok, so maybe four versions of the Interitus Missile Launcher redesign with four missile options was a bit ambitious to start, but I really wanted to make versions suited to Loyalist and Chaos aaand an alternate version with a lower profile, so four was what had to be. With the number of moulds required and the additional cure time the new rubber is adding, itís taking longer than expected; driving home that I simply need more and/or larger pressure chambers sooner rather than later; all in due time. However, things are progressing and while there still a few moulds to go, the end of these are in sightÖ sortaí.

Iím happy to find that the components donít need any special treatment before the mould making process. Past 3D prints Iíve worked with had a porous surface that would bind with the mould rubber if the parts werenít treated.

So, thankfully this isnít a problem with the components Solus is producing. I still need to remove and clean up the supports used during the printing process, but thatís not too bad, usually. While the printing resin is very strong and hard itís also somewhat brittle and itís prone to chipping if you donít take care as you file and sand them away. If it happens itís usually a toss-up between repairing the chip mark or just printing a replacement part. Beyond that, this is how parts turn out straight from the printer right into the RTV rubber. Fewer steps in the production process, Itís a good thing.

Moulds for the Launchers are still in the works, but the yolk is ready and looking great. Naturally, itís magnetized for posing/swapping and theyíll be included in the kit.

The only catch with the yolk components is hidden within the current moulds. While theyíre producing great parts Iím finding that it takes quite a bit of force to remove the parts from the moulds. The new rubber Iím using is very tough but Iím just not sure how many pulls Iíll be able to reliably get from them like this. The mixed outcome is somewhat good since I had done them as simple and straightforward as possible, so I can see now that Iím going to have to do them in a way thatíll take a bit more work, but thatís just what some components need if youíre going to make moulds in what I feel is the right way. The two-part moulds take more time and effort, but I just canít ignore the superior results.

Besides that minor hiccup, these are looking as good as I could have hoped. The rest of the moulds will be finishing up over the next few days and fully assembled photographs of the kits will be sure to follow. After that, Iím going to be pulled by my ear, figurativelyÖ mostly, but a bit literally, by my family to spend a week out of the city at the cottage. While a large part of me doesnít want to leave the manufactorum as Iím finally gaining momentum again, Iím quite sure itís in my best interest to relent and expose myself to some unpolluted atmosphere, some dirt, and a dose of solar radiation in order to maintain some semblance of an immune system. Naturally, Iíll be taking some hobby supplies and such along with me for the evenings, so Iíll keep some progress going of some sort, but Iím still not sure just what quite yet.

"The old galaxy is dying, and the new galaxy struggles to be born; now is the time of monsters."

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome