Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - New 40k Player, Space Wolves. First List
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-18, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Graysword

Default New 40k Player, Space Wolves. First List

Hi all,

Just started collecting Space Wolves, Am looking to build a list that i can work towards actually owning, as i will be buying as i go. Want to get a fairly flexible army. below is my first attempt at a battle list:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [48 PL, 797pts] ++

+ HQ [20 PL, 330pts] +

Bjorn the Fell-handed [14 PL, 239pts]: 3. Tenacious Survivor, Assault cannon [22pts], Heavy flamer [17pts], Warlord

Iron Priest [6 PL, 91pts]: Boltgun, Servo-arm [12pts], Thunder hammer [21pts]

+ Elites [28 PL, 467pts] +

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 160pts]
. Fenrisian Great Axe and Blizzard Shield [70pts]: Blizzard shield [30pts], Fenrisian great axe [40pts]

Wolf Guard on Bikes [14 PL, 190pts]
. Wolf Guard on Bike [38pts]: Chainsword, Storm bolter [2pts]
. . Bike [2pts]: Twin boltgun [2pts]
. Wolf Guard on Bike Pack Leader [38pts]: Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Storm bolter [2pts]

Wolf Scouts [6 PL, 117pts]
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [2 PL, 26pts]: Chainsword, Combi-plasma [15pts]
. Wolf Scout [15pts]: Sniper rifle [4pts]
. Wolf Scout Pack Leader [22pts]: Plasma pistol [7pts], Sniper rifle [4pts]
. Wolf Scout with Heavy Weapon [24pts]: Plasma gun [13pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [81 PL, 1205pts] ++

+ HQ [16 PL, 292pts] +

Njal Stormcaller in Runic Terminator Armour [9 PL, 153pts]: 1. Storm Caller, 2. Tempest's Wrath, 3. Jaws of the World Wolf

Wolf Priest on Bike [7 PL, 139pts]: Storm bolter [2pts]
. Bike [2pts]: Twin boltgun [2pts]

+ Troops [24 PL, 369pts] +

Grey Hunters [8 PL, 123pts]: 4x Chainsword, Wolf Standard [10pts]
. Grey Hunter Pack Leader [13pts]: Chainsword
. 2x Grey Hunter w/Bolt Pistol [26pts]
. Grey Hunter w/Plasma Pistol [20pts]: Plasma pistol [7pts]
. Grey Hunter with Special Weapon [26pts]: Bolt Pistol, Plasma gun [13pts]
. Wolf Guard Pack Leader [2 PL, 28pts]: Chainsword, Combi-plasma [15pts]

+ Elites [26 PL, 259pts] +

Wulfen [26 PL, 259pts]
. 2x Great frost axe [34pts]
. 2x Thunder hammer & Stormshield [42pts]: 2x Storm Shield [10pts], 2x Thunder Hammer [32pts]
. 5x Wulfen [140pts]
. Wulfen claws
. Wulfen Pack Leader [43pts]: Frost claws [15pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [15 PL, 285pts] +

Razorback [5 PL, 95pts]: Hunter-killer missile [6pts], Storm bolter [2pts], Twin heavy bolter [17pts]

Razorback [5 PL, 95pts]: Hunter-killer missile [6pts], Storm bolter [2pts], Twin heavy bolter [17pts]

Razorback [5 PL, 95pts]: Hunter-killer missile [6pts], Twin heavy bolter [17pts]

++ Total: [129 PL, 2000pts] ++

My Current idea is to have Bjorn, Ven Dred & Iron Priest making the core of the army, with the storm shield, legendary tenacity & Tenacious survivor and the Ven Dred stopping Bjorn from being the target, along with the Iron Priest to heal the Ven to keep those 3+ Saves for as long as possible, they are a juicy target and im hoping to keep them alive yet draw alot of fire. They are going to be advancing alot to cover ground, so i left the assault cannon for that reason, he can advance, shoot small guys in front of any big targets, then charge. if Ven dred survives then he will engage first soaking up the overwatch on his shield. Njal in Term armour will be placed variably, but if with the main unit he can help with the cover bonus for Bjorns advance.

The wolf guard Bikers will stick near the dreds as much as possible to benefit from Bjorns re-roll 1s on hits, but also can perform as a hard hitting fast unit, getting off alot of shots close up, while charging for 20 close range attacks, if we can keep wolf priest on bike nearby also then we can get some heals and re rolls on fights. this unit is key, they can be used to deal with any deep striking units or scouts that show up on the flanks or behind. these units are key for flexibility.

For objectives and general map control I have the 3 Gray wolves and 3 razorbacks, they are designed to be able to run solo, hold objectives, charge, plasma big stuff, and just generally be the core units. supported by their razorbacks, also hunter killer missiles because i dont have much dedicated heavy firepower, lascannons etc. i think if anything that this is the big weakness of this format. i do have alot of dispersed plasma though, which im hoping will be able to take down smaller high toughness stuff. Njal can help here with cover, damage or reduced chance to hit etc. plus in general preventing up to 2 Psychic powers in this smite spam is useful.

Finally we have the wolf scouts and the Wulfen scouts with snipers (seemed like a good idea, as they can be deployed further back or in the rear and wound HQ units, and the Wulfen will be deployed hopefully to slice through whatever i can slice them through. I debated losing the wolf scouts or one wulfen to give Bjorn a Lascannon, making him more of a threat early game, but then he cannot advance if he shoots i believe so im going to aim to get him into combat asap. Njal can also deep strike in and give them cover bonus to help their charge,

If i was going 2500 i would just add longfangs to this list, or perhaps the storm wolf. I could imagine switching out Wulfen for Longfangs too if i cant support their rear charges effectively.

Weaknesses: Probably lots, i just started playing, did my research, watched battle reports, seems to be a good list but perhaps too elite, each unit taken down will drastically reduce my armies effectiveness. perhaps not enough heavy firepower. honestly i will have to play to find out.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome