Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

+ Truescale the Horus Heresy + [16/4/17 - IW Veteran]

23K views 73 replies 10 participants last post by  Brother Dextus 
#1 · (Edited)
A bunch of us have got heavily into 30k ever since Calth came out. We were all hobbyists before, mostly 40k/WFB, but branching out into Flames of War and Bolt Action. Calth has absolutely taken over our entire hobby lives. 30k or death! So we'll be posting about that mainly!

My old 40k marines were all upscaled a bit (using a modified version of Veteran Sergeant's technique that I saw on HeresyOnline way back), so I definitely wanted to carry that on to 30k. I refined my version a bit, made them a bit chunkier, and convinced some (not all) of the lads to go in the same direction....

in no particular order we have...

MyIron Warriors

I'm not the best painter of the bunch, but given the volume I've put out (I've got around 3.5k painted since Calth) I'm very happy with them.
I've gone for a fluffy, infantry heavy army, though having just read The Ironfire ROW, I'm going to be adding some artillery soon.

T's Imperial Fists

This photo doesn't really do them justice. Ty is a slow, but excellent painter. These guys are currently WIP, and the bases have come on a bit since this was taken. We decided to unify the basing scheme, to tie all the forces together. He's currently working on 10 terminators.

X's Word Bearers

Xander has an eye for detail. These guys are stunning. He's going for a fluffy, deep-into-heresy look for his lads. His Ashen Circle are something to behold!

L's Alpha Legion

Luke hasn't scaled his guys up, and I think it really works with his AL, the sneaky bastards that they are. His blended armour is really lovely. I'll try to get him to upload some close ups.

R's Salamanders

Rob used to be a terrible painter. I don't know what happened. Maybe he drank some radioactive paint? He's the master of the airbrush, and the painter that I'm in business with. He's also our resident power gamer, and his zooming Storm Eagle precipitated the purchase of many fliers and Deredeos...

Q's Night Lords

For what he lacks in volume, he makes up for in quality. Fighting in the kitchen of our war-torn utopian Palace/Cathedral, his Night Lords are, to a man, stunningly painted. His next project is a trio of contemptors and a spartan, all suitably covered in skulls and chains.

See less See more
#4 ·
Spartan!

Rob here,

I thought I would show off some pics of my Spartan, which I have painted recently! It was quite a lot of work, but worth every minute

Enjoy!

Ingredients
Greens
- Pine Green (Master Paint Series)
- Leaf Green (Master Paint Series)
- Pale Green (Master Paint Series)
- Livery Green (Vallejo Game Color)

Blues
- Coal black (P3)
- Mediterranean Blue (Vallejo Model Air)
- Azure (Vallejo Model Air)
- White (Vallejo Model Air)
- Fenrisian Grey (GW)

Reds
Mechrite Red (GW)
- Fire Red (Vallejo Model Air)
- Orange (Vallejo Model Air)
- Gold Yellow (Vallejo Model Air)

Other
- Abandon Black (GW)
- Skabenblight Dinge (GW)
- White Scar (GW)
- Celestra grey (GW)
- Dryad Bark (GW)
- Steel Legion Drab (GW)
- Ironbreaker (GW)
- Runelord Brass (GW)
- Gehennas Gold

Wash
- Nuln Oil

Weathering Powder
- Light Earth (Forge World)
- Dry Mud (Forge World)
- Fresh Mud (Forge World)

Attachments

#7 ·
Rob here,

I thought I would show off some pics of my Spartan, which I have painted recently! It was quite a lot of work, but worth every minute

Enjoy!
HA! I just assembled my own Spartan here this morning for my Word Bearers force. Great job you did on that tank - Let's see if I can do it justice too :)

Watching this space with interest, as a fellow 30k gamer!

#5 ·
wow, awesome! A nice Plog, definetely.

#10 ·
Haha yeah I did - The sponsons are magnetized, so I can take them off for painting and transportation :p

pics pics pics! a word bearer Spartan should be amazing!

is it pre heresy? or heresy era?
Well, in it's current state it looks like this, next to two of its brothers:

I will be painting it similarly to my Sicaran - You can check it out in a bigger format here:

Glad to see more pre-heresy goodness on here fellas. Welcome aboard!

#14 ·
I've posted this in the commission service area, but I figured the shots are good, so i'll put them here too...

I'm the builder. I'll build anything, convert anything, sculpt some things.

Mostly I upscale space marines, but I also magnetise, build complex tanks, and work on all sorts. Here are some images of what you can expect....

#16 ·
So today, after a weekend of LAN and no hobby, I present some pictures T sent me of the Fists I built for him recently. He commissioned 10 Tacticals, 20 Breachers, a Spartan and 3 Dreadnaughts. I have one dread left to finish (he wants sword and shield... it's going to take some time.

The breacher sergeant has a magnetised right arm and a lovely suite of options, and the dreads are also magnetised.

I believe some of these are still slightly Work In Progress, but they're looking great and I was excited to share!

Attachments

#20 ·
Little by little... the Heresy Builds.

X has done some work on Xardu Laydak and the Blade Slaves, and Q has made some progress on his Night Lords.

He actually finished the destroyers but took gakky photos, so I'll try to get some better ones for a later update.

We really have a problem with the Spartan and how OP it is. The solution: Everyone buys one!

Attachments

#22 ·
Give us this day our daily hobby, and forgive those who do not hobby with us.

Q has done some more on his dread, and it's looking lovely.

I did the first half of the waists on the next 30 marines I'm doing, and put together a little tutorial.

Second half to follow soon!

Attachments

#24 ·
Sorry for the delay in updating. Everyone has been hard at work.
I started on the board that will host these mighty armies...

and put together a little tutorial for the waists of my upscaled marines. I'll hopefully get a leg one done next time I put together some marines.

We've also managed to convince a seventh person to join our ranks, so look out soon for Rich's Raven Guard!

#28 ·
As an italian, i totally support your use of Trajan statuary and columns for that awesome terrain

Reactions: ExaltedUrizen
#29 ·
Yeah, this is looking good! I hope you have time to fill in the hollows of the columns. It would perfect the illusion.

As a student of art history (and an Italian-American *wink*) I think the statue is actually based on Augustus/Octavian.

#31 ·
Hmm, are you sure one of them is trajan? Those look like the same statue of Octavian to me 1 in bronze and 1 in marble, even down to the characters on the breast plate and the folds of the robe. I think the biggest difference is that the bronze doesn't have the "load bearing" cherub.

#32 ·
After some searching, i can say that you are right.
This is Augustus.

While THIS is Trajan. i honestly always thought that the guy above was Augustus too . go figure :surprise:
When i return to Rome i'll go to that Trajan Statue and leave there an ultramarine as penance for my sinful ignorance. :grin2:

#33 ·
Bwa haha! No worries man.

I'm glad it's settled otherwise we would totally derail this thread with an exploration of Roman statuary.

To bring it back on topic I want to challenge you @thebuilder to build a ruined basilica next time, not just a platform and columns but ruined vaults and partial domes!

#34 ·
Bwa haha! No worries man.

I'm glad it's settled otherwise we would totally derail this thread with an exploration of Roman statuary.

To bring it back on topic I want to challenge you @thebuilder to build a ruined basilica next time, not just a platform and columns but ruined vaults and partial domes!
Sorry @thebuilder for this derailing... but it just shows our love for your work!
About partial domes: those bastards are an hell to get done properly. :grin2:

#36 ·
Is that word bearers brass etch daemon head on the land raider doors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.