Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

40k Gathering Storm

21K views 178 replies 29 participants last post by  Kharn The Complainer 
#1 · (Edited)
I think this deserves it's own thread because it's going to be a pretty significant event. We got a teaser intro over on the Warhammer Cummunity page.

The Eye of Terror is about to open and unleash a tide of darkness, Daemons and traitors into an already beset Imperium. Against the unified might of the Traitor Legions stand the heroes of the Cadian Gate, who will stop at nothing to drive back the Gathering Storm.

The scene is set for the most epic narrative in the history of the 41st Millennium – a fitting celebration of 30 years of Warhammer 40,000 and a great way to kick off the next 30 years of grim darkness in the far future.

The Gathering Storm begins with the epic events detailed in the Fall of Cadia – available for pre-order on January 7th.

The miniatures accompanying the first Gathering Storm book represent a few of the factions that stand against the Legions of Chaos, including: our first plastic Inquisitor miniature, the huge and hunched form of an ancient Archmagos Dominus, and the angelic Saint Celestine, resurrected (or possibly, saved from the dust bin) leading the Imperium’s armies.

There's also a few hints in the Regimental Standard.

Greetings Guardsmen,

Today’s news comes from Cadia, where everything is fine, and where you’ll be redeployed to with immediate effect.

As many of you know, Cadia is the fortress world of the Cadian Gate – a shining bastion of light that stands sentinel over the best warp route for light-years around.

It watches over the Ocularis Terribus, also known as the Eye of Terror – so named as those inside are all terrified to turn their eyes towards the Imperium and Cadia, for fear of the righteous wrath that would fall upon them were the Imperium ever to deem them worthy of destruction.

Occasionally, particularly brave or foolish fleets have been known to tentatively spill from the Eye of Terror and then, in a panic, attack Cadia. To this date, they have never succeeded in breaching the iron defences of the world, and they never will.

We have recently received word that such a fleet is inbound to Cadia, likely another fragmentary rabble of degenerates and traitors. You are being shipped to Cadia, as such an invasion represents a unique chance to witness the glorious Cadian armed forces in battle, and not in any way because they need reinforcing.*

You are being sent there to witness and learn from such visionary commanders as, Lord General Troskzer, Knight Commander Pask, and maybe even the legendary Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed. Over 1,000 other regiments, several Space Marine Chapters and a dozen Imperial Knight households will be joining you for this learning opportunity.

So, in summary. Everything is fine on Cadia. You’re being deployed there immediately, but that is great, because everything is fine and you might get to meet a Hero of the Imperium.

Thoughts for the Day:
‘Cadia Stands! It will stand until the Eye burns cold.’
– Major Lord Castellan Creed**

*Though you will be required to take part in potentially deadly combat situations
**Paraphrased for dramatic effect.

See less See more
2 3
#3 ·
Please do not let this be the thin end of an "age of sigmarfication" wedge!

Love the inquisitor mini, the celestine mini is great but I prefare the old metal one with years of dust on it in my pile of unpainted stuff to be painted pile! The magos , I'm not feeling the love for him, to many fine dainty bits sticking out

#7 ·
These appear to be in the January WD, but as the leak comes from a Spanish version, these may or may not be a 40k release rather than an AoS one. ...
Looking at the backs of the guys in the foreground, this definitely looks like an AoS release.

#5 ·
Not at all happy with the pricing and release style for the Magos, Saint Celestine and Inquisitor: as one box. Triumvirate of the Imperium for £50 contains all three...

Well that's great but I only want one, the Magos. Not bothered about Celestine and I have no use for the Inquisitor. But if I want the Magos for my Mechanicus army I need to either buy two figures I don't want as well or buy a Magos separate on eBay for an inflated price...

LotN

#6 ·
But if I want the Magos for my Mechanicus army I need to either buy two figures I don't want as well or buy a Magos separate on eBay for an inflated price...
Or you could buy the box, and be the one selling Celestine and the Inquisitior at over inflated prices.

#8 · (Edited)
From /u/Sanguinius on Reddit:

Well, I was having beers with my GW source the other night and the topic got onto the Fall of Cadia and the coming story arcs and releases. He claims to know out to mid-2017 what is going to happen, but obviously needs to remain tight lipped. I did get the following tidbits though:

• Outside of Celestine and her Geminii bodyguards, there are no plans in the next 5 months for any SoB boxes/kits.
  • The first loyal Primarch to 'wake up' will be Roboute, and not Russ/Lion/Vulkan as many predict. Blankets will be counted! Spirits will be lieged! :)
  • Trayzn is likely going to be releasing a 'Salamander' from prison. With a twinkle in his eye he quoted: 'It might not be Vulkan though.'
  • In regards to the Triumvirate of the Imperium on Cadia, there will be others. Think of an Eldar team containing an Eldar/Dark Eldar combo, with the[–]Sanguinius[S] 2 points 12 hours ago
    If it makes you feel any better, he hasn't been wrong on anything he's told me yet.
    He didn't say there wouldn't be plastic Sisters, it's just that with the release schedule, we won't be seeing any before May....or more correctly, if they exist, they don't appear on the release schedule.
    From what I am led to believe, the focus of this Fall of Cadia release is on the 'Triumvirate of the Imperium'; and doesn't necessarily mean a Primarch is going to show for this release window.

Exodites thrown in.
That's all he could say. Discuss away. He's a very good source who gave me the Imp Agents + Traitor Legion info a few weeks back, so I have very good confidence that his info is legit.
Edit: A lot of speculation in the last few hours is leaning towards Dorn being woken in Trazyn's collection noting the presence of Imp Fists and Black Templars. This is purely speculation, but has anyone thought of Sigismund? The lore says that Sigismund went hunting for Abaddon after the Battle for Terra and was never see again....this is purely speculation on my behalf, but it would certainly tie-in the choice of the Black Templars/Imp Fist matchup on Cadia, wouldn't it?
Sanguinius[S] 11 points 23 hours ago To tell you the truth though, I don't know how GW are going to attack the Loyalist Primarchs model wise. Roboute already has a FW model, and placing that next to Magnus, the loyalists are going to be pretty underwhelming size-wise, surely?
And how much can you already improve on Rowboat's model? Add a neck scar? :)
Apparently my man was saying that Roboute wakes up quite pissy when he sees the mass religion bullshit the Imperium has become!
RE: "RIP Sisters":
[–]Sanguinius[S] 2 points 12 hours ago
If it makes you feel any better, he hasn't been wrong on anything he's told me yet.
He didn't say there wouldn't be plastic Sisters, it's just that with the release schedule, we won't be seeing any before May....or more correctly, if they exist, they don't appear on the release schedule.
From what I am led to believe, the focus of this Fall of Cadia release is on the 'Triumvirate of the Imperium'; and doesn't necessarily mean a Primarch is going to show for this release window.

#12 · (Edited)
Let the storm gather! I can't wait for them to delve in to the way-back story of the 40k universe with Eldar and Necrons having more and more explained. Not too much as their mystique is kinda what makes them interesting, but enough that we see some seriously long-term plans come to fruition.

EDIT: Looks like the Eldar are becoming the Aeldari just like the Imperial Guard and Space Marines became the Astra Militarum and Adeptus Astartes. Rebrand ahoy!/?

Linky

#16 ·
I guess the events of Death Masque got retconned, if Ynnead is growing strong instead of dispersing. So it looks like Slaanesh is on track to bite it in 40k as well now.

But whom or what could fill such a hole in the chaotic pantheon? 40k has no Horned Rat waiting in the sidelines as the obvious candidate for Disorder.

#17 ·
Not necessarily. Eldrad's ritual did reach it crescendo, and might actually have worked SOMEWHAT despite the Eldar's general propensity for screwing the Imperium over coming back to bite them in the ass hard. Ynnead's "full apotheosis" was denied, but apparently, they got THIS, at least.

#19 ·
Who says it is a lad though........ from another angle where the warp lightning or whatever it is is not hiding features there is boob armour :shok: :unsure:

#20 ·
Presumably because, if the whole Ynnead thing went through even vaguely according to plan, (s)he consists of Eldar souls and stole a gigantic bunch of those from Slaanesh. So there's a definite taint from the start. The Eldar screwed up creating one god, let's not assume they can't screw it up AGAIN on this more deliberate attempt :)

The really interesting bit is what (s)he and Saint Direct-from-the-Emperor-to-you Celestine will have to say to each other...

#22 ·
Yes according to the fluff with the death masque box set it dealt with the attempt of birthing Ynnead by Eldrad but I think everyone can guess what happens because of the SM DW involvement :angry:

#23 ·
I wonder if we have The Laughing God around the corner as well. Personaly I think he should have been the first pick. But this Avatar of Ynead looks intresting. Want to see more fluff around he/she soon.
The Laughing God is still a complete God though, right? He hasn't been broken down into Avatars like Khaine or Ynnead, I think, so making a model for him maybe more complicated I think. Of course, I could be wrong, so someone feel free to correct me :smile2:.

I don't know how I feel about the Yncarne Avatar. A part of me like's it, and another part of me feel like it's a little too much.

The other two models are dope though, would consider finally buying into a Craftworld force if the Gathering Storm II formations are cool enough ^^.

#26 ·
I thought that the Solitaire was the champion for the Harlequins because the laughing god & she who thirsts duel for the soul of the Solitaire when they expire....

#27 ·
In the Harlequin performances, The Great Harlequin plays Cegorach and the Solitaire plays Slaanesh. Slaanesh gets the soul of the Solitaire - this is why they are seen as damned by the other eldar. I think this is why Solitaires eat the souls of other eldar (I think the book this was referenced in was called masque of vyle - it was tied in with the dark eldar trilogy) When the Solitaire dies, slaanesh claims the soul of the Solitaire, but the laughing god has the chance to fight for the soul and sometimes, but not always tricks Slaanesh and wins the soul of the solitaire.
So the Solitaire is 'kinda' a champion of slaanesh and the great harlequin is the mortal champion of the laughing god.

A buffed up Great Harlequin would be a great addition to the harlequins imo

#63 · (Edited)
They didn't just put him on trial, I'm pretty sure they had to created new LAWS to be able to do it. "Misappropriation of the Eldar's mutual destiny" indeed.

Massive rules leak of The Shattering of Biel Tan
http://m.imgur.com/a/dbR41
Some interesting stuff in there... Especially the many occurances of 7".

#31 ·
Well, if Yvraine is absorbing dead Eldar... I can only say they apparently go straight to the hips. Remember kids, if you want to maintain your figure cut Eldar souls from your diet :)

#34 · (Edited)
By the Emperor!

Guilliman returns! An alliance with the Eldar and Cypher?! To save the Imperium?!

Will definitely be getting this.

LotN

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.