Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Deathwatch army composition for tourney
View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 03-05-17, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Knighty

My actual final list was different to what was listed. I did still have the devastators but had them attached to a unit. My watch master actually doesn't come with upgrades asides from relics and i took an ossesus key relic on him so i could get some additional bonus against vehicles if any go close or i managed to do (turned out to be useless as i never lasted long enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Against genestealer cults, range, ignoring cover, and focus fire are the best tactics.
I had only two units plus my watch master, i did try to focus fire on all of the closest models but i couldn't kill enough of them and as they were 3" away at the start and many more 6" i couldn't keep them at range, i believe only my corvus had ignore cover weapons and by the time that came on it was too late.

Quote:
so I'm not sure if your opponent was able to use it in a farsight enclave army.
I can't really say for absolutle sure as i'm not a tau player but i'm fairly sure he did use it as farsight enclave.

Quote:
Bringing it down to 2 wounds, as a battlesuit its not considered a vehicle. I will say I am kind of surprised you were able to do that, since its T6 and has a save the equivalent of your terminators.
Yeah my bad i meant wounds not hull points, i keep thinking vehicles because their mechs XD. Yeah the guardian spear is pretty great with the AP 2 and the 5 attacks on the inital charge.

Quote:
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but gate of infinity is treated like deep striking, so how did that squad charge in the same turn?
I assumed he was able to do because of relentless? I'm proberly wrong about that but i didn't know much about the power asides from hey i can teleport right in front of you so i didn't really contest when he said he was charging in that same turn. :/

Quote:
To be fair, and nothing against you, but you did go into a tourny with a non optimized list that you did not appear to know that well. Thats the kind of place where you really learn how much you know, and how good you are at adapting to situations.
I mean you raise a fair point. I did mess around with the list abit more before i decided it and did go through all my rules alot more and found out about alot of abilities and rules which i wasn't using in previous matches and i was using them in the tounrey. My main issue with the matches was i couldn't deal with so many targets in front of me with just the two squads, and the tau was well... that Large Blast and the Flamer walker which i couldn't focus down as i didn't have line of sight. I did learn a fair bit of just what to expect when you go into these kinda things and hopefully will be able to regroup and avenge the fallen in the next one, was only a small $10 tournament so its not like i lost out on it XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Deathwatch itself doesn't really have any really good counters handy, though Templates should clear a lot of it up.
Yeah my flamers did do a great job of wiping whole units when they were firing but on his turn he made sure to wipe out the flamers, not hard to do when they are at the front.

Quote:
Only real way to fight Tau is good use of LOS blockers
The game wasn't done at any officel GW stores and was done at a local hobby store, they had some LOS blockers but not enough to cover every board effectively so i didn't really have much option for LOS blocks on the board i was on.

Quote:
Best tip I have it to always ask if you don't know what a specific enemy can do .He's not actually allowed to Gate of Infinity across the board and Assault in the same turn, as Gate of Infinity uses Deep Strike rules
Yeah given what happened during that i'll definetly asking to see the rules for shit like this in future because i didn't really contest anything much, mainly because i don't know all the rules for warhammer as well, still getting back into the swing of all the different rules. Like i had the guy i fought the Genestealer cult remove models that were "closest to the firing unit" when i used blast markers on some of his units when they weren't even under the marker, i did think that was wrong and its under the blast marker only and tried to argue that but ended up just accepting it, though i looked it up after and turns out i was right.

Quote:
both for your own army and the enemy's as knowledge very much IS power. You'll find you'll do better the more you play, so... play more
If only i could have all the xeno weaknesses downloaded into my brain like they do lol. Yeah i did have some idea with the genestealers and what they would do as i read my uncles codex on em as he was thinking of starting an army of his own and some it stuck with the infiltrate.

I suffered a pretty crushing defeat but i still have faith in my deathwatch and i'll defenetly keep playing games with them. I might actually invest in some IG troop based units so i can have more bodies so i'm not as easy to just wipe out like i was, i'll see how the wallet is feeling XD.

Cheers for the feedback as always, apologies for the Trump sized wall of text

Be warned he who looks not where he walks for he may find himself facing death itself.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome