Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Blackadder Attempts to build an Imperial Warmonger Titan
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-17, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Blackadder

Blackadder's Flag is: USA

Getting the right angle:

I've wracked my brains trying to come up with a way to manufacture legs that were angled slightly akimbo (about 10%) so my Warmonger can be posed in the classic manner. Most of the pipe fitting models I have seen have the legs parallel to each other and it looks boxy and strange to the artistic eye. Never mind that parallel legs or even legs canted in to a pigeon toed stance are more amenable to a proper walking gate. For a static stance nothing compares to the rock solid look of a spraddled posture.

This realized, getting the proper fittings is out. You have three choices; 90, 45, and 22.5 and that's it, so to get the requisite 10 I'll have to manufacture them.

Here's my solution:

I bought two caps and drilled and taped two 1/4 20 NC threads into the caps and short threaded coupling. I purposely made two different angles, one 10 and one about 12, as once the legs are built I can chose which angle I like better or maybe keep both for a bit of variation. I screwed in two 6 inch threaded rods that will serve as the thigh shafts, thin and strong and able to support the ten pounds or more of the upper body when finished.

http://i.imgur.com/tPwX9xN.jpg

Next I slipped two styrene tubes over the threaded rods that will serve as the glue base for all the thigh shaft construction and ultimately the detail of the upper legs.

http://i.imgur.com/TUygS3w.jpg

Your pardon for the hiatus but I took a last minute vacation for the past few weeks to clear my head and tour Florida.

"It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome