Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Salamander 30k list (Help Please)
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-16, 06:11 PM
Deus Mortis

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

I agree with darkreever that a Praetor at <2000 points it often not worth the investment. I assume that the reason you are taking a Praetor or a Deletagus is to be able to take the Rite of War. If not, with the list you've got constructed, you can so you might want to think about it. Also, I'm not sure if you meant you wanted to take a Primus Medicae to go with the Firedrakes because the regular Apothecary you buy as an Elites choice can't join Firedrakes (they have a specific list of units they can join).

If you are buying the Betrayal at Calth box, then (trying to use as much as you can from the box and sticking close-ish to you original list) I would run something like this:

HQ:

Deletagus + Cataphractii Armour + Dragonscale Storm Shield + Master-crafted Chainfist + Rite of War: The Covenant of Fire = 125 points

(Uses the [email protected] Terminator leader. All you need to do is buy a Storm Shield for him.)

Troops:

Tactical Squad (10 men) + Legion Vexilla + Artificer Armour + Master-Crafted Power Weapon + Melta-bombs + Rhino = 225 points

Tactical Squad (10 men) + Legion Vexilla + Artificer Armour + Master-Crafted Power Weapon + Melta-bombs + Rhino = 225 points

(Uses the 30 tactical marines you get)

Elites:

Firdrake Squad (5 men) + 5 Dragonscale Storm Shield + 5 Thunderhammers (one on the sergeant is Master-crafted) + Spartan Assault Tank = 645 points

Contemptor Dreadnought + Master-Crafted Multi-melta + Master-Crafted Melta-gun in the DCCW = 190 points

(The Contemptor you get in [email protected] and you could, in theory, convert the Firedrakes from the terminators you get if you so wanted)

Heavy Support:

Whirlwind Scorpius = 115 points

(You would need to buy this, but it's wonderful and cheap in terms of points)

Total: 1750

You've still got 4 scoring units, but everything has Move Through Cover, the Dreadnought gets some free Master-crafted upgrades (which basically makes it's weapons twin-linked) and a lot of your army is getting 5++ against melta/plasma/flamer/volkite. The slight issue you might have is with anti-flyer, but given that the Spartan has 4 Twin-linked lascannon shots and the Contemptor has it's Master-crafted S8 guns and most flyers are AV 10-12, I think you can pretty reliably fish for sixes.

The only slight issue yo might have is the issue of any deathstar list. The Firedrakes + party bus is over 1/3 of your points and so if it dies you might hit a snag. However, it will hit like a tonne of bricks and with the tactical squads zipping around, the Contemptor breaking things and the Scorpius pounding units to dust, I reckon you should be ok.

Hopefully that helps.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome