Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Stormcast and Space Marines - What Makes Them Differ?

16K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  MidnightSun 
#1 ·
After seeing all the flaming on the net about the Sigmarines, I have decided to collate information together to show that while the Stormcast Eternals do share some similar features to the Space Marines, they are actually quite different. So let us begin;

Firstly we'll look at background. A Space Marine, no matter his Chapter of origin, will have mostly the same backstory. Born on a Feral/Death/Hive/etc world, chosen for the Chapter by either genetic selection, trials to find the most worthy, or some other method and is uplifted to become a Space Marine. He is always and invariably a pre-teen male human child, because that is the only option to create a Space Marine due to the Primarchs themselves being male and the xenophobic attitude of the Imperium. Though the minute details will differ, and do produce wildly different results, ultimately each Space Marine shares a similar background to every other Space Marine in existence.

The Stormcast on the other hand have much different origins. For starters they are not limited to one gender, both male and female warriors can be elevated to become Stormcast. That alone creates a great deal of variety in that the Stormcast themselves seem to identify as male, but if some of them were originally female, how would that affect the personalities they create or are created for them during their Forging? Would it change how other Stormcast view them? Would their female personalities be subsumed or would they actually retain knowledge that they were once women? Next, they are not limited to a single race. When Sigmar uplifted those that would become the first Stormcast, he didn't limit himself to his own race. Heroes from the Aelfs, both Higborn (Asur) and Exiles (Druchii) and even Wanderers (Wood), Duardin (Dwarves), and even the Orruks (Orcs) were chosen and elevated. So underneath that Stormcast armour there could actually be the soul of a Dark Aelf or an Orc, perhaps even a Vampire or a Giant; what could that mean to a Stormcast? Would they retain memories of what race they used to be? And if they do how could a Dark Aelf, admittedly one that was a hero against Chaos, fit into an army based around honour and loyalty? Could there be a divide between the human and non-human Stormcast, or does their diversity make them stronger?

Another differing aspect of background is that where Space Marines are uniformally children, Stormcast could have been any age. Some might have been children that showed heroism, but the majority would have been adults with fully formed personalities. One reason that Space Marines show such stilted personalities in comparison to mortals is that they are changed before their personalities can develop fully, whereas a Stormcast already has a full personality. I am not sure at the moment if each Stormcast has full access to the memories of his/her previous life, some might do and some may not, but each Stormcast would have a full range of emotion and understanding that a Space Marine would lack because they had time to actually develop these personality aspects before their Ascension.

Next we look at death. When a Space Marine dies, he dies period. He ain't coming back. Stormcast on the other hand can and will come back. When a Stormcast is slain they are sent back to Sigmaron and reforged until they can fight again, similar to Chaos Daemons. However this comes with a price, every time a Stormcast is reforged they lose a piece of their personality. Eventually this builds up and the Stormcast is left an automaton that has no thought beyond fighting and dying again and again against the hordes of Chaos until either total victory or defeat. This means that unlike the Space Marines each Stormcast is, or will be, ancient as they amass centuries of warfare with no end in sight. When a Space Marine dies his experience is lost, but a Stormcast can come back and keep fighting. But the build up of fracturing in personality means that each Stormcast will differ not just in personality but capability of thought as well, some may be far along this spectrum and be little more than robots, while some may not have died at all and have their full range of memory and personality. This means that the Stormcast will have a wider range of personality to each character that sets them apart from the Space Marines.

More to come as more information is released.

LotN

See less See more
#43 ·
In 40k we have skull and space marines as leitmotif, now we have skulls, space marines AND lightning (and hammers). At least it's more variety.

#44 ·
I am currently reading the new book and one thing of note they are much more "human" than space marines. Plus they pretty much tire like normal warriors well I should say they would tire like a chaos warrior.

Honestly I just view them as a "good" version of the chaos warriors/knights that's how they seem like to me imo.

#45 ·
Found this recently, a quote from Josh Reynolds on the difference between Space Marines and Stormcast and I think it's well worth a read;

Josh Reynolds said:
"Well, for starters, Space Marines are chosen as children, tortured by SCIENCE!, and then drafted into an eternity of being monastic murder machines whose sole purpose is to hold up the crumbling foundations of an omnicidal dystopia in the name of a rotting carcass that eats psykers like chiclets. They're emotionally stunted orphans who were brainwashed and weaponized before being unleashed on a galaxy where EVERYTHING is trying to kill them. They never even had a chance to be people before someone turned them into a gun instead. Stormcast, on the other hand, are dead heroes, chosen for their valour and faith, resurrected and sent to free the Mortal Realms from the abominations currently running the show, on behalf of a benevolent God-King (Though benevolent is seriously up to debate). They're traumatized heroes who had lives, personalities and histories prior to being crammed into primary colored hulkbuster armor and filled full of lightning so that they could go save their descendants from the eldritch horrors of a nightmare dimension. They endure death after death, losing a bit more of their soul each time, in order to prevent anyone else from suffering the fate which befell them. One group are so far removed from humanity as to be utterly alien. The other group are so human it causes them pain. One group feels little in the way of emotion, the other group feels emotion as strongly as they did before death. One group hates and fears the alien. The other group allies regularly with space-lizards, skeletors and green monster-men. One group is the personification of the grim future in which they live. The other is a thing born of hope. The similarities are cosmetic: big guys in easily paintable armor sell better than little dudes with fiddly bits. But the context for those cosmetic similarities is quite different. Think of it this way...Space Marines are Batman and Stormcast are Captain America. Both are super-heroes, both wear costumes, both punch bad guys, both save people. But they ain't the same, are they?"
It also has the side-effect of making the Stormcast sound even more like utter badasses.

LotN

#46 ·
I think that it's a solid take on it in many ways, particularly on the cosmetic front (I've never seen the similarity other than 'they're in big plate armour', which basically all fantasy guys are anyway. Have you seen Warcraft armour?), but I disagree with one line in there.

"[Space Marines] feel little in the way of emotion"

While that is, I think, wrong, the rest of it is a good analysis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.