Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Conservation of Warhammer Fantasy
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-15, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
MidnightSun
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sworn Radical View Post
Didn't find it boring at all, and actually an improvement over its predecessor.
But of course the viewpoint whether something is boring or not is highly subjective.

So what ?
You only ever see a handful of magic items from the BRB either, don't you ?
At least in tournament lists or those that claim to be.
And Dwarves got a LOT more potential magic items than all other races with 8th ed. army books.

I can have a fun game anyway.
Yeah, a 12'' stubborn bubble is a tough nut, depending on your own list, but honestly, there's 'worse' things in 8th.
But like I mentioned in my first post, most of these things are ENTIRELY match-up dependant.
Fair point on the subjectivity, but nobody I've ever met other than Dwarf players like Dwarves or want to fight Dwarves.

Incidentally, against what list is the 12 bubble of Stubborn not an amazing buy?

Because Dwarves pull this bullshit all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvti1MyfFo4

Quote:
Tomb kings are functional.
Sure, not one of the most powerful books around, but who cares.
- Fragile ? Granted. But so are other T3 W1 models.
- Weak shooting ? Whut ? Tomb Kings have exceptional shooting capabilities. Of course the point is kinda moot when you try to compare a 6 pt. Skeleton Archer to a 15 or 16 pt. Glade Guard. Or a 90 pt. Skull Catapult to a 210 pt. Hellcannon. Yes, TK are not a shooting army, but shooting is not essential to a working 8th ed. list either. Heck, my latest Wood Elf list includes exactly zero bows.
- Weak melee ? Yup, TK won't see a victory without some finesse and the right combinations. Obviously, there's armies that are easier to play. But in my book, things get boring when everything just plays equal.
- The Lore of Nehekara is pretty versatile actually. The only thing which I'd change is the highest level requirement for the Hierophant. Nehekara would be ace if it could be run on a level 2, whilst your level 3 / 4 liche high priest would run Death or something else.
On a sidenote, TK won the 2015 US Masters.
Fragile dudes, fragile characters because they have shit armour or easily bypassable defences, they start dying randomly when your Level 4 bites it, fragile monsters because monsters are fragile (and the monsters don't have good damage output at all), and the general lack of armour at all exacerbates the T3 (Dark Elves are T3 W1, but given that their characters can get a 2+ save comically easily, without any magic armour, kind of nullifies that, and they can kill you before you even attack so who needs toughness? 30 Grave Guard with GWs and Banner of the Barrows have the strength and attacks and weapons to kill 30 Executioners, but not when the Executioners are killing more than 2/3 of the unit before they swing). The Screaming Skull catapult is okay for the leadership tests, but Str 3 shooting? It's total ass and I've never seen it do appreciable damage in any army I've played. You go Black Powder or you go home. Weak melee speaks for itself - low WS/S/I/A on slow guys. Lore of Nehekhara ain't got shit on Death, Life, Light, Slaanesh, Vampires or Shadows.

Quote:
Bat Swarms are actually useful in the right lists, but you'd have to build around them, which many people don't like.
Coven Thrones .... yeah, could be improved in one aspect ... they needed to be cheaper.
Their rules support using them with other units (conferring ASL, but T2 no-save Swarms bleed combat res like nothing else in the history of ever and you lose combat by vast amounts by sending them into combat, in my experience. Coven Throne is too fragile and low Leadership to have a meaningful effect on most battles.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome