Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Slaves of the Blood God

56K views 383 replies 33 participants last post by  Kreuger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I recently decided to finally take the plunge and play some 40k. I've been buying GW minis since I was a youngin', but I've never built an army or played a game.

A Chaos army was the only real choice, and given my love of bloodshed, Khorne was already waiting for me to start spilling blood and collecting skulls in his name. There is literally no way I'm going to buy products from GW, so I've been snatching up deals wherever I can on ebay. This entails a lot of paint stripping, hacking, and customizing -- which I'm totally cool with. I'm not so worried about being competitive at the moment, I just want to have some fun and learn the rules of the game.

I love any opportunity to be creative, and although I'm no expert, I'm happy with my work so far. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism. I look forward to them, in fact!

1) Berzerker Aspiring Champion: This guy came to me via ebay with no weapons in his hands. He came with some 'zerker heads and backpacks, which I needed for my bikers. I love the metal aspiring champions, so the lack of weapons didn't bother me at all.

This was a relatively straightforward conversion. I decided to arm him with a power sword, taken from the WFB Khorne Bloodcrushers. The decapitated head came from the Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard, I believe. The backpack is a standard 6th ed/whatever Chaos Marine backpack, and the spike from metal Chaos terminators. The cape is from WFB warriors of Chaos. He was sculpted in a sort of triumphant pose, and to me there could be no greater trophy than the skull of a loyalist dog.

Coming soon: Daemon prince, bikers, lord on juggernaut.

See less See more
#234 ·
Here's the original 'zerker, not looking too great but I tried out some weathering on his armor using a sponge and Vallejo gunmetal silver or whatever it's called:

I should have thinned the paint. I think I'd have liked it, otherwise. I may or may not bother painting the red trim around the silver "damage."

Here is the second 'zerker. This time again using Carroburg Crimson to wash the armor after a Bloodletter Glaze. The trim is Warplock Bronze with a wash of Agrax Earthshade followed by highlights of Balthasar Gold and Vallejo Brass:

I'm liking it so far. Notice on the back of his "bunny ears" I started messing with a sort of crosshatch type effect with the highlights. I like it, and the next time I'll try to be a little more systematic about it. The surface is large and flat, and only using edge highlights on it when it's being hit by the light source just doesn't make sense or look right. The way I painted it still doesn't look quite right, but it's a start!

#235 ·
That's definitely a step in the right direction. Though I think I'd go for an even more red or coppery bronze.

#236 ·
Here's the first berzerker with some watered down Blood for the Blood God to experiment with. I liked it on the cultists when painting on, but I think when flicking it on for a spattered blood effect it's a little nicer thinned down:

Here's our new boy with some highlights. First using Vallejo Vermillion, and then Vallejo Scarlet:

#239 · (Edited)
I've been working on my CSM army, as well. At least planning it out and such.

The Shadowborne

The basic fluff is that this is a force of chaos which worships and follows the orders of Be'lakor. While he isn't "helping" Abaddon do evil things, he is finding subversive ways to strengthen his warband. The pursuit of daemonic artifacts, relic vehicles, gene seeds, and other goodies has made them a force to be reckoned with.

The army contains some elements of all four gods, as is befitting to Be'lakor's history and stature, but for the most part this is an undivided force. Plenty of marines, cultists, helbrutes, aircraft, and so on. Plenty of sorcerers, and a few chaos lords as well.

They have been known to make alliances and cooperate with other chaotic armies to accomplish mutual goals, or deceive them into doing the heavy lifting before stabbing them in the back and robbing them blind. They follow Be'lakor, what did they expect? There have been recent reports of Be'lakor's forces attacking an Imperial forge world alongside the Brass Stampede Khorne Daemonkin legion...

Here is the basic color scheme:

And their sigil, which I think I can pull off freehanding:

I had a CSM primed black, so I decided to test out the paint scheme. I LOVE black and purple in combination and I've really been looking forward to painting some CSM in these colors.

Quick and dirty Vallejo Black and GW Xereus Purple:

Pretty happy with it.

Then I cleaned up the purple and washed the mini with GW Druchii Violet:

I like the effect very much. It's quite subtle. The purple is deepened a little bit, and the black has a very thin tint of purple as well as some very faint purple edge outlines.

#240 ·
I like the scheme. Simple but very effective, though more hinting at Slaanesh than the others, cuz purple. Still i like. Looking forward to seeing more.

#241 ·
I don't think that's really working. It looks generally Slaaneshi.

I think this needs sometime else more accent colours our some other major effect to make this look more characterful.

That shade of purple just isn't working for me.

#245 ·
All skulls in all ways.
Think this will really stand out when you do the metals. It'll break up the black more and make it look better.

#247 ·
add another wash to the eyes
Please don't - One of the best thing about the miniature right now is the striking brightness of his eyes. It really adds to the character in my opinion and you would dampen it with a wash.

One suggestion I would give it to wash the model after you have done the grey highlights - You can either wash it with purple or black, but the greys are a bit too dominant. He looks more greyish than black currently, which is the bane of any black color. It's why I hate painting it myself :D

#248 ·
Haha thanks Nord!

I'll leave the eyes alone, I do like them as-is myself, just figured they weren't green enough. I painted them white and then washed them with a watered down Vallejo green of sorts.

All the grey lines are much thicker than I intended them to be. I was using a 0/2 brush but next time I'll go even thinner, or just work on making the lines themselves thinner. It's not easy! Requires like no pressure whatsoever in the stroke.

#250 ·
And finally some work on Arctos Gorehowl himself:

Head from the Wrathmongers/Skullreapers kit, legs from the Chaos Lord on Manticore, and torso from World Eaters Rampagers. It took a LOT of work to get the legs filed down to the proper proportions:

Here he is with his pack on, from EvilCraft.eu:

And here's how he looks atop his dragon:

Still a long way from being completed, but it feels great to finally get started on the bastard. I plan to add quite a bit of greenstuff details, some brass khorne icons from FW, and who knows what else.

Oh, and here's a WIP shot of his daemon spear, Heartseeker:

#252 ·
...I can still add spikes and khornate details. I dunno, skulls come to mind?...
I think the problem with the sanguinary guard torso is that it is too slender and it is missing all of the flaring edges which are evident in the legs and shoulders. It's not baroque enough.

The rampager torso is a little plain compared to the shoulders, pack, and legs but at least it has plates and edges.

#254 · (Edited)
I'll be making homebrewed rules for him, and also running him as a bloodthirster since that's the closest thing there is that isn't obscene in terms of points cost, i.e. An'ggrath. I guess in large enough apoc games An'ggrath will work.

I'll tell you one thing, though. In my homebrewed rules he will NOT be T6! Also, his spear will be an Instant Death Daemon Weapon™. I guess that's two things.

#257 ·
If you needed any further evidence that I'm crazy, I'm pretty sure after my most recent acquisition I'm coming up on 50 juggernauts total in my collection.

This time I'm getting 8 metal bloodcrushers, a metal herald on jugger, and 3 metal bloodcrusher juggers without the bloodletters on top.

I fucking love it.

I think I'm gonna use a few of the damaged/incomplete juggernauts for juggerlord conversions and try to sell them on eBay, too. Practice my conversion skills and make a few bucks if I'm lucky.

#259 ·
Well, my friend you are surely earning your forum title.

#262 ·
I can just see the brass stampede info graphic coming together. =)

#264 ·
I would love to see those trend lines . . . With the increase in juggers the is a direct correlation to the amount of skulls reaped.

#265 ·
Finally painting my juggerspawn. I view them sorta like a pack of wolves; different colors and such, not a uniform scheme. I think I'll probably settle on 5 or 6 different schemes to use among all the juggers in my entire army, as this way there will be some cohesion at least and perhaps they could be considered "breeds" based on color.

Here is my work on the first:

Still a bit of work to go, but I'm liking it so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.