Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Star Wars Armada first impressions
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-15, 04:49 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I haven't bought the game yet, but I had the opportunity to play a couple of 300pt games with two core sets a couple days ago. The first thing I noticed was the Imperial SD looks fucking awesome! As does the Corellian corvette. The Nebulon-B Frigate was a different story. Both Frigates we used were quite badly bent, which isn't too much of a problem for us hobby veterans to fix, but anyone coming into the game from a non-hobby background is entitled to be annoyed that such an expensive product isn't perfect.

The gameplay itself is great, but quite odd having come from X-wing. You shoot before you move, so you really have to think about the order in which you activate your ships and squadrons. I played as the Rebels and lost 2/3 games, mostly because the Rebels need a better strategy than my 'fly right at the enemy SD' strategy. One thing I noticed was that the corvette is an awesome little ship and can pretty much take a SD 1v1, if you can get behind it. The Nebulon-B Frigate is a different story. The frigate has extremely weak sides (only 1 shield), which wouldn't be too bad, if it wasn't for the fact that it has massive side arcs (bigger than the other 2 ships) and no ability to redirect hits to the much better shielded prow. Not saying the ship is bad or anything, just that it requires some clever flying that someone new to the game might be incapable of.

Finally the Rebel X-wings are just hands down better than the Imperial TIE squadrons. My opponent tended to pimp out his capitol ships and take only a few TIE squadrons, which I was really able to punish him for. Once I eliminated his fighters I still had plenty of X-wings to put the hurt on his Star Destroyers, and their anti-ship armaments just can't dish the hurt out fast enough to get rid of those squadrons.

Overall I liked this game a lot more than I thought I would. I was gonna pass it up in favour of more X-wing and Imperial Assault, but it looks like I'm gonna have to invest in another FFG Star Wars game.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome