Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

M's Inq28 - Inquisitorial forces

10K views 63 replies 14 participants last post by  The Gunslinger 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.
I have been working on some servitors for an inquisitorial 40k force and for Inq28. Mainly as an experiment in using a tentacle/tube maker and weathering with oils. I've tried to emulate some of the techniques seen in John Blanche's models, as I find he paints in a more realistic way. I wanted to make a really grimy model, something that looks as though its been in the battlefield or a factory working in dirty conditions for years.

I didn't want to bombard you all with photos but if you want to see more: http://inq40k.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope you enjoy. Comments and criticism welcome.
~M

See less See more
#27 ·
I recently watched the fifth element. I love orange and haven't made any females yet so Leeloo as inspiration was a clear choice.

Some dry mock ups, mainly built from the amazing harlequins set. I wanted to capture her movement, and for her to have a strong presence. The head is a place holder and I hope to change it soon. I want to use a head like the sisters of battle but with the hair billowing forward. Does anyone know where I could get something similar?

In the second model I changed the back piece for the coat, I think it makes her look more like an inquisitor. I can't decide which I prefer. I also need to de-eldar her.

Comments and criticism welcome
~M

#28 ·
I was imagining a pose similar to trinity from the matrix, but sort of flying backwards.

She looks better with the arms swept back, and I reckon she would look better with a different set of legs. I've kind of gone off the idea for her now, as I just want her to be a warband member and with the coat and legs I think she would look too much like an inquisitor. So in the meantime I might try a different pose and save that model idea for something else
Something like this N.B. May be NSFW

Or something simple like this (SFW)

I'll probably opt for the simple one so I can actually get it built and painted.

On a separate note

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Mark acquired, approaching now"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The start of a Callidus Assassin?

I think change the thing on her arm to a blade, alter the gun slightly, a skull to her chest and add some purity seals and she make quite a nice Callidus assassin.
~M

#29 ·
I've done another mock up based on the top pose.
It needs a larger base and i'll replace the gun with an open hand or on the ground supporting her.
Undecided whether I should copy the clothing from that photo in greenstuff and make her into a death cult assassin?

~M

#31 ·
I've been particularly busy with university work recently but found time this weekend to make something I've been thinking about for a while.
My newest creation is an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitorial Henchman armed with a bolter-stake crossbow. The gun is a little large but I'm not particularly fussed. I think for game terms, it would be used as an autogun or something along those lines rather than a bolter.
Due to the angle of the crossbow it's been particularly hard to photograph

~M

#33 ·
@Mossy Toes - Thanks
I've changed the gun so that the crossbow string can be drawn back, added Bolts to his thigh, and holy nails in his head. I don't know how I feel about them but it is done now.

I think he will be a heretic that is being saved through repentance. I plan on adding a hood to cover his back.

~M

#34 ·
I've done a bit more work on the heretic henchman
I've partially sculpted a hood, added shoulder guards and also a cable from his respirator on the back to his chest however when I was sculpting the hood I accidentally touched it so I had to remove it. I'm going to replace it with a slightly larger tube. I've also added the silver bolts to his leg.
I still haven't decided how I want to base him. I think it will be a simple dirt/sand ground.
He's almost done. I need to finish the right side of the hood, add the tube and also sculpt straps to the bolts on his thigh.

~M

#36 ·
@Iraqiel - thanks!

I have finished the Ordo Hereticus henchman with a crossbow-bolter combi weapon! After the amount of effort I put into this character and suggestion from a forum member I am going to upgrade him from a henchman to a named character. He will be a heretic/witch/psychic hunter.

Purity seals and purity scrolls are held in place via nails into his legs. Sculpted gloves.
Bolts to hold his breast plate in place. Bandaging around his legs.

The bolts on his leg are strapped to his thigh. A respiratory on his back aids breathing in harsh conditions. The only "extravagance" he allows. His hood flops down onto his respirator. Pouches contain holy ointments and supplies.

I've included a couple more photos, some 40k rule ideas (not familiar with Inq28 rules yet but should give an idea of the sort of character I want to build and the bits I used on my Blog

~M

#37 ·
My next project is going to be something larger hopefully. I want something big I can come back too and chip away at whilst making smaller characters.

I really like the Metal Gear Solid games, especially the cyborg and organic elements. I am planning to make a 40k-ified version of the Gekko. Its like a scout AI walker.

My 40k version will have a heretic bound to the underside, and will be about 90mm high.
Here's a preliminary sketch, with a size comparison

I'm going to sculpt the legs out of milliput with a bit of greenstuff. Then add bits to 40k-ify it. I'm also going to do the feet as claws.

I also picked the mordheim elf from ebay. I plan on adding a helmet similar to the keeper model I made, with a hood.

~M

#38 ·
How in the nameless monstrosities of the Warp have I missed this plog.
All of these conversions are spectacular & full of character. I'm really looking forward to seeing these painted up.
+1 rep for you.

#40 ·
Thanks guys! @The Gunslinger - go for it, sounds great! :)

I've started on something new, hooray for holidays!
I was inspired by this picture by Bloommer on deviantart

It is a very rough mock up of "The Sherpa", because some one needs to carry all the stuff!
It's also the first time I've used milliput, I mixed it with a little greenstuff but I can't say I am initially overly enamoured...

~M

#41 ·
I have done some more work on this creature. After fixing the legs to the torso, the model looked weird, the limbs looked gangly, the stomach long and the bottom flat! In the inspiration picture the buttocks are quite high up and this was not the case with my initial mock up. The only way I felt I could rectify this was by re-sculpting the thighs. This was the first work properly sculpting limbs. It really helped having the plastic underneath. The muscles won't be anatomically correct because I just made it up, I figured it could all be synthetic muscle stitched into place to help him lift the great thing on his back!

~M

#42 ·
Shaping up nicely, thanks for taking the time to share the work in progress pictures with us!

#43 ·
Slow progress on this one
I've decided I'm going to sculpt a lot of it and unfortunately that means a lot of drying time. I can't work on the arms until I've done the legs and I don't really want to work on the top until the arms and head are done...
But thankfully the legs are pretty much done!

I'm waiting on some bits, I've ordered from france before and even they have arrived sooner! But the plan is to have piping from the white tube on his right hand side up to a gas mask on one of the ghoul heads. I'm also going to add further detail to the loin cloth at the top.

~M

#44 ·
I've finished the legs now, unfortunately the left leg broke at the ankle to I had to pin it back. Once I'm back at uni where most of my supplies are I think I'll add a strip of plasticard to the front to hopefully provide a bit more support.
I've added the arms and started to sculpt them, although at the moment they look like arm bands!
I've added some detail to the loin cloth and also started word on the head and back

I think I might take a little break from this guy and work on something else for a while because although I do enjoy sculpting little bits. I'm finding it a bit taxing sculpting so much. I'm going to go back to kit bashing for a while!
~M

#46 ·
I've stayed kind of quiet, since I know this is an iterative, progressing process, though the raw base of the build hasn't over-impressed me just yet... but it's definitely starting to come together, with the addition of the top bit and half the head. I mean, by all means, feel free to take a break--it's your project, and all. I'm just glad that this one is finally nearing a place where I can feel justified in praising it, because Emperor knows the rest of your build have earned that praise!

#48 ·
@Mossy Toes - Agreed he wasn't particularly impressive or attractive. I post earlier shots because I like being able to see the process for myself and to have images to refer back to. I find the negative comments much more useful as they tend to point out things I haven't seen/thought about. Admittedly there wasn't much to comment on but don't hold back if you don't like something. Thanks for the comments :) @kickboxerdog - tentacle/tube maker, I think i mentioned it in a bit more detail earlier. Really easy to use, give it a google :)
Thanks guys :)

I've done a bit more. Not much but i think I've decided on a head.

I've started a couple of other conversions but my phone died before I could take photos of them

#50 ·
Thank you guys :)

Rogue Trader - Inspired by some of Blanche's work. He's going to hold a cane in his right hand.

Advisor - head is blue tacked will be trimmed so the model is not so tall. Thinking of using a different head.

Crusader - a simple idea for a crusader. Waiting for the ad mech troops kit to arrive and I am planning to use the helmet from there. The body is a cast converted imperial guard torso.

~M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.