Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - 4 Riptides in a 1K Tournament
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 02:55 AM
The Sturk

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
Played in the monthly 1K at my local store today and got tabled by someone playing 4 riptides in turn 6. I ran two Knights, one 5 man tac squad with a librarian and another in a drop pod with a multimelta. My opponent put one riptide, with 6 haywire shots plus D3 strength 8 shots in front of a knight and another, same layout jumped 24" behind another the same knight. I could only Ion Shield one side and so I was wiped out in one round, then he did the same thing to another knight after i defeated a riptide in CC (after 2 rounds really bad rolling on my part and great 3+ invuls on his part). The troops were wiped out shortly after.

Other than CC how do Knights deal with that many haywire shots? I know nothing of Tau but I want to buy the codex just to figure out what the hell they can take.

I was stunned, especially after tabling a Necron player in turn 3 my first game.

Edit: Also I did not know that I can only snap shot my multimelta in the turn in arrives from a drop pod...
What kind of Riptides was he running? Because Riptides from the standard Tau codex do not have any haywire weaponry at all. I don't know if he was running a Forgeworld variant or from the Farsight Supplement, as I have none of those, perhaps someone who plays Tau more can inform me on this...

As for the Multi-melta, yes you would only be able to snap-fire it as Deepstriking counts as moving at-least combat speed for it's occupants, and since a Multi-Melta is a Heavy weapon, you'd have to not move to fire it normally.

@Vaz : 5 Storm-teks is 125 points. The only thing they lack is a reliable delivery service. So one could be replaced with a Harbinger of Despair with the Veil of Darkness for Deepstriking, or attach Obyron to the unit.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome