Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Renegade 2k

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Uveron 
#1 ·
The lost and the damned finally return! I've had the majority of these models since the old eye of terror book. Now I can finally put them all on the field again. It's even all got objective secured!

I'm going for a take all comers list. The focus is primarily on the feel of the army, with competitiveness coming a close second. Fluff would be the last of my concerns.

The Idea is to walk a giant mass of bodies forward turn 1, hopefully accomplishing a horde feeling. The ferocious, in your face chaos part really starts to dial up on turn two when all or most the reserves come in.

Arch-demagogue: revolutionary, tzeench, carapace armor, power axe, melta bombs - 50
Fearless anchor to the 20 man infantry unit. Tzeench was taken for the spawn but BS2 snap shots will be fun.

Command Squad: lascannon, command vox - 70
Chimera: multi-laser, heavy bolter, militia - 65
Sits by the 2 10 man infantry units, (hopefully) fixing their leadership.

20 Infantry Command I: 2 autocannons, 4 flamers, lasguns, sub-flak armor, militia, demagogue w/ melta bombs - 125
Moves forward behind assault units.

10 Infantry I: autocannon, flamer, sigil, lasguns, militia - 60
10 Infantry I: autocannon, flamer, sigil, lasguns, militia - 60
Objective campers. General nuisances.

30 Mutants: champion w/ power axe, melta bombs, khorne - 125
Retinue for the chaos lord. Arch-demagogue will switch to this unit in the event the lord books it with the spawn.

3 Renegade Spawn - 55
3 Renegade Spawn - 55
3 Renegade Spawn - 55
Mostly for counter assault. Is great for maelstrom with objective secured.

3 Sentinels: multi-lasers - 60
Nuisances.

Wyvren - 55

Chaos Lord: khorne, juggernaught, axe of fury, sigil, melta bombs - 180
Will get to re-roll wounds from the mutant's demagogue. Can also re-roll hits if the Arch-demagogue joins the unit.

3 Chaos Terminators: combi-meltas, power axes, chain fist - 124
Deep strikes in enemy lines to cause a ruckus and draw fire.

5 Chaos Marines: melta gun, bolters, bolt pistols, ccws, melta bombs - 98
Rhino. dirge caster - 40
Cheapest I could make a utility knife CSM unit.

Hell Blade: helstorm autocannons - 115

Sicaran Battle Tank: heavy bolter sponsons - 155
The obvious anti-tank target for my opponent. Hides behind cover until the Soul Grinder arrives.

Tzeench Herald: exalted reward, level 2 - 100
11 Horrors - 99
Mans the comms-relay summoning daemons.

Soul Grinder: nurgle, phlegm - 180
Deep strikes in for a nice pie plate. Once down, it should take the heat off my Sicaran.

Aegis: comms relay - 70

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Played a game vs Dark Eldar, Blood Angels and IG. Dark eldar ran 2 formations: a unit of 6 talos with haywire blasters and chainflails, and the unit with a talos, chronos, and haemonculus. The guard player took dreadnaught w/ lightning claw and harpoon, death company w/ recclusiarch, infantry platoons, and vets in a valkyrie.

I poured everything I had into the MCs. Shooting and assault. But... they rolled through my entire army. I killed 5/8 of them but both units were still functional. I did however stay in the game because we were playing maelstrom and I was wracking up a ton of points with good board presence. The army plays a bit like an MSU list. However that 6 talos formation gets a VP for every non-vehicle unit it kills, wtf! The score ended up in a loss for me, 13 - 18 with the formation scoring 6 VPs by itself through that rule.

So, with that experience I've changed up the list to strengthen up the anti-armor and assault a bit.

Arch-demagogue: revolutionary, khorne, carapace armor, power fist, melta bombs - 50
I'm loving this configuration. It's so simple and straightforward. Fearless plus re-roll hits and wounds in the first round of combat. This guy is now leading the mutant unit. Which lets the Chaos Lord take better advantage of his speed by joining a full unit of spawn.

Command Squad: lascannon, flamer, command vox - 75
Command vox is amazing for keeping the infantry units around after the enemy's shooting.

10 Infantry Command I: autocannon, 2 flamers, lasguns, militia - 60
10 Infantry I: autocannon, 2 flamers, lasguns, militia - 60
Camps objectives, protecting the Chimera and artillery. The 20 man unit in the previous list wasn't doing me any favors. It was trying to be an imperial guard unit without orders or divination to back it up. Hatred is put to much better use on the mutants.

30 Mutants: champion w/ power axe, melta bombs - 110
Tarpit unit with the not-so-buried power axe and power fist.

Wyvren - 55

Earthshaker Battery - 55
I felt a distinct lack of ap3, especially at high str. Hopefully this will help fix that.

5 Chaos Marines: nurgle, melta gun, bolt pistols, ccws, veterans, champion w/ melta bombs - 110
Rhino: dirge caster - 40

5 Chaos Marines: nurgle, melta gun, bolt pistols, ccws, veterans, champion w/ melta bombs - 110
Went up to a second combined arms detachment so I could take a full unit of spawn for a second fast attack. More much needed melta.

Hell Blade - 100
Rending just isn't worth the loss of 2 shots to me.

5 Spawn - 150

Sicaran Battle Tank - 135
I found I never wanted to shoot at infantry with this tank, I have plenty of anti-infantry elsewhere. Dropped the heavy bolter sponsons.

Tzeench Herald: level 2 - 70
11 Horrors - 99
The portal glyph was a bit gimmicky for this list. An interesting way to generate warp charge but ehh. I think I've found more impactful ways to spend 30 points.

Another list I'm considering is one with some points shaved off the troops to get another Hell Blade. Overall I don't mind the loss of bs3 on the infantry because the second Hell Blade gives way more autocannon hits. It will also add a needed buff to my AA. I played against a single valkyrie and didn't have a real chance of shooting it down. Kind of bummed about the downgrade of the command squad from a lascannon to a autocannon but it makes the infantry more cohesive. The last thing that was cut was T5 and ld10 on the CSM. I'll let play testing show if they're really necessary.

Arch-demagogue: revolutionary, khorne, carapace armor, power fist, melta bombs - 50
Command Squad: autocannon, flamer, command vox - 65

10 Infantry Command I: autocannon, flamer, lasguns - 45
10 Infantry I: autocannon, flamer, lasguns - 45
10 Infantry I: autocannon, flamer, lasguns - 45

29 Mutants: champion w/ power axe, melta bombs - 107

Wyvren - 55

Earthshaker Battery - 55

5 Chaos Marines: melta gun, bolt pistols, ccws, champion w/ melta bombs - 90

5 Spawn - 150

Hell Blade - 100
Hell Blade - 100

11 Horrors - 99

#3 ·
Did a bit of work on the list. I even figured out a 1k list (below without CSM or fortification). Even at 1k it brings a wall of 30 mutants flanked by av13 walkers. The added Blood Slaughterer certainly fills my ap3 void while upping my table presence. The earthshaker battery was just too risky for an army that wants to be up in the opponent's lines.

Arch-demagogue: revolutionary, khorne, carapace armor, power fist, melta bombs - 67
Leader of the mutants. Decliner of challenges.

Command Squad: lascannon, command vox - 53
Anchor to the infantry force.

10 Infantry Command I: autocannon, 2 flamers, lasguns - 50
10 Infantry I: autocannon, 2 flamers, lasguns - 50
For objectives and bubble wrapping. Happy to move and snap fire their autocannons.

30 Mutants: champion w/ melta bombs - 95
Dropped the power axe here because I realized I needed a sacrificial character for challenges when the chaos lord is not with this unit.

Blood Slaughterer: harpoon - 135
I hope this wrecking ball will do a good job of protecting my mutants.

Wyvren: heavy flamer - 55

Most likely runs with the spawn, but a charge with the mutant unit is too good to pass up. Re-roll hits and wounds on possibly over a dozen s6 ap2 attacks? Yes please.

I'm really close to dropping these guys. They always seem to underperform. Either by not doing enough damage with their melta volley, having a deep strike mishap, or by simply having too few attacks in combat. That being said, even if they don't do real damage, they still work well as a disruption unit. 2+ saves with s8 ap2 attacks behind an opponent's lines can put them on tilt.

5 Chaos Marines: plasma gun, bolters, bolt pistols, champion w/ melta bombs - 95
Rhino: havoc launcher - 47
I felt spamming the same unit was boring, even though I know I need the melta.

5 Spawn - 150
Lord's retinue.

Hell Blade - 100

11 Horrors - 99
Summoning duty on the comms relay.

Lookin' big and scary with the slaughterer.

Mainly for getting my terminators and hell blade in, but can also be used to deep strike the walkers.

#4 ·
All the armies look pretty solid. Though IMOO missing the greatness that is Griffons, little over 100pts for 3 chimera shells with heavy bolter and a 12"-48" S6 AP4 Ordinance Barrage 1, Large Blast what can reroll scatter dice. They are insanely powerful in squads.
Also the Renegade Rapiers at 70pts for 3 of these BS3 Twin Linked 36" S9 AP1 Ordinance 1 shots (so roll 2D6 on pen and pick the highest). That is tank killing at its best.

#6 ·
Yup. Looking at it now, +[Plasma Pistol] for upgrading "its two Reaper autocannon to - Two Helstorm Autocannon...."

Each Helstorm provides +1 Shot, TL, Rending, and I think +12" range.

#7 ·
No shame in a more backfield plasma squad. You could use the anti heavy infantry too, honestly...

I might go non-nurgle with that Soul Grinder, since if it's going to be moving up to support the Blood Slaughterer... then it won't be hiding behind a ruin all game, and you might not want slow and purposeful on there.

#8 · (Edited)
The griffon is great, I'd like to add one to my wyvren unit. However I use them mainly for ignoring cover and sniping characters. While s6 would be nice to kill T3 characters, I feel the 4 small blasts are much more reliable. Especially when targeting small units. "walking" templates after a bad scatter feels pretty good. Something I have to deal with often are IG units in ruins, against which a griffon does me no good.

The rapiers I certainly want to try. The laser destroyers feel a bit OP though. I don't want to turn my buddies off of forgeworld. Plus DE is almost always present for our games, which makes artillery models a bit useless. Especially ones that need line of sight. Venoms man...

Aww damn, you guys are right about the reaper autocannon. I got it confused with the "reaper autocannon battery" with 4 shots on the Fire Raptor.

I figured the soul grinder could be flexible, either sitting behind the aegis or using the mutants as cover. However, as he's such a big model I doubt he'd get 25% by basic infantry. Luckily changing the soul grinder to Khorne gives me the 15pts I need to upgrade the hell blade. I also completely forgot about slow and purposeful!

#9 ·
Laser Destroyers are not that OP. BS3 is 3 missed shots again. Filling your Heavies with 3x3 is difficult, and cheap at 270pts for AT, but 36" range and direct fire keeps it out of stand off range.

If people are still running low AV units, then yes, they're easily popped - 4+ to destroy, and a decent chance to penetrate (a 88% chance to penetrate Rhino armour is pretty cool), but against things like Land Raiders, it's still having to roll a 6. It has a better than normal chance of doing so - a 31% chance of doing so - which is 4 shots to get 1 pen, or 7 shots to "ensure" you roll a 4+ on the Pens by average - which is either 3 turns of shooting with one unit - or taking multiple models to get that result. Now - you may have already glanced it to death, or you may not, but by Turn 3, the Land Raider has already got where it needs to be and dropped off the Terminators deep into your lines.

They are also extremely easily countered by Bikes, Flyers, jump infantry, and cover, and are outranged by many counter battery fire. Sure, the gun can't be ID'd but with 2 wounds, artillery can put a ton of wounds on them. They are a "hard counter" unit in that they make some units in an area unuseable, such as light tanks. Medium tanks usually have weaponry which outrange, while heavy armour is usually capable of trucking on. There will always be that annoyance when a 30pt model kills a 250pt tank, but it's rare, and luck - and skill comes into it knowing when to avoid.

The major downside is that it's a heavy support choice.

#10 ·
Laser Destroyers are not that OP. BS3 is 3 missed shots again. Filling your Heavies with 3x3 is difficult, and cheap at 270pts for AT, but 36" range and direct fire keeps it out of stand off range.

If people are still running low AV units, then yes, they're easily popped - 4+ to destroy, and a decent chance to penetrate (a 88% chance to penetrate Rhino armour is pretty cool), but against things like Land Raiders, it's still having to roll a 6. It has a better than normal chance of doing so - a 31% chance of doing so - which is 4 shots to get 1 pen, or 7 shots to "ensure" you roll a 4+ on the Pens by average - which is either 3 turns of shooting with one unit - or taking multiple models to get that result. Now - you may have already glanced it to death, or you may not, but by Turn 3, the Land Raider has already got where it needs to be and dropped off the Terminators deep into your lines.

They are also extremely easily countered by Bikes, Flyers, jump infantry, and cover, and are outranged by many counter battery fire. Sure, the gun can't be ID'd but with 2 wounds, artillery can put a ton of wounds on them. They are a "hard counter" unit in that they make some units in an area unuseable, such as light tanks. Medium tanks usually have weaponry which outrange, while heavy armour is usually capable of trucking on. There will always be that annoyance when a 30pt model kills a 250pt tank, but it's rare, and luck - and skill comes into it knowing when to avoid.

The major downside is that it's a heavy support choice.
70pts for 3 rapiers with BS3 makes 210pts for 3X3. Also Twin linked means BS3 is a 75% chance to hit. Also Pen on 2D6 picking the highest makes it pen vs AP (If To Hit is factored in)

AV10 = 91.67% (68.75%)
AV11 = 88.89% (66.67%)
AV12 = 75% (56.25%)
AV13 = 55.56% (41.67%)
AV14 = 30.56% (22.92%)

So i think that is pretty good. Also at AP1 as said it is 4+ to kill if you do. For 23.33pts a model is insane. Though if you work out the odds of 1 shotting a land raider with them is still about 200pts of rapiers all shooting it for 1 turn. Of course the likely chance being that if it actually takes just 6 (140pts) to glance it to death and still has a chance to 1 shot it anyway.

#11 ·
Since when would Land Raider deploy in 36" range knowing the hard counter?
Since when would their not be interventing LOS blockers?
Failing that, cover to half the chances?

Not being funny, but since when did you last play 40K over a featureless, boring, mundane, flat no mans land/murderspace/billiard table? The recommended number of pieces is 12. if you don't have at least 4 pieces of terrain/36" between the land raider and the guns, something is gone wrong.

If those guns aren't out of action by turn 2, and you're planning on running straight into them, you're doing something wrong.

If the enemy castles up, and relies on you coming to him, you win by not fighting him. If he castles, you stay out of range. "Not fun" he might say - well that was HIS choice on how to play like a 3 year old.

#12 ·
If the enemy castles up, and relies on you coming to him, you win by not fighting him. If he castles, you stay out of range. "Not fun" he might say - well that was HIS choice on how to play like a 3 year old.
Man, I guess I'm still a total noob. Never dawned on me to keep my Khornate army back out of range of most of the Tau guns I was facing...

As for the Renegade Rapiers, they seem pretty fair/balanced to me, but then again I feel that way about most things.

#13 ·
Really... you are saying you will leave your 250pts of vehicle with twin linked las cannons at the back of the board out of range of my guns... If I am spending only 140pts making sure you are sticking to the side of the board I want you on and keeping you from using a 12model assault vehicle normally loaded with marines or termies (so lets say 350-450pts on a loadout), from running down the field and crushing my squishy guardsmen, then I think I call that a win for me :p. Also I can still shoot anything that does come in range like those tasty vindicators or maybe those termies you now have to footslog down the field cos you don't want the raider to go pop.

Of course the cover thing could be an issue. It does depend how it is set up. Especially as terrain is placed before armies. So unless you have a L shaped wall to cover it up from various angles, and enough to bounce between piece to piece then you will be open at some point. Or various cover screens of enough troops who can keep pace.
Especially as you need to cover 25% of the model, and even the old fashioned 80s one is 3.25" tall and 4" wide and 5.25" deep (the new one is bigger in all dimensions I think it is about the same height and width & 1" deeper though my one is packed away somewhere and I have my old one to hand :). So you will need something about nipple high on a marine / guard and solid to cover this if you are shooting from equal elevation (I do love to place the rapiers on buildings from Necromunda).

I know that isn't hard to get, but the likely chance is you won't have that the whole game if you are coming towards my gunline made of Rapiers, Griffons, Medusa/Basilisk, Leman Russ and such. And if you are happy to leave your marines sitting back, I am happy to pie plate them all day long with AP3+ in most cases.
Of course I also know that this has spun way away from the threads start point what was a multi faceted army of CSM / R&H / Daemon to my Heavy Support Heavy R&H armies :p

#14 ·
A 48" range pair of guns outranges 36" guns. If it's important to keep the vehicle alive, then it stays out of range. If it's a transport, then the most important thing is eating those save ignoring pie plates before they hit your units. As for cover - it doesn't need it for the entire game (or can get it via Telepathy) just enough to eat a couple of turns of shooting.

As for playing a Khornate army, well, sucks to be you I guess. Assault blows, it's 7th edition. I like playing thematic army too, but grots suck. And I whinge when my grots suck. I can either adapt to the meta or I can continue to lose.

And 3 Land Raiders to ensure you assault troops get there is going to ensure that said units get there. It's called target saturation.

You guys have played the game before.

#15 ·
Alright, condescension aside, there's been enough good discussion to get me more interested in the prospect of rapiers. I'll be taking the following list at 1k for a 2v1 2k game. The 36" range goes a long way in keeping them balanced because i am not castling.

Renegades 1000

Arch-demagogue: revolutionary, khorne, carapace armor, power fist, melta bombs - 67
Command Squad: command vox - 33
Chimera: multi-laser, heavy flamer - 55

10 Infantry Command I: autocannon, 2 flamers, lasguns - 50

30 Mutants: champion w/ melta bombs - 95

Rapier Battery: 3 laser destroyers, militia, +2 crew - 76

---

11 Horrors - 99

Soul Grinder: khorne, phlegm - 165

#16 ·
Played the game with the above list. My DE ally brought 2 raiders of grotesques, 2 venoms of warriors, a flier and an aegis w/ comms relay.

Our Tyranid opponent took a hive tyrand with tyrant guard, 2 large units of genestealers, one with a brood lord. 2 carnifexes with venom cannons, warriors+alpha with barbed stranglers, a couple lictors, 3 ravenors and the unique ravenor.

Tyranids deployed first. Deployment was as follows. Big center LoS blocker. Ruins/city to the left and forests to the right. Left side had warrriors and carnifexes in a ruin and a unit of genestealers. Lictor was behind the center LoS blocker while the hive tyrant and genestealers were on the right in the forested half of the table.

We deployed my entire army to the left except the horrors and rapiers. Infantry was castled up behind the aegis/in the ruin. I got lucky and rolled the infiltrate strategic trait so was able to zone out the genestealers and lictor.

The plan was for my mutants and walkers to get across the left side of the board (through a lot of barbed wire) to swarm down the warriors and carnifex in the opposing ruin. However a failed charge by my mutant unit left them open to take a ton of barbed strangler fire before getting charged by the genestealers. The next round of combat the blood slaughterer charged in, finishing off the genestealers and leaving the mutant unit with ~8 models left. Despite that, they were able to charge and kill a carnifex with help from the blood slaughterer. Deep striking grotesques finished off the rest of the warriors and carnifex.

Down the middle, the lictor dropped in the ravenors who shot down a venom, then the lictor charged and killed its occupants. The other venom was killed by venom cannons but the warriors inside were still able to hold the coms relay. The venoms, wyvren and flier spent all their firepower focusing the genestealer unit w/ broodlord on the right, forcing them to retreat into cover to score some maelstrom points. The unit was eventually wiped on turn 5. My soul grinder was diverted from the left flank to deal with the ravenors, landing a hit with its "battle cannon" and wiping all but the character. The ravenor character charged and killed a unit of infantry before being gunned down by flamers and lasguns.

The right side was perhaps the most interesting. I deployed my rapiers 18" from his tyrant guard to prevent the genestealers from infiltrating in front. This really paid off as the extra distance they had to cover let us pour enough firepower into the unit to prevent it from making it into assault. My plan was to take maybe a wound or two off the tyrant guard with the rapiers before they were wiped but psychic powers shut that down. Every turn the tyranid psykers were giving out pinning tests at -2ld and -d3 ws/bs. The rapiers got one volley off at bs1 and didn't even get to overwatch. The horrors were just behind the rapiers, hoping to summon some nurgle units in front of my rapiers to prevent the charge and do some tar pitting. Sadly, I never manifested a power all game so my god did the right flank crumble.

It was a good tactical exercise for me though. That tyrant unit rolled over absolutely everything. My goal was to see how well I could feed it infantry units to keep it tied up on the right side until help in the form of grotesques and a soul grinder arrived. The tyrant guard ended up killing the rapiers, horrors, 2 units of infantry, a wyvren and most of a grotesque unit before it was killed in assault. I'm proud of myself though because after the unit hit my lines, I was able to slow it down to a total of 24" of movement for the next 5 turns. This allowed us to pull ahead in the end of the game.

We played maelstrom, starting with 6 objectives then decreasing as the game went on. Our opponent scored 5 and first blood on the top of turn 1, we scored nothing in the bottom. We went into hardcore catchup mode after that, sacrificing units and effectiveness for table position and objectives. We finally turned the score in our favor on turn 5 because it became hard for our opponent to score objectives as we were all over the table. The board presence of my horde chaos army plus the mobility of Dark Eldar seemed a pretty potent combo for maelstrom.

MVP for me was probably the soul grinder. The battle cannon is a consistent threat and it was one of my only answers to the tyrant guard. We couldn't of won without the grotesques though, damn they're good.

MVP on the other side was definitely the tyrant guard. We just had no real response to that unit. It took a ton of concentrated effort to take down and basically got to rampage freely across the board until we could muster the forces to deal with it. In hindsight lining the walkers up against them in deployment would of been smart, but then I'm pretty sure our left flank would of collapsed, requiring the grotesques to deep strike in defensively instead of down the board, taking objectives.

Overall I'm really happy with the list so far. It plays very aggressively and can spread out well to play for objectives. As for the rapiers, we'll see how they perform next time ;).

#18 ·
I crunched some of the numbers on summoning with ML4... With the random +d6 warp charge I'm looking at just over a 50% to summon. Which is... not so good. I'm essentially sinking 170pts for 50% chance that I might get back ~100pts of that usefulness each turn. That means I'd have to summon twice to "make my points back". The horrors made a lot more sense when they could go to ground for a re-rollable 2+ cover save behind the aegis and man the comms relay. Now that both of those are gone, I'm finding myself hard pressed for a reason to include the horrors.

So I thought I'd try out the scribes. Rolling a d6 on malefic still gives a 50% chance to summon, with no chance of ill effects! Yeah it's a lone model on a jetbike but I figure I can either hide behind LoS blocking terrain or stay in reserves if there is artillery on the table.

Swapping the horrors out for some nurglings, along with dropping the terminators allowed me to double my autocannon hits and get a third av13 walker (plague hulk) into the list. Having this plague hulk really helps address my weakness against MEQ and av14. It will probably sit back with its 36" cannon in cover protecting my infantry from assaults and increasing my av13 target saturation.

Command Squad: autocannon, command vox - 43
Chimera: multi-laser, heavy flamer - 55

10 Infantry Command I: autocannon, 2 flamers, lasguns, militia - 60

29 Mutants: champion w/ melta bombs - 92

Rapier Battery: 3 laser destroyers, militia, +3 crew - 79

---

Blue Scribes - 81

3 Nurglings - 45

Soul Grinder: khorne, phlegm - 165

---

5 Chaos Marines: plasma gun, bolters, bolt pistols, champion w/ melta bombs - 95
Rhino: havoc launcher - 47

5 Spawn - 150

Hell Blade: helstorm autocannons - 115

Plague Hulk - 150

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.