Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - White Veteran Helmets
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-08, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Syph
Heresy's Graphics Slave

Syph's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default White Veteran Helmets

Hello all. I thought I'd post up my tutorial on painting white veteran's helmets, as found on Terminators and Veterans in many Space Marine 1st Co.

The finished article looks something like this:

I go for a quite dramatic look, which may not appeal to all - in which case just add more white to the earlier stages.

(Once I've painted my apothecary, I'll update with an example of using this method on armour.)

You need:

A good couple of brushes: I use Standard and Detail
Paints: Skull White, Adeptus Battlegrey (Foundation), Black Ink
Water
A drop of PVA or Washing Up Liquid (unless you're using Badab Black wash, apparently it doesn't need a mixer)

Step 1:

I always prime in black, just because I prefer the way the paint covers it.

Step 2:

I paint the eyes in a darkish red; you could do green, blue, whatever. For the helmet itself, use the grey colour, nice and thin. Only leave the very darkest parts black - the grey is ideally the darkest it needs to go without taking on the Cel-shaded look.

Step 3:

To add a little more shading, I water down black ink 50:50 and mix with only enough PVA/washing up liquid (I used washing up liquid, but have since tried PVA and it's the same - just use slightly less). to cover the tip of the standard brush. This also blacklines the eyes for you.

Step 4:

These shots don't do the helmet justice particularly, as it's super zoomed in. It's also one stage further on, but I can be quite accurate with the method:

4a: 70:30 grey:white, leaving a gap where the edges meet.
4b: 50:50 grey:white, leaving some of the previous layer.
4c: 20:80 grey:white, covering most the face now, leaving a previous layer showing near the edges.

MAKE SURE YOUR PAINT IS THIN TO DO ALL OF THESE STAGES! (Think milk).

Step 5:

IMPORTANT: Change your water at this point.

Finish up by using the same method as before, but this time with pure white. Again, very thin paint.

Done! Hope this helps.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome