Votes: 9 52.9%
  • no, but psykers are still important

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • no, i dont trust psykers

Votes: 1 5.9%

do you agree with the philosophy of polypsykana

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Warhawk 
#1 ·
■Polypsykana - An offshoot of the Xanthites, the Polypsykana is a Radical faction of the Inquisition obsessed with the power of psykers. Its members believe that the psyker is a natural evolution of Man's slow development into a higher being. The faction believes that this transformation is inevitable and ultimately humanity's only salvation in such a dangerous universe. To this end, members work to protect and nurture psykers and increase the role they play within the Imperium.

is this the evolution of mankind to being a pure psychic race? is this the destiny of the imperium?

#3 ·
Hard to tell. I myself do not think that is the way to go when I compare with the Eldar. The eldar evolved into a psychic race before the immaterium hungered after their souls. Now with the immaterium always seek to infiltrate and Possess mankind and psykers are one of their favoured paths I have a hard time to see humanity evolve to a psychic race. If evolution has it's course I think the opposite. Then I don't know about IOM's stand on selective breeding, in that case they employ it to have more psykers that may resistent the gods of chaos then maybe, but only maybe since I believe it be a perilious path niether way.

#6 ·
Everyone has opinions. Thats what going on forums is about. I personally detest people that tries to present their opinions as the truth. Its their truth, not necessarily my truth.

And everyone reads something different, just watch any discussion here.

What are your opinions about this matter? I'm sort of curious now.

#10 ·
@Beaviz81
I'm not comparing either religion to any other. I'm also not trying to be disrespectful to anyone or what they do/don't believe in. So really there is nothing for me to elaborate on.
The way I go through life is that I believe what I believe and don't care what anyone else believes in. Not to say that I'm short sighted or not empathetic (think that's the word) for others beliefs. If someone wants to have a rational conversation then I'm all for it. What I wont put up with is someone who has to stand on a soap box and shout to the world what their beliefs are and try and force me to like it.
For example (and everyone, take this the way I mean it, the way I say it. Don't blow it all out of context): The gay community. First of all, yes, I think they should have the same rights as anyone else. Want to get married? Fine! Want to adobt? Fine! I realize that to get the changes that are needed, then there has to be some waves made. But I think there are a LOT better ways to do it than the most vocal idiots have gone about it. (Again, I am NOT saying anything bad about anyone who is gay/lesbian/bi/trans/ or any other way they want to identify their self). I just want to live and let live.
Few months ago two men came to my door to tell me about the Later Day Saints. Because my personal stance is not what they believe in, I politely told them that I wasn't interested and that I wish them a great day. We shook hands and they left. No harsh words, no hard feelings. In fact, because they didn't push the issue, I actually respected them a ton more.
Ok, I'm done rambling!

#11 ·
Remind me why an immaterial, non-essential storytelling device is apparently just as divisive and politically loaded as real life issues?

I disagree with polypsykana. Humanity has done quite well for itself considering it lacked psychic powers, and I see no argument as to why it 'must' become that way. Besides, evidence shows that the transition to psykers is utterly uncontrolled: Imagine whole worlds turning at once. They'd immediately rip open the Warp and spew daemons all over the place. Humanity has far too much to learn as a species before it steps into the same territory as the Eldar and with the same hubris.

#12 ·
Remind me why an immaterial, non-essential storytelling device is apparently just as divisive and politically loaded as real life issues?
Um, religion? Sorry, I just couldn't help myself... and this statement in no way endorses the Ecclisiarchy.

I do agree with you about the uncontrollable evolutionary psychic nature of humanity posing a clear mortal threat. I just don't think that's a good enough reason to kidnap or hunt down every individual born with the gene, sterilize them and sacrifice them to the big bright light on Terra.

#13 ·
Well, it really depend.

Psyker are more and more appearing, but it doesn't mean that they are the next step of evolution. Maybe they are just an appearing clade, and nothing is here to say that this clade in particular will survive long, esecially when you consider the danger of the warp.

Magnus the red had a vision similar about the future, but I doubt it was the only way, and it seems that the emperor had his idea too about the future of mankind.

For example, if you take Neanderthal, he was probably more efficient in some way, more civilized, but it disappeared nonetheless.

So Psyker are important, for without them, the imperium would fall, but not THAT important that the imperium would have to put all his eggs in this bag in particular.

#29 · (Edited)
At least I can see where you are coming from. True the IOM is all about lies and such, but they are the "good guys" in this setting, I mean come on. The Ruinous Powers makes you evil sooner or later, even if you ain't evil to begin with. Just look at Abbaddon and Kharn. They were once noble Space Marines, now their sole good trait are their combat-prowess. And that's how each and everyone under the influence of the Ruinous Powers ends up. They themselves might not be evil, but sure as hell they do produce evil. Even the most deluded Chaos-worshippers IRL can't deny that.

#27 · (Edited)
As usual, the fanbase of 40k totally glosses over the positive religious aspects of the entire story, resulting in a never-ending feud between the worshipers of Chaos, and the adherents of "reason" which is a magnificent but distinctly limited human tool. I would take reason over Chaos any day, but there's far more to it than that...

Regardless, this is getting ridiculously off-topic. Not only are we showing our colors as ideologues but we're not even fighting over the ideology at stake anymore. Get back to brass tacks:

Do you support Polypsykana, or don't you? Do you think that humanity becoming completely psychic is good, or do you think it is bad? Is this really a black and white issue, considering we've had two responses to the effect that it should be embraced 'because' it is destructive, or that there is a third option?

I stick by my stance: Considering it an A or B question is a false dichotomy. There is no requirement that all of humanity change, nor is there any evidence that they all will. Perhaps the utilization of psykers could be different, but that is neither here nor there since we are talking about the fundamental destiny of the species in this universe. And this universe rather explicitly establishes that the more psychic species become, the more self-destructive they are. Better angsty teens who 'can't' summon daemons on the fly than those who can summon entire armies by accidental possession.

#30 ·
And this universe rather explicitly establishes that the more psychic species become, the more self-destructive they are. Better angsty teens who 'can't' summon daemons on the fly than those who can summon entire armies by accidental possession.
The philosophy, if I am not mistaken, is based on the assumption that mankind would become a pskyer race like the Eldar with their grasp of the Warp in control.

#28 ·
Back on topic, I point you to my first post.

In short, humanity could become an entire pysker species, but that's not a black and white issue. I think thta without the eye of terror, the phenomena could have been a good thing, but chaos messs it up and seems to speed the emergence of psyker population.

That doesn't make their integration a sweet process, and ultimately, it could bring the humanity's doom (pun intended) because it's inability to master the transformation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.