Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - [Action] In Our Darkest Hour
Thread: [Action] In Our Darkest Hour
View Single Post
post #51 of (permalink) Old 07-11-14, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Deus Mortis

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Brotherhood Champion Jairus strode from the teleportation room with assurance and self-confidence in his stride. Whilst his steps did not falter, there was a small part of him that did. He had acted within his sphere of authority and as he thought was necessary to discipline Mordred. The whelp needed to learn. It was the other members of squad Dothrac that caused his resolve to falter slightly. He had trusted Galahad with command, perhaps before he was ready. Eriban was still holding himself back from the Communion, as he had been since Armageddon and Fenris. Talerion was only a few steps behind Mordred in his foolish path, although not so far along that he would have to take such drastic measures.

These thoughts and others besides occupied his mind as he separated from squad Dvorn and made his way to his chambers. He had taken the actions that were necessary to hammer squad Dothrac into the weapon of the Imperium they had to be. A perfect sword was not made by a single hammer blow and Jairus was certain that there would be other blows he would have to strike in order to help the squad now under his wing. But, he could not strike to hard or else he would shatter the blade and it would be worthless save for melting down and trying again. Jairus thought of these things and how to best ensure squad Dothrac did not slip into a miasma of despair when there was a hard knock on the door. Perhaps it was already too late for such things, Jairus wondered as the doors slid open.

Galahad: Brotherhood Champion Jairus listens to your speech and says nothing for a few long moments, his fingers stroking his lips in contemplation. He stands and motions for you to rise saying “Rise Justicar Galahad. Such a fate is not for you.” Jairus flicks his wrists and calls both your staff and your helmet to his hands as you stand. He offers them both back to you and nods for you to take them. You do so, although you are likely uneasy about accepting the symbol of an office you feel you do not deserve. You may well protest, try to explain that you are unworthy, but Brotherhood Champion Jairus will cut you off if you do. If not he merely speaks, and he does to kindly.

“I still believe in you Justicar Galahad of Squad Dothrac. I still believe you have the capacity to lead your brothers and use them according to their strengths. But, I fear I was mistaken in leaving you to command immediately, with no further training and so soon after Zephyr’s death. He spoke highly of you.” Jairus adds the last sentence as though it were irrelevant, but likely to you it is not. Suddenly Jarius’s voice is no longer kind, but hard as iron. You can tell there are lessons he is about to teach you, and they will likely not be easy ones either.

“You can only fail in an oath if you refuse to carry it through to its completion or your death, neither of which have occurred. You may think your request is selfless and humble, but it is not. You would leave your brothers, burden them with more shame and more dishonour because after one error you are afraid of failure?” Jairus pauses to let his words sink in before he continues. “Your brothers need a leader who will lead them through adversity, not balk in the face of it. Where is the Galahad I heard about, who marshalled his squad when their Justicar was slain, completed their objective and got them off of that Space Hulk alive and with the bodies of the dead? Find that resolve again, and use it.”

Your conversation is interrupted by a knock on Brotherhood Champion Jairus’s door. He opens it with his psychic abilities to reveal Brother Talerion standing there, clothed in a simple tunic. Jairus motions for Talerion to enter and the door hisses shut behind him. He continues to speak to you as if Talerion were not even there. “You are a peace keeper Justicar Galahad, used to keeping the humours of your brothers in balance whilst other administered the rod and the lash. No more. Talerion, what is your decision?” Talerion will say whether he will take only his lashes of Mordred’s as well. As he does, Jarius calls to his hand the lash and stand beside you facing Talerion instead of opposite you. “Now you must learn to discipline your brothers as well as comfort them.” With that he hands you the lash, clearly expecting you to administer the lashes yourself.

Talerion: Galahad leaves you, Auril and Eriban alone together. Whilst he’s gone you may take guesses as to where he is going, or you might want to learn more about Eriban. After all, he is another unknown entity entering your squad and perhaps you are curious why Eriban is being kept so close to Brotherhood Champion Jairus as you are. Or perhaps you want to organise a friendly sparring match with one or both of them later. Eriban is the only member of your squad who wields a weapon as heavy as the mighty daemonhammer and it might be good practice to pit yourself against a wider variety of foes. Plus, something like that might well give you a chance to bond with your new squad mate.

If you do decide to spar with Eriban, you decide that you should do it after you have seen Brotherhood Champion Jairus, since you and him have unresolved business to deal with. You reach out with your mind and find that both Galahad and Jairus are together in his quarters. You quickly make your way there and knock on the door. It slides open to reveal Jairus talking to Galahad. He beckons you in but then ignores you, speaking only to Galahad until he asks you “Talerion, what is your decision?” Here you must make a decision, accept only your punishment, or your brother’s as well. Whatever you decide, Jairus hands Galahad to lash, clearly expecting him to administer your punishment. It appears you are not the only one with a lesson to learn from this punishment.

Auril: Galahad leaves you, Talerion and Eriban alone together. Whilst he’s gone you may take guesses as to where he is going, or you might want to learn more about Eriban. After all, he is another unknown entity entering your squad and perhaps you are curious why Eriban is being kept so close to Brotherhood Champion Jairus as you are. Or perhaps you want to organise a friendly sparring match with one or both of them later. Eriban is the only member of your squad who wields a weapon as heavy as the mighty daemonhammer and it might be good practice to pit yourself against a wider variety of foes. Plus, something like that might well give you a chance to bond with your new squad mate.

Before long Talerion leaves you too. Now it is just you and Eriban. Well, almost. In the archway to the room, you see Justicar Santoro has returned. He moves to speak to Eriban with his mouth, but in your head you hear his voice +My brother is troubled by these recent months. He feels shame for our actions as keenly as you do for your squad mates. I am told you are a man of zeal and faith, more so than many of us. Watch over him. He is my friend and I do not wish to see him fall into the abyss.+ Santoro’s conversation with you seems to finish at the same time he finishes talking to Eriban. The two embrace and the Justicar nods to you as he leaves, leaving you alone again with your new brother.

Initiate 437: You walk into the Apothecarion and are greeted by the face of Apothecary Michael. The corner of his mouth curls into a sympathetic smile “Brotherhood Champion Jairus told me you would come. Let me see the wound.” He motions for you to sit down on one of the medical slabs and he takes your unattached hand from you. He immediately sits it in a tray of ice and begins to inspect your stump. As he does so he talks to you, as it is normal process. “You know, Brotherhood Jairus is a man I rarely see in here, and whilst your own capacity at arms is impressive, you were not going to be one of the few to send him into my arms.” Michael chuckles, clearly trying to make light of the situation as he reattaches your hand, probably trying to alleviate whatever negative emotions you are feeling right now.

Your hand is reattached after about 10 minutes of surgery and Michael tells you that you should head to the armoury to get your armour repaired. As you go to leave he says “I hope to see you again, and call you Brother when I do.” You make your way to the armoury Magos Kane emits a mechanical growl that you interpret as a sigh. “I know you detest wearing a storm bolter, but did you have to destroy it just to prove a point Knight Mordred?” Obviously the Magos has not been told about your recent demotion. Magos Kane beckons you over and begins to make the reperations to your armour, pausing for a moment on the clean cut at your wrist before sealing it. After he has finished he tells you “I contacted Brotherhood Champion Jairus about your request for a bolter instead of a storm bolter. He approved it, surprisingly.” He then hands you an incredibly ornate bolter, a weapon so old you are convinced it is probably a relic. He pleads with you “In the Omnissiah’s name, please take care of that weapon Mordred.”

Eriban: Your new Justicar leave abruptly after introductions are made, leaving only you, Auril and Talerion. It might be wise to get to know your new squad mates, since your feelings of doubt are likely to nestle in you for a while and thus you will likely remain in squad Dothrac for some time too. Or you might seek the challenge one of these brothers to a friendly spar, helping you to both train and provide a distraction from your own thoughts.Soon enough, Talerion too makes his excuses and leaves too.

You think you are alone with Auril before you notice Santoro standing in the entrance arch-way. It is likely strange for you to be so close to your old Justicar and not feel his thoughts rub against yours. He walks over to you and begins to speak with a half-smile. “My Brother. We will…” Santoro catches himself “…I will miss your voice in the Communion. You’ve kept us right at so many times and helped our squad remain resolute. I hope these brothers may do the same for you.” Santoro has likely guessed the source of your same, but for whatever reason, likely the courtesy of choosing who you speak to about it. Santoro embraces you and then turns on his heel, acknowledging Auril on his way out. You have an hour to do with as you please. Perhaps it would be wise to stick with at least one member or squad Dothrac for the time being, in order to bond. But then again, if you have no desire to, perhaps you should not.

(Alright guys, update time. Unfortunately, it looks like I favour some people more than others because of the amount of writing some people have. It’s not true, it’s just unfortunate that the dialogue only happens for those people. Hopefully though, you should all have enough to work with and get some decent mileage out of this update.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome