Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Building A Quad Attack Bike

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wookiepelt 
#1 ·
Here's a tutorial on how I built my Quad Attack Bike. The front suspension construction is the same as the external tutorial extracted by Cypher871 but I decided to add a second Blood Claw gunner on the back to count-as an Attack Bike (á la Halo Warthog style!).

What you need to build this are the following bits:

1x Complete Space Marine Bike
1x Second Bike Chassis*
1x Second pair of bike wheels
1x Second bike foot pan
1x Attack Bike or Land Speeder Heavy Weapon and gunner's arms
1x Pair of Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum Sentinel lower legs
1x Standing Space Marine minus arms (will use the gunner's arms instead)

* Second bike is required for front wheel guards but can be omitted if you are prepared to make a greenstuff/milliput alternate.

Tools used are the usual suspects...
Clippers
X-acto Blade
Pin-vice (mini hand drill)
Mini-saw (31 TPI - teeth per inch)

First step is to take the two halves of the first bike chassis and saw off the front wheel guards and the rear exhaust section as shown in the Step 1 picture below.

STEP 1

Next step is to tidy up the cut sections. The second bike chassis is required only for the two extra halves of the front wheel guards. Alternate option is to replicate the first cleaned-up set from the first bike chassis using either Green Stuff or in my case Milliput.

STEP 2

To prepare the quad bike gunner platform, you'll need to use the extra bike foot pan and clear up the existing internal features until you have a clean empty foot pan as shown below.

STEP 3

Next, prepare the shock absorbers for the front wheels by chopping off the two Sentinel lower leg pieces to leave you with the section shown on the right of the picture below.

STEP 4

Now assemble the basic bike chassis from Step 1 & 2 together with the original foot pan, handlebar and front weapons panel as shown below.

STEP 5

Putting aside the front weapons panel aside till the end, the front shock absorbers and rear wheel guards are now attached to the bike chassis as shown.

STEP 6

Next, the gunner's foot pan is attached on the rear of the bike chassis like so...

STEP 7

The front wheel guards are now attached to the front shock absorbers. This is then followed by mounting on all four wheels, giving you the basic Quad Bike (with the rear foot pan which can be swapped with a tool box or any other accessory if you want the basic quad bike configuration only).

STEP 8

To create the weapon mount roll-bar, a short length of 1.8mm round plasticard rod was used. In order to bend this, boiling water was used to soften the plasti-rod and simply bent into a U-shape to fit the width of the rear foot pan section.

STEP 9

The rider and gunner was then temporarily mounted (with use of blu-tac) to give a guide to the positioning of the roll-bar. Once this was glued in place, two shorter plasti-rod struts were glued in place at the bottom to provide more rigidity to the roll-bar structure.

STEP 10

After that, it's simply the case of mounting the appropriate Heavy Weapon and the Front Weapon Panel to complete the Quad Attack Bike!

Completed Quad Attack Bike

I hope you find this a useful guide on how to convert a standard SM Bike into a more striking Quad Bike and Quad Attack Bike. :grin:

See less See more
#9 ·
You do know there is a stickied index at the very top of the page on each and every one of these sub-sections that I keep up to date right? (especially as I spent a hell of a long time making them :biggrin:).

Take a look here and scroll down to the 'Bikes' section under "Bikes, Flyers, Vehicles and Walkers".

I put these in as an aid to helping people find what they are after quickly but not many people seem to realise they are there. :(

#7 · (Edited)
You're all welcome!

Re the green front guards, they were cast from a silicon mold of the first set I cut and cleaned up, using the green Milliput putty. The same was done with the shoulder pads from silicon mold of the old metal Blood Claw pads.

@ntaw : It works both ways with the "Height Advantage" issue. True that the heavy weapon has a better line of sight but it also means that it is easier to target as it doesn't benefit so much from covers. Did have this question pop up once during a game so we simply agreed to use LoS from the bike's front weapons panel during the game!

#13 ·
It works both ways with the "Height Advantage" issue. True that the heavy weapon has a better line of sight but it also means that it is easier to target as it doesn't benefit so much from covers.
With cover being a mere 25% obscured, I would wager that the door doesn't swing both ways on this. For example your gun may shoot over top of a friendly unit, but when someone shoots back at you from ground level that unit would almost for sure have their LoS obscured by the same unit that you shot over top.

That being said, sounds like a marvelous solution to the issue that you came up with! It heartens me to hear of simple compromises instead of silly arguments.

BACK to the model though...I bet the gunner marine is glad his boots have magnets in them. Very devil may care/trust in your armour of the dude up top :laugh:

#12 ·
Cool, spread the word my good man :) the more people who realise they are there the easier time they will have looking for a tute. I did ask Jez way back to have an announcement put on the front page (when we had it) but he had a lot on his plate at the time so I guess it just got overlooked.

I did put an announcement about it in the Forum Announcements thread but it needs to be stickied. :biggrin:

#14 ·
Have been told countless times by the kids that the rider needs his helmet or he would go deaf from the heavy bolter or have his hair burnt from the multi-melta! But hey, we're wolfies and bad-ass so we don't notice any of that, right? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.