Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Tactical Squad Usefulness
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-14, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Tyreal Ardeus

Tyreal Ardeus's Flag is: USA

Default Tactical Squad Usefulness

Hey everyone!

I'd like to clarify that I have browsed about the internet and these forums and all advice and tacticas on these guys are rather old, generally before the marines got their latest codex. I'd also like to add that I'm far from a competitive player so please keep that in mind if I ask any questions on what I should field. But by all means any opinion from any player, competitive or no, feel free to post. It would be very appreciated.

Been some time since I've been on heresy and I thought I'd drop by and get a little more involved. Wanted to ask everyone here about their thoughts on the usefulness of C:SM Tacticals. How do you take them or see them taken? Do you feel they should they be focused on eliminating a single type of target or many? How well have you seen them work as compared to other troops? Trying to get as much info and collective experience as I can draw upon from this great community as I myself haven't played a huge amount of games like I assume most here have. Keep in mind this can be answered even if you don't play Marines and have just played against them or even seen them played.

I ask because I myself have really only ever disliked them. Compared to other troops in the game they seem very lackluster. Everyone praises their durability on an objective but I've only ever seen them flee from their quickly-scrapped MEHTUL BOCKSES and be cut down (not a particularly inspiring sight). Compared to the Necrons, mobs of Boyz or Venomthrope(d) swarms of gaunts to name a few marines pale in comparison to their survivability (opinion). They also don't seem to have anywhere enough firepower to be good offensively unlike many other troops such as Tau Fire Warriors or Shoota Boyz, even Termagaunts. I know that they are supposed to be the balanced version of all of these but it either doesn't seem to have worked or they didn't do a very good job of it to me.

Also everyone says that they pretty much must be taken in a Rhino or Razorback for a multitude of reasons I don't agree with but, at risk of all of them being bad reasons, I'll withhold them. Do you agree with this? Why? Which one? Is taking one or both in Drop Pods in an otherwise Drop Pod-less army viable? How about that Deathwind Missile Launcher? (Actually a big fan)

Thank all of you in advance and I'm very eager to hear some people redeem the marine troops or prove my suspicions correct.

Great to be back!

“This is our next objective, our next battle, our next war, brothers. It is there that we shall teach the enemy the wrath of mankind, the wrath of our beloved emperor. With boltgun and chainsword shall we strike the enemy down in righteous vengeance. Our foes will know fear and death, for we are the emperor’s fury! None shall stay our wrath!”

- Chapter Master Tyreal Ardeus of the Crimson Gallants

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome