Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - imperial guard army or armoured company ?
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-08, 01:51 AM
KellysGrenadier

I'd build an an army. The Imperial Guard can be said to be a very tactically challenging army to play. Due to their standard equipment Guardsmen require more thought to play than many other armies.

It can be argued that Guard infantry are perhaps the finest infantry soldiers in the game. Given the right equipment and leaders, the IG are a solid infantry choice that can take on heavy infantry to super heavies.

Along with this it can be said that the Guard possess the most potent infantry weapon in the game; the humble, often overlooked lasgun. As I believe most infantry models are T3, and so more often than not the lasgun will be wounding on a 4+ more often than not. The only undeniable weakness of the lasgun is its inability to penetrate any form of armour. This is negated by one fact that is perhaps the hallmark of the Guard; the sheer, frightening volume of fire. Lasguns will overwhelm the most specialized and elite of infantry squads, as not many units can withstand the combined might of 100 or more lasgun shots.

Not only that but the Guard have a fine and diverse selection of weaponry. From lasguns that break even the strongest infantry, to man portable meltas that will pop a super heavy, the Guard can be equipped to deal with any threat.

The poor armour save of the Guard infantry can also be addressed with the right doctrines. Jungle Fighters and Carapace Armour increase the survivability of the Guards (literal) lifeblood in an astonishing way, comparatively speaking. While this costs points, so does anything that is worth its salt.

I say this so you reconsider the wildly held concept that Guardsmen are impotent in combat, when in actual fact the brave soul behind his flak jacket, clenching is lasgun in nervous hands is perhaps the gravest threat on the battlefield at any one time.

Remember the infantry.

Last edited by KellysGrenadier; 08-23-08 at 01:56 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome