Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Shadow Guardians Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes

16K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  Greenskin 
#1 ·
Hi folks! this is my first real thread on Heresy-Online, so I'll apologize ahead of time for any quality control issues.
My goal here is to post progress pictures of my army, and hopefully gain motivation and insight into how to improve my technique from the awesome community here.

This is a codex chapter, as the title to this thread suggests. I'm planning for them to be a successor chapter of the Ultramarines, as the similarities between their two paint schemes are readily apparent. I basecoated them with Chaos Black before painting the bulk of the armor Charadon Granite. The blue areas are Regal Blue with an Enchanted Blue highlight drybrushed on top. Finally, I've used Fortress Grey highlighted with Space Wolves Grey for the accent color.

Here is a sergeant with a couple ordinary marines. I'm not sure if I like how much red he ended up with. It makes him almost look like he's from a different chapter. I might change his helmet to Space Wolves Grey (the color of all my veterans' helmets). However, I am also considering doing the cloak in a more fitting color, Maybe blue. C&C welcome!

See less See more
#55 ·
Quick update:
I have finished assembling my Leviathan Crusader dreadnought. I also bought a second gatling cannon arm for him. I'm hoping to run him as a rifleman dread. I know the Gatling cannons read more as assault cannons than Autocannons, but I don't plan on using this guy in games that much anyway--more of a show piece mini. I must admit I am pleasantly surprised at how much cooler this guy looks with two gun-arms. I have decided to find a good GW dreadnought engine for the back of this guy, as the shield-generator/smokestack-things on his back are bothering me more and more.

#57 ·
Dreadknight engine bits were actually cheaper than any other Dreadnought engine I could find on ebay, but looking at it on the model, I'm so glad I got that bit instead. The regular Dread' engine would look too wimpy on this machine.

I added various GW bits to up the 40k aesthetic of the model. I really like the empire shield bits on his shoulder plate. Naturally, they symbolize various battle honors, or maybe the coat of arms of each hero who has been interred within over the centuries.

Stabby knife.

Basing is coming together...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.