Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Zero Effects - Heresy World Eaters Legion

14K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  Tawa 
#1 ·
Most of you are aware that I have another blog on here with my Dark Eldar, however I need a new challenge (do not worry they will be ever expanding), which brings me to this lovely project.

First over 5 years ago, Black Library released what is considered a good series of books on the Horus Heresy. I suffer from dyslexia and one of the things my assessment suggested was to improve my reading skills and spelling by focusing on a series of books that interest me and go from there. Ever since this decision my appetite has grown over the years wanting to know more of this huge event that takes place in own hobby history.

Sometime in September 2012, Forge World decided to go along the path of the Horus Heresy. I grabbed the book and Angron as soon as it was physically possible (UK GAMES DAY 2012) and I have to say the book and Angron are a true work of art.

So why the World Eater Legion? There is something about this Legion, the fear that just the mention of them words brings to hostile/rebel worlds. It kind of links in with the Dark Eldar and the fear and striking ability they show. However what differs most is the no matter on the numbers that have been killed they become even deadlier.

I did have to wait a couple of months for a replacement part to arrive from Forge World as I was missing one of the marines being butchered to death.

I have primed the two World Eaters from the Angron display base and yesterday I began work on the first one.

Now the thing I am trying to figure out, be it from the Betrayal Book, FW website or other blogs, is it a crisp clean white or is there is it more of a slightly pale white.

I will also attempt the blood splatter and battle damage especially on the assault marines. Yes they are waiting for me with shoulder pads and chain axes , this is after my slow and steady work the Primarch Angron

Further update during the week.

Comments always welcome.

Zero Effect

See less See more
#35 ·
First time looking through this plog really like what I'm seeing, especially the Contemptor!! I feel your pain about painting time as I'm in the military as well, exercises, detachments and deployments taking up alot of time! I'll be following this log with interest!

#37 ·
Looking good, Zero! :good:

#41 ·
Afternoon All,

Just a quick update on the Red Butcher model.

Apologies for the lighting. The first several coats of white are being applied and so far so good. There is still a long way to go with it but I am pleased how the dulled red has come out on the model.

Will attempt after visiting the parents on a few more hours work on it this evening and tonight.

ZE out

#42 ·
Morning,

Not managed to do much this week! Crazy week at work but hey small update on the Red Butcher.

As you can see below, the white has been completed as well as small amounts of battle damage.

All I need to do now is completed the weapons, highlight the chains and then finish the base off. This should be done today and then I can get back to painting more of the assault squad.

ZE out

#43 ·
Nice work.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of those assault marines :good:

#46 ·
First of all, thank you for your views and comments.

Tawa so am I as well :grin:

Looks great! The Red Butchers are such awesome models.
I am really impressed with the detail on these models. Game play wise not so much but a great looking centre piece in the history of the XII Legion.

Oh man, this log is rather exciting. Great work Zero, you're creating a really well painted and interesting army!
Thank you.

Apologies for no painting update as RL has hit me again. Got to get uniform ready for an awards and honours ceremony on Tuesday a next week. I am receiving an commendation for the work I did whilst on detachment from the Air Officer Commanding, so got to look the business. Once that is out of the way I will return to the painting table.

However not all is lost on this post as something arrived at work yesterday, a pre-order that I have been eagerly awaiting for weeks after FW announced him. KHARN.

I will do another post with the contents of the box, however initial thoughts, OMG it is such a detailed model. Let's just say the guy is ripped.

Anyway must dash, I have shoes to bull.

ZE out

#45 ·
Oh man, this log is rather exciting. Great work Zero, you're creating a really well painted and interesting army!

#47 ·
Apologies again for the lack of posting.

All this RL and now man flu coming on (medic) it has been difficult just to get on with things, however as promised a closer look at the Kharn model.

Base. Technically it comes in three parts, two larger parts for the scenario and then a smaller part for the 25mm base. The way it fits together though would not allow the model to be used in gaming on the larger base as it encases the 25mm. To counter this (first time I have ever used magnets) was to magnetise the larger parts allowing the model to be displayed but at the same point allowing me to remove the model to be used in games.

Next up is the marine that has been dispatched by Kharn

The detail on this model especially the battle damage is testament to the fighting prowess of Kharn.

Next up is Kharn and all the parts to complete this model.

The head including the helmet has the butcher nails. I will of course be going for the helmet version.
The backpack, shoulder pad and both knee caps have the World Eaters symbol. My favourite part though, is the gladiatorial arm holding the pistol. It just fits in with Angron's armour and style. Finally I will be modelling him with Gorechild.

Yes people have said and will continue to mention that Kharn is posed like his Primarch Angron but what do you expect with the World Eaters, static warriors or charging headlong into battle causing the fear they are renown for.

Hope that you all like my little piece about Kharn?

Anyway as soon as I get back on my feet, painting will restart on the assault marines and then Kharn as a treat.

ZE out

#49 ·
Good evening and apologies for the lack of updates on this thread. You know the usual, work, work and work!

Please find my finished version of Kharn.

I haven't completed the scenic base. That is a project for a later date.

I have now all the pieces and models for the 1500pts plus the additions of Angron, Kharn and the unit of Red Butchers.

Next on the workstation are the first five of an tactical squad in MKIII armour and an standard drop pod with World Eaters markings.

Please post comments if you like.
ZeroEffect out!

#50 ·
Lovely stuff, Zero! :good:

#51 ·
Tawa, cheers for the comment.

Now I did mention in my previous post that there I was working on a Drop Pod and some Tactical MKIII marines however, I have decided to tackle this instead;

Now these are WIP, just working on the armour to a point I am really happy. Next will be all the flesh tones, the red, the chains and the Butcher Nails.

I hope to have some more progress in the week on Angron and the other little projects.

ZE out

#53 ·
Welcome back Zero!

I've missed seeing your work :good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.