Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - [NSFW] Thoughts on this highly controversial Warhammer 40,000 diorama.
View Single Post
post #85 of (permalink) Old 02-07-14, 11:36 PM
Stormxlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
There is a world of difference between teaching your kids about sex education and letting them casually come into contact with rape references in a situation where they can be trivialised in the same way violence and death are.

My daughter is 4. She already knows about how babies are made and grown, and the difference between boy and girl genetalia. Does that mean I'd be willing to teach her about the horrific psychological trauma that is rape, and how she's likely to come across it at least once in her life? Hell no. Not til she's much older.

There is a time and place for all these things. And in a situation where it becomes trivialised is not the place to learn them, as that lessens the lesson. Trivialising violence and death is one thing, especially given we're talking about *war* games. Trivialising one of the deepest and most fundamental psychological traumas you can inflict upon another human being (both male or female) is another.

There is a lot of crap out there I want to shield my kids from. And I know that eventually they'll come in contact with it, and hopefully I'll have taught them enough to be able to deal with it. That doesn't mean I want to be playing Monopoly with them and have a "you were caught raping a girl in a back alleyway, go straight to jail" card come up.

There are good reasons things like rape are left out of games. We've been over many of them in this thread already. I wasn't wheeling out "it'll hurt kids" as a last ditch thing, it's the simple truth. There are many things out there that will hurt kids - hiding them from it won't do them any good, but is slamming it in their faces in a *game* going to be better? I think not...
Yes you are absolutely right, there is no place for rape in 40k as a game for children or in any game for children at all. Child's innocence should be preserved until they figure it out by themselves and grow out of it.
Nowhere do I say it is fine to slam them with it in the face is and should be better that way.

When I was a child I spent most of my time alone since my parents were always busy trying to provide for the family it was a hard time for us I learned most of the real world "problems" from books,TV and newspapers or just saw it in with my own eyes.
Life in 3rd world post soviet country was tough, alcoholism and poverty were and are a commonplace. I never believed in Santa or magic and my parents never had to explain it to me. I was raised knowing that a world is not all rainbows and chocolate but that everyone is capable of evil and that it lurks in every corner and should I not be careful something might happen. I dont think I ever had a sex talk or what is death talk with my parents at least not that I remember of. The best thing is, I was treated like an adult with a mind and body of a child.

Maybe it is difference of the time and worlds that we live in but I never had anything triviliased for me, I took it at a face value. By the age of 6 as far as I remember I already knew of murder, rape, and torture, how bad they were and how evil it was.
In no way I am judging you as a parent or condoning any actions you do or dont. I am simply presenting my point of view on the subject at hand since you brought up your experience of parent to child relation ship.

I grew up watching Bruce Lee movies, Jackie Chan, Shwartzneger and all those hyper violent movies of 80s and 90s, but sex was a taboo. Yes I understand why rape is, but just a general act of sex?
However here is a problem which I am facing why is violence so desensitized? Why can one trivialize violence what are the motives for that ?
And no I do not say lets trivialize rape.

Last edited by Stormxlr; 02-07-14 at 11:39 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome