Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Wargaming snobbery and 40k hate
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-14, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Straken's_Fist

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Default Wargaming snobbery and 40k hate

Hey,

Just wanted to talk briefly about my FLGS and how myself and others have noticed the more time we spend there the more we notice an air of snobbery amongst some members that is kind of dragging the whole atmosphere down. I was wondering if anyone else here has had similar experiences.

What I mean by this is that (especially lately) there are a few regular members who will immediately go on a rant about 40k if anyone so much as mentions it. Then they will go on about it for ages; how broken it is, how expensive it supposedly is, and then how much better other gaming systems are.

Don't get me wrong, people have every right to critcise 40k, and I often point out things that I see wrong with it. However, I wouldn't go on about it for 10+ minutes multiple times everytime I am in the club, and I wouldn't do it so it interrupts and disrupts peoples gaming.

What gets me is that if you don't like 40k and are happy playing other systems, why would you spend so much time talking about something you don't even like? If you are playing Infinity, Malifaux, Helldorao, Warmachine etc why go on about 40k constantly when you could talk about these gaming systems?
Hardly anyone ever plays 40k there anymore, and I think it's because you cannot even bring up the words Games Workshop without someone going off on a rant about it. I do not feel like I can really play it there anymore because of this. Maybe it's because I am just not a hardcore gamer? I play Malifaux and recently Infinity but still love my 40k, mainly because it still has by far the best/deepest background that I have come across. I like all of them for different reasons, so I don't get how people who supposedly hate 40k talk about it all the time.
So what if 40k is unbalanced? If you want a highly balanced well tested gaming system, play something else, there is so much choice out there and none are very expensive to start and play.
40k - for me at least - is for fun, beer and pretzels gaming. And that is what I happen to like the most. Does it have problems? Yeah. Do I go on about it constantly? No. Am I better than 40k gamers because I play other systems? What the fuck. No. I find it pretty pathetic that people would have to feel that way, because it seems to show that they don't have much going on outside of gaming and the only way they can define themselves is through their gaming.

I would understand and sympathise if people didn't have a choice to play anything but 40k in their hometown, but in this instance they do, so I don't get why people have to be so snobby about it and go around with a air of arrogance just because they play different systems.

End rant.

SF

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome