Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - New Tyranids, my first Impression
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 01:29 AM
Mokuren

Today I have browsed through the Tyranid codex. It's not mine so I don't have it on hand right this moment, which means I don't exactly remember costs or effects, but I still have a feel of their general state.

I like the new codex. If we didn't have stuff like riptides, missilesides, wave serpents, 48" scoring jetbikes and screamerstars I'd be pretty satisfied with its general state, unfortunately a few problems have been laid in this edition that we'll have to keep for several years which kind of spoil the fun.

But, against anything that isn't tournament comp I think it's a lot better than it first looked. And I don't mean better than the internet backlash made it sound, I mean better than I personally thought when looking at costs and stats. Sure, lots of things got nerfed, and I do mean a lot (no rerolls from scything talons and almost everything being WS 3, still being an assault-dependant army in an edition where shooting rules and shooty armies are in control of what gets to assault and what doesn't, plus the removal of mycetic spores) but I don't see, for example, Space Marines or non-screamerstar Daemons or IG auto-winning against pretty much anything Tyranids could possibly field.

Hell I've been wanting to play my sisters against Tyranids since forever and I'm pretty sure it would be a fun game, and if sisters stand a chance against it it cannot possibly be a broken codex. It would be terrible broken if it was to struggle against them, but I don't think that's the case either.

It's still going to be vastly ignored in the meta and hardly going to place anywhere relevant in tournament play.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome