Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - New Tyranids, my first Impression
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-14, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Serpion5
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickboxerdog View Post
ive not got the book but want a nid army, one question is there any rules that allow stealers to outflank and charge or oare mine going to stay on my shelf lol
Genestealers themselves are more or less the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
Tyranid Prime-Went up by over 40 points and the weapon options are more expensive. There is precious little to recommend one over a Hive Tyrant now.
I still find it useful, potentially. I'm having a game with one today just to see if its points increase really costs me in the end considering the points drops elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
Carnifex-Still in broods and got price slashed by a 1/4 from last book. Gained 1I and have great options for them. Living Battering Ram is better now and they really look great for Shock Assaults. Also get tail weapons back (Yay!)
I agree, I think we'll see a return of these fellas. I know I will, I have the models so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I don't rate the Hive Crone. It's quite expensive, really fragile (T5 4+ is awful), and while Str8 Vector Strike is nice, it's not enough to deal with the really relevant aircraft (Vendetta and Heldrake - hurts Night Scythes, but I'd be amazed if you stayed alive past turn 2 against Necrons).
Given that it is at least a competitive air option, I definitely rate the Hive Crone. I'm testing one today, if it does half as well as I hope I'll still be taking two in my list.

Quote:
I have an issue with it being only Str7 and only BS3. Demolisher Cannons can insta-kill people and can almost always get Divination for TL BS4 to make it hit things, while Riptides can get BS5 and Ignores Cover as well as insta-killing T4 and being a credible threat to tanks. Exocrines do technically have the rule where they stand still for +1 BS, but at only 24" range, rare is the army that will let you do that. Str7 AP2 is nice, but it's mounted on a pricy chassis (almost 50pts more than a Vindicator), as well as being fairly fragile (T6 and a 3+ is nice, but everyone and their dog is geared up to deal with 5 T8 3+ wounds or 6 T6 2+ wounds with Invulnerables, so T6 3+ 5 wounds is pretty blah as far as statlines go).
Still, the mere fact that we have an AP2 BLAST weapon is a huge step forward and can be critical in any number of early game situations, or even late game terminator surprises. It's definitely something I wouldn't simply right off because it seems worse than other army equivalents on paper.

Quote:
Really? I think this is definitely the weakest trait table so far. Feel No Pain when you've taken a wound is pretty nice seeing as Regen is a pretty solid choice again, and +6" Synapse is never bad, but Night Vision/-1 to Cover are both bad for the same reason (Tyranids have short-range, high-AP torrent fire - Tau would love this trait, but it doesn't synergize with how Tyranids work).
I have never considered warlord traits all that essential, but these ones I actually can see being applicable in a lot of games. One thing I've notices is that the codex includes multiple means to obtain a few of the same buffs, either by lucky dice rolling or by paying points. Taking Old Adversary for example would nullify your adaptive biology here for instance, but if you'd rather save points and try your luck, hey well you can.

Quote:
Some of them are ok, some of them are atrocious (Norn Crown, cool fluff does not validate you), but I think that they suffer the same problems as almost everyone else's Relics in that all but one or two of them are hugely overpriced or simply not very good.
To be frank I think they're all pretty atrocious for their points cost, but they're all also good for a laugh and provide great modelling opportunities. Honestly I think that's all they're really here for. The Norn crown is for if you don't want to risk rolling the same ability on the psyker or warlord tables, the reaper is just a lashwhip bonesword combo in one with a strength bonus and the pincers are more or less just like the old scything talons for effect, except you have to kill something before they work. Like I said, a laugh and an interesting conversion.

Nonsense is our Salvation

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome