Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Who Can Kill the Nightbringer?

9K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  Vashtek 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I have a Chaos Space Marine army and my buddy has a Necron Army. He wants me to do some kind of Kill Team Vs. his Necron Nightbringer. (before you start, I know it like brakes all the rules.) NO HOLDS BARRED! Point for point! 360pts Any suggestions? Don't worry about what models I have, I will buy what i need but it has to be Chaos

#32 ·
abbaddon is a great bet. he shud lose but he might pull it off if he has been weakened a bit by some other fire. how about a squad of ten khorne berzerkers! s5 on charge with 40 dice! 20 hit maybe 4 will wound and he only has a 4+ save right? thats 2 wounds off his straight from the off ( i guess he only has 4 yea?) problem is unless theres a pf in there those boys are gonna suffer if they dont kill him in the turn they charge. but its possible. failing that autocannons like the guard could muster will do him a treat! but id say abbaddabbadingdong is your safest bet (or ratlings- now thats a kick in the necron hard drive....)

#34 ·
Obliterators are a nice thought, what with getting slow and purposeful, but they can't move back as fast as the Nightbringer can move forward. He only needs to get within 24", and he'll be hitting them on 3+, insta-deathing them on 2+, and they'll only get their crappy invulnerable save to protect them.

I'd still go with lascannon totting Havocs with plenty of ablative wounds in the form of bolter-marines. Two squads, then place them on opposite ends of the board so the Nightbringer has a hike to the second squads after he flays the first.

The Nightbringer ignores invulnerable saves. Also, those two sorcerors will have to rely on getting a 6 on their GoC rolls, otherwise that Nightbringer that's only 6" away will grab them and shove their force weapons up somewhere only Slaanesh is usually interested in.

#37 ·
Don't forget, bolters can't wound the bastard.
Yeah, I meant use those bolter-marines as ablative wounds to protect the lascannon-marines.

Also - you had a contradiction in that post concerning invulnerable saves? possibly? I dunno.
I was assuming you get invulnerable saves against it's 24" gun, but yeah... you probably don't.

#39 ·
Fabulous smiles amazing marines?
Just buy him than load up on all basic marines with the mark of khorne, a lascannon, and a melta. Keep firing the lascannons as he advances and when he's nearly within range, advance with fabius bile to fire his "wounds on a 4+" three shot pistol. Than just charge with the massive amount of marines, even after the charge they'll still be s5. And if you can afford as many as you possibly can, the nightbringer probably won't be able to kill them fast enough in CC before they drop it.

#41 ·
Conscripts..... 360 points
90 troops...ooooo
do we get some overwheling number bonus? while they may no win it would be fun.

18 turns worth.

that or 32 ratlings.
3.55 wounds a turn?
wow i need more ratlings...

#43 ·
Nightbringer is awesome, powerfists only wound him on 4's and he still gets his fairly good invuln but with only say 4/5 in a squad and the nightbringer going first with 6 attacks on the charge at str 10.....oww.....dead termies, tbh i cant think of any csm that could take him out appart from lascannons and even them you wouldhave to get good rolls and your opponent would have to get bad ones, remember wounding nightbringer on 3's with lasscannons not 2's and as for obliterators when they get in conbat they are dead...DEAD!!! HA HA HA HA HA *cough cough* ha....*wheeze*

#44 · (Edited)
I have to say... My Librarian with a jump pack, furious charge, terminator honors, and pumped up with an extra attack from being close to a revealed holy relic managed to take a Nightbringer down... 7 dice, 5's to hit, rolled 2 5's and a 6. So 3 dice made it through, 6's to wound, rolled one 6, took a leadership test, passed it... one splattered Nightbringer... So it can be done... maybe I was just incredibly lucky... did some test rolling afterwards... seems to work 50% of the time... It's a gamble... but satisfying if you do in fact pull it off... If you don't... well... Your Librarian is dead by the end of the turn. Beating it over the head with sniper rounds works wonders beforehand too. if my scouts had shot a little better in the previous turn I probably would have used veil of time instead of the force weapon.

#47 ·
It's a gamble... but satisfying if you do in fact pull it off... If you don't... well... Your Librarian is dead by the end of the turn.
heh, and even then when he dies he explodes and inflicts a s6 no armor save hit.

#48 ·
hmm, unless it particularly says ignore all armor saves, including invulnerable saves, the nightbringer still gets a 4+ save. Plus needs to pass a leadership test to assault the nightbringer (i don't know if the skulltaker is autopass on those cause I don't know the rules for him. I'm just bringing up points that could conflict.) I don't know if this applies to the skulltaker either, but phase weapons can't inflict wounds. Lastly, I'm assuming the skulltaker has a higher initiative than 4 (if he only had 5 or less than this point could become a major point if the nightbringer were to charge) but the nightbringer ignores even invulnerable saves. So with strength 10 attacks and an 8 toughness it sounds like that it'd still give a skulltaker a run for its money.

#50 ·
yeah, that's true and that has to be the most irksome thing about him.

#51 ·
No kidding eh? He's basically saying "I don't need to be fast because after your puny mortal weapons fail to even ruffle my badass death cloak, I will pick you up with my mind and sodomize you with with my giant wheat trimmer from hell like a giant armored cherry on a toothpick. At my own leisure."

#52 · (Edited)
Why kill him?

Why worry about killing him? In a Lash list you can push him around possibly more than his actual movement each turn (6").
And two lashes own him hands down. He'll be lucky to not be stuck in the far corner of the board at the end of the game.

So I'd have to say *yawn* to the nightbringer, lol. :wink:

#53 ·
the nightbringer has some pretty evil abilities if you ask me, the ability to charge in over and over giving him 6 attacks can wipe out most CC even if they attack first with their initive, since in the begining of the enemy assult phase after moves have been made but before any blows are struck the nightbringer may harness its power to summon etheric winds which hurl its opponents away from it any enemy unit with a model within 6 inches (not vehicles) which has a str lower then 4 unmodded must move 2d6 inches directly away from the nightbringer. its not THAT useful (since its str 4. I think it should be STR 5 cuz of all the damn SM's around) but this does not work to break close combat with any troops (too bad)

all in all, if you wana take ou the nightbringer, use multi attacking high STR attacks. else the wounds attacks and his attacks will destroy you.

#55 ·
nightbringer is not immune to instant death(I KNOW HE'S GOD, WHATS UP WITH THAT!)
the skulltaker has I 5 4 attacks and ws 7, he also has furious charge so... he hits on 3's then all needs is too roll a 4 and the night bringer to fail his save and he's dead, because all rending attacks from the skulltaker inflicts instant death, oh yea skulltaker rends on 4+ not 6+:biggrin:

#56 ·
Remember that you don't actually 'kill' the Nightbringer: he is a god. You shatter the Necrodermis that contains some of the Nightbringer's essence with the instant kill, but the essence lives on and returns to the Tomb World to inhabit another form.

#59 ·
One other thing to bear in mind if u wanna swamp him with s5 marines....he has a template attack in cc that is s 4 and ignores saves...everyone under an ordanmance template centred on the god (that would prob be all of them), so you will lose HALF your marines in the 1st round of cc...oh, and yes skulltaker basically eats the c'tan for breakfast...it is REALLY annoying.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.