Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - After-School Warhammer Club Secondment!!!
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-13, 07:13 AM
Kreuger
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hmm, if you're writing a lesson plan you might need to structure those topics and objectives differently. Professionally, I'm actually an instructional designer. Let's start by talking about writing learning objectives. And for that I would highly recommend that you read Bloom's taxonomy of verbs. Which is a system for categorizing the words used to elicit actions or meet expectations at different levels of thinking. Words like acceptance and appreciation don't really convey a concrete learning objective that's directly measurable. You might also want to check out this page on the (ABCD) Audience, Condition, Behavior, and Degree for learning objectives. A really good objective hits all of these.

Let's look at this on a more specific level. Let's say you wanted to teach the turn sequence or the force org chart, there are a number of ways you can do that through playing the game and discussing the experience. Before you ever get there if you wanted to describe the learning objectives for the kids they might go something like . . . .
  • Student-players will memorize the turn sequence in Warhammer 40k and be able to recite it 100% correctly.
  • Given a copy of the main rule book or a codex, student-players will be able to identify the Force organization chart with 80% accuracy.
  • Student-players will memorize the different types of units in the game: HQ, Troops, Elites, Heavy Support, and Fast attack 80% of the time.
  • Given a variety of miniatures in a game situation student-players will be able to identify the force organization chart choice for miniatures in use during a game 80% of the time.

So if we break down the last objective:
  • Audience: student-players
  • Behavior: identify force org choice
  • Condition: given miniatures to look at deployed for a game, e.g. in units and ready to play
  • Degree: 80% accuracy

If you want to knock the headmaster's socks off you can write a lesson on a specific topic for warhammer, like learning the turn sequence, and break it down into measurable criteria.

I wish you the best of luck, but I think trying to teach a 7-10 year olds everything in one session is way too much. I used to run a league (during 2nd ed) and teach people to play and paint, and generally 10 years of age was the youngest possible gamer we would let join, and even 10 was pushing it. Anywhere under 14 and there was a good chance I was babysitting while the parents shopped around.

A couple of further questions:
  • Do you expect this to be a hard sell, or was the headmaster interested?
  • How many kids do you expect to join?
  • How long will each session be?
  • How many lessons are you expecting to teach?
  • Will you be teaching both the game as well as painting and assembling the miniatures?
  • How many sessions do you hope to have before the kids are really gaming?
  • Will there be other adults helping or supervising?
  • If so, do those adults know warhammer?
All of these things could play into how you go about running this club.

Depending on your expectations there's a lot of latitude for what and how you are going to teach.

Let me know if this was helpful, or if you have any questions!

Best regards,
Kreuger

edit - it might be a good idea to break your club's plan down by topic and set some goals.

So a "Goal" would be a more general outcome like 'learn the game' or 'learn the turn sequence'. So maybe each club meeting might have 1 or 2 goals, with each goal supported buy several objectives. For example the first meeting might be all about explaining the concept of the game and the background, and sharing the books and letting the kids look through the miniature photos and some real miniatures you have.

It might also help to structure the game play objectives in the order the kids will need to learn them.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 12-11-13 at 07:34 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome