Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Iraqiel's menagerie - Project Log

50K views 377 replies 44 participants last post by  Iraqiel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Heretics.

I've been taking lots of photos of stuff, and I thought I'd actually get round to making a general log of things I work on and complete. This is likely to be a hodgepodge of everything, as I get bored often. However, hopefully some of you enjoy flicking through and are inspired to plagiarise ideas, just like I have from everyone on the internet who is better at this stuff than I am.

Without further ado:

Terrain

Last night I finished this little baby up to a tabletop standard. I love this model. My favourite race in the Dawn of War series were Sisters of Battle, and this looks like it has just jumped right from the game onto my painting bench.
http://www.secretweaponminiatures.c...id=378&zenid=99be8d66a3c126fa05d85ca51d66600f

And my version, painted to fit either an Inquisition or Mechanicus look:

Terrain has been an off and on thing for me. A while back, I cut off all the spare bits from my guard sprues and painted a handful of them, which I now scatter around a board when I'm feeling luxurious about the time I have to game. I'll get photos up eventually of more terrain I've painted, but in the mean time here is a building that a good friend of mine put together for me years ago and I've only just now got around to painting.

As a man with over 12,000 points of his own ultramarines, I'm sure he'd be put out that I painted that particular detail the way I did... let's just call it a portent of the next game we get to have!

Tyrranids

As something to break the Guard and Grey Knights up (so much grey...) I've also started a Tyrranid force. Numbers so far: 28 Hormagaunts, with another 12 to come this month. So far they look like this.

The Transluscent orange was fun, if like scratching nails over a chalkboard. There was no precision about it, I just mixed one part GW Blazing Orange with about six parts of student's gloss medium (really claggy stuff) and laid it on thick. Then I got a cheap brush that wasn't claggy and dragged it off the bits I needed to detail. Yuk. Still, it gives a great insectile skin look.

Grey Knights
Much of the Grey Knights I have can be seen in this year's army painting challenge, but I'll reproduce them here as well:

Storm Raven Project:

Various Strike Squad members (wood fire ash and PVA with blood red and water effects used for the bases:

Various Terminators:

The Land Raider Project (still waiting for that damn psycannon):

The Brotherhood Champion Project:

More to come as I update my photo collection and finish new things. I won't backtrack to previous things I've done, but as I get through Grey Knights and back to IG (and maybe onto DE) I'll be loading up pictures here.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback!

Most lately I've been embarrassing myself with converting a dreadknight... on a timeline. I'm stopping here and painting the thing, but I need to get some personal projects going to learn how to sculpt and how to convert things better.

This gap is really annoying me, but it is only visible from below the unit. Normally that would be a dealbreaker for me... actually it still is. I guess I'll keep working on it.

You can't see it, but that gap between dreadnought chassis and Dreadknight torso is closed by a recursive section of the IG armour.

Fixing this now, somehow.

As much as this modelling is annoying me (Darwin heat and hayfever are not to a scalpel, plastic model and glue conducive) I am getting more and more excited about painting this and making it look nice.

#7 ·
Ok, not much hobby recently thanks to Girlfriend time, busted car and work (excuses excuses) but here's where I'm up to of late:

Finished the Landraider, and Kudos to forgeworld for the great customer service and (relatively) quick turnaround.

I bought one of those LED magnifying lamps and rate it highly. This photo doesn't do it justice, but I've been finding it helps with the fine detail stuff.

Progress (slow but steady) on the Dreadknight:

And lastly, got a box that has me giddy with excitement...

That's where I'm at. If anyone's looking forward to the next installment of my narrative battlereports, I'm afraid to say it is going to be delayed until I can wrest the photos of my second game from my friend, who has them on his tablet.

#8 ·
That leviathan looks like it was made specifically for grey knights. Cant wait to see what you managed to pull of with that. And im also wondering if you have any more shots of your terrain. Im looking at the one at the top of this page and im astunded at ho well made it is. I need to steal some of your ideas

#9 ·
Progress. Gradual, but satisfying to look back on.

I think I will probably revisit later to blend that sky a bit more, the light to dark is still too abrupt. Also... stars. Need stars.

#11 ·
This particular banner is huge, so no problems at all with the details. When you see the finished product, you'll see that it is actually taller than the dreadnought's body.

In terms of painting it, it was great. The moulded details have enough shape to lend immediate form to the colour, drybrushing is still feasable, and there is still scope for blends... although it does get a bit tight around some of the backgrounds. If I were to do it again, I'd probably work from the lowest (deepest) details up to avoid rework or (horror) painting over some fine detail already painted.

#14 · (Edited)
Right. Got some painting done this weekend, it was good.

First, put on the plastic screen for the dreadnought body and gave it a little 'fog'. Looking at it with the light, you can see the interior details still, which I was worried would be obscured.

Detailing on the armour has gone pretty well too, I think. I decided to let the natural shine of the metalic paint do the work of highlighting for me on these pieces and let the patterning draw the eye.

From there, painted the shoulder shield, blended the sword blade, blue tacked (damn friends borrowing my magnetising kit) the incinerator, finished the banner, painted electricity arcs, 'smoked' up some cotton wool and did some base details. Done.

#16 ·
Fantastic model - i like the conversion, the banner and the smoke base is freaking epic!

My only drawback would be the lightning - it's lacking in detail compared to the rest of the model. Maybe going over this in a light blue and highlighting it up to white would improve it?

#17 ·
Hmmm, Varakir I'm not not sure which lightning you are refering to... The 'arcs of electricity' on the pistons (Jump kit?) at the back or the detailing on the armour?

With the armour, I was hoping for an 'inlay' effect, like a reverse of the etching you can see here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morrisrh/pics/gaunt1.jpg

#19 ·
Thanks Ddraig, I have two on my dream list (though reading apocalypse, perhaps that should be three?) and I'm wondering what I'd do for a second... I'm thinking a 'ghost' powered one with a marine posed the same as the dreadknight ethereally floating before it.

#21 ·
That, sir, is glorious. I applaud your ingenuity in creating such a beautiful conversion, and take my hat off to your vision and skill in executing it. The banner as a loincloth is simply brilliant.

#27 ·
Use a dark grey or even Black as a base layer for the vines and then just go over with a fine layer of metal color of your choice and the whole thing should pop more. It would certainly add depth to the model. You can take it a step further and Base the outline with Black. then a darker grey to bring the intensity down a bit from the black and then finally lay down a chainmail/ mithril silver equivalent. (or go with a lighter grey for more of a NMM effect. Other than that Its a gorgeous Model Mate im not sure id be able to pull that off as well as you have.

#31 ·
Saw some of these on DakkaDakka, they are awesome! But, practicality is my catchword at the moment, a house move looms close in my future.

#30 ·
Ok, keeping it simple so that I can game with this terrain this weekend... possibly tomorrow. Possibly after a work function. Possibly I don't want to do any immaculate detailing in case something unfortunate happens to them, as it has before happened to the odd mini knocked or dropped onto the floor. And stepped on (accidentally).

Still, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, for tabletop standard it was fairly quick to knock out.

Last night, still looking a bit shiny:

Fin:

Now, to basecoat those gaunts and prep next month's challenges. With the amount of drinking I've got to knuckle down and do this month, I'm not sure I'll be able to finish anything else this before December.

#34 ·
Ok, keeping it simple so that I can game with this terrain this weekend... possibly tomorrow. Possibly after a work function. Possibly I don't want to do any immaculate detailing in case something unfortunate happens to them, as it has before happened to the odd mini knocked or dropped onto the floor. And stepped on (accidentally).
Keeping it simple!? if that is simple the im going to be very interested in seeing you do a detailed terrain piece!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.