Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Popularity of Aliens - Need more Divergence?
View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-26-13, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Words_of_Truth

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gary View Post
Yeah, I agree that that is the current balance as it has been since at least 3rd ed. But clearly the reason for that is market forces. Also the fact that a recent survey showed that 99.99% of GW's customers are humans, and when looking to take on a role in a story people are more than likely to go for what they can identify with at some base level. For most people it's harder to identify with an alien than it is a (genetically enhanced) super human. With GW you get your classic comic book set-up of ultra good and ultra bad (but essentially human) but unlike your classic comic books you also get a relatively speaking wide variety of complete allternatives. Could the Xenos' lore be more developed? Sure. But it's a whole lot harder to do than developing human based races and the finacial returns possibly aren't there quite yet.

You're talking to someone that just dropped over 40 on enough Forge World boarding shields for a single space marine tactical squad. Nice space marine armies aren't cheap either lol.

I guess i'm just trying to say that xenos races require a bit more effort, in all aspects of the hobby. From gaming and tactics through to painting and modelling. The old system of being able to order individual parts was awesome, if a little expensive too, but i'm sure it's still possible to get what you're after. I'd love to start a project that used Warhammer fatasy kits in a 40k army, litteraly zombie tau or something (how would you be able to tell? they're allready all so grey looking!)
Aye I know, I'm just saying in general that's the problem with xenos armies, they ain't popular because they are not diverse enough because if you want a unique individual looking army you really got to splash the cash to get the theme over and the general gaming base won't do that, thus you'll get the odd competitive army that's made up purely to crush people but won't look especially unique.

If I really put my mind to it and kept the interest I guess I could come up with a unique looking xenos army but in general this is simply not a viable option for most gamers and this contributes to the reasons why xenos armies are not as popular to the overwhelming amount of power armoured armies.

I'm about to drop 80 on 3 lots of Forgeworld Mk II marines at gamesday for my HH army

Last edited by Words_of_Truth; 09-26-13 at 01:23 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome