Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - If you were the Emperor, who would you pick to be Warmaster?
View Single Post
post #77 of (permalink) Old 08-07-13, 08:57 AM
Child-of-the-Emperor
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetherMessenger View Post
Because even Horus admits as such.
Does he? If you're referring to the False Gods quote, here it is:

No mention of his loyalty.

Sanguinius is dismissed as a suitable candidate for Warmaster in several Heresy novels due to being "too ethereal" or too "aloof", and I agree with such conclusions. That, and the amount of self-doubt that would have consumed him if he was appointed. Look at how much Horus struggled with the position (Horus Rising and False Gods) despite his gargantuan arrogance and ambition. Sanguinius would have floundered. And of course, his dark flaw could have been easily manipulated and exploited by Chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
I personally don't understand why people think anyone else would have been better for Warmaster than Horus. The problem most people have is that they associate Horus as a pure traitor, and he was the GREATEST of primarchs by far. Chosen by the greatest being in the galaxy to be Warmaster. There was a reason for it. The influence of Chaos is too powerful for ANY primarch to avoid. Chaos warps the body and mind. ANY Primarch that had been tainted by Chaos could have been turned into an agent of Chaos.

Again, Chaos changes, manipulates what it touches and there is no cure. Even to think you can fight the manipulation of chaos is ludicris, if you think about how chaos can manipulate the flesh, I think it would be easier for Chaos to manipulate the electronic impulses in the brain or even the brain itself. When thought of this way, I think it is very telling that discussing who wouldn't turn to choas when tainted is very unproductive unless they have Grey Knight invincibility.

One could say that perhaps a better Warmaster would have been one with less influence over the legions. But by playing Devil's advocate, A Warmaster that lacks the will to drive or manipulate the legions to his will would have slowed or halted the Great Crusade. Horus was that driving force that would have been able to drive ALL the legions to his will, however he was also the same force able to create enough strength to devastate the Imperium the way it did during the Heresy.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 08-07-13 at 09:03 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome