Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

a couple warmachine questions

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Aggy 
#1 ·
First: what is there stance on Proxy models.

I plan to use some warjack arms and legs on my 40k dreadnought, but It occurred to me that I could use my 'dreads' and have them play as jacks should I later decided I want to give warmachine a spin.

second: how big are there character models compared to 40K? I'm keenly interested in using some of there models to proxy some 40k sisters of battle characters. (again, keeping the above in mind) and some of there models could pass as space marines, or at least marines with atypical armor marks. (which my chapter does use)

thirdly: (random question) how do war machine and hordes interact with each other?

#2 ·
1) You would need to clear it with your opponents.

2) Sizes are very close, later today I will take some pics and post them. (6-14 hrs from now)

3) For the most part it is the exact sane game. The only difference is a resource management thing. On Warmachine the caster generates Focus at the start of his turn and allocates it to his war jacks/ uses it to cast spells. For Hordes the caster pulls Fury off his war beasts at the start of his turn. He then uses it much like a warmachine caster. He just has to make sure he does actions that generate more Fury on his war beasts so he can pull it off next turn.

#3 ·
1: so no change form normal heh?

2: you the same guy that posted photos for my dead/jack question? seems that twice I'm in your debt good sir.

3: oh that's interesting, but I was talking in a more 'fluff' perspective such as the difference between warhammer and 40k.

#5 ·
3: oh that's interesting, but I was talking in a more 'fluff' perspective such as the difference between warhammer and 40k.
It's tougher to compare them, as both WM and Hordes exist in the same world at the same point in time. Large events/happenings in the world can affect one more than the other, but there are more than a few that greatly affect both. Also, there are sevral WM and Hordes factions that interact with each other in key ways. The most straightforward example is Cryx and the Legion of Everblight. Cryx is lead by Toruk, the original dragon, who created the other dragons from pieces of himself. LoE is lead by a dragon who has opted to not reform his body since it was last destroyed and runs the faction through pawns he controls. Toruk's long term goal is to regain his full power by eating the essence of his offspring and Everblight's long term goal is to have his head pawn eat the essence of as many other dragons as he can to get as powerful as he can and later reform himself physically. As you might imagine, this puts the factions at odds with one another.

#4 ·
I would say steampunk vs fantasy in that aspect. Warmachine is literally steam punk, the jacks have boilers, there is even rules for them in water terrain having a chance that their fire is put out. Hordes are fantasy based more than any thing else.

#7 ·
might be hard to mag the arms since I'm likely going to have to cut the round sockets to fit to the flat sides of the dread, but I'll try.

thanks also about the fluff question as well. Can hoard factions and Warmachine factions square off against each other?

#10 ·
In both fluff and on the tabletop. There are some which rarely meet in the fluff (Khador and Skorne come to mind, I don't think they've ever had a major fight) just because of geography, but it's always a possibility. On the table top, it is, as I said, all the same game, and is no more a division than the Human factions and Xenos is in 40k.

#9 ·
great! thanks for the photo, so that's all good then for that plan.

we really need a data base where we have pictures of minis from different manufacturers for size comparison. Would it kill them to pose there models with a Quarter or something for scale.

#11 ·
thanks for the help every one, but now I have one last question.

the Cygnar starter set has three jacks,Ironclad, Lancer and Charger, however if I got those jacks separately they they come with extra arms to make those three jacks come with parts to make a Cyclone and Defender. (the lancer and charger seem to come with only enough for them) if i got the starter would I get the all the parts in a normal Cygnar heavy wajack kit? or just the parts for a Ironclad.

#14 ·
I don't think anyone answered your question about Warmachine and Hordes being compatible. So, yes a Warmachine faction and a Hordes faction can fight against each other. The two games take place in the same world at the same time. Go Khador!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.