Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Versus Big Mek Kustom Force Fields

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Inquisitor Einar 
#1 ·

Well, since we're thinking forward to 5th, I thought I would act on a vewy good suggestion from this last week and propose we have a good look at the Kustom Force Field option for Big Meks

Basically, instead of a Shokk Attack Gun, (because that's the only other thing worth buying for a mek) you can buy a Kustom Force Field. The KFF bestows a 5+ cover save on all units with models within 6" of the mek, and any vehicles within that range are treated as Obscured.

In 5th, Obscured vehicles get a cover save as well.
So imagine facing down a formidable Dred Mob, or a line of Battlewagons, all with a 5+ chance to negate any glancing or penetrating hit against them. Boyz dashing about in the open with invulnerable saves, etc.

Of course, in 5th independent characters can be targeted like anyone else unless they join a unit (and then they become part of the unit), so 'shoot him with railguns' is a real option. The best players will probably keep their Meks inside units of boyz or gretchen to give them a little protection.

So how do you deal with a bunch of ramshackle ork vehicles (or half-naked boyz) suddenly haivng invulnerable saves?

See less See more
#2 ·
The same way I deal with mobs of Ork Boyz moving through cover.

Sheer volume of fire.

And if you're going with a Dred Mob or a Battlewagon line, is easier, because you can focus more of your fire onto fewer targets. Just focus on bringing one down at a time, rather then spamming fire across the line.

Oh, and there's always the "run in and punch them in the face" option, too, since the KFF does SQUAT at close quarters.

Only recommended to capable assault troops, obviously.

#3 ·
An ork player running a force with a lot of vehicles is going to have a force that is small for orks. This means that plasma guns and autocannons are very viable against them. I would try for mobility killls on the ork player's vehicles, instead of anihhilation. This would allow me to keep their heavy units away, at least for a few turns, and I could focus on the heavy bolter fodder. Once I cleared away any threatening mobz, then I would work on a more permanent destruction of their heavier vehicles until more mobz showed up to threaten me, then i would repeat the process. As always with orks, it is a slugging match after the second round.

#5 ·
I'm with unmarked. Incindiary castellans. Just a big blast of bolter-like goodness.....

And if the wagons are low armour and open-topped like most orc vehicles they should do the job against them too..... That is if their armour is 10 all round. I have no ork players near me....

#6 ·
Trukks are AV10, but Battlewagons are armored more like a Leman Russ

#8 ·
As I understand it, so long as the *unit* is within 6" of the mek, it gets cover, so the models within the unit are free to spread out within coherency, they don;t have to cluster all within the bubble

#10 ·
Yep, T4
So if you can get a shot at them they;re not unkillable

#11 ·
The quick fix for fighting Orks is to take the fight to them. They rely on getting the charge, so don't let them have it. Get up in their green xenos faces with weapons like flamers that ignore cover, and follow up with a steadfast charge with dedicated assault units. Suddenly, that kustom force field is just dead weight for the Mek when the other side is getting the jump on the boyz!

#13 ·
Flamers are your friend ;) Ofcourse my sisters have plenty of those. I once played against orc speed freaks in a tourney. My cannonness blocked a couple of trukks coming from the flank, and my calidus held up some with her neural scrambler and then the orks when he got out.
Flamers did wonders against his orcs and my seraphim chopped up his little trukk with ease with their eviscerator.

Small note: Speed freaks when they fall back, go to their trukks and auto regroup in them. So if you shoot a squad that just disembarked and it runs back inside, assault the trukk they are in. This is considered part of their unit, so you may assault it.
( that is how the judge ruled it on that tourney anyway )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.