Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Books/Series?
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-13, 08:49 PM
Lord of the Night
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hm well my favourite series are;

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy: Absolutely love this series. It's witty, hilariously funny nearly all the time, the action is superbly written, and the plot of each book is top-notch and the overall plot has shaped up to be excellent, it will end next year with Book 9 and i'm dying to know how it all will end. Plus again, it's just so freaking funny. I never laugh as hard as when I read a Skulduggery Pleasant novel, everything is just so funny. The characters, magic, setting, plot twists, jokes, one-liners, even just conversation ends up being funny.

Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi: One of the best sci-fi series out there, yet tragically under-read due to being Japanese in origin and the books being more novella-length than actual novels. But it's a great series with some of the strangest magic and technology you'll see, a fine protagonist whose presence is a harbinger of destiny and with plenty of great books with endings that range from bittersweet to pure tragedy with a tiny silver lining. Beautiful artwork by Yoshitana Amano, the guy who does all the Final Fantasy artwork, to boot.

The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser: The best historical fiction series out there, and it's all based in real history too so you learn while you read. Very much a series with a hero in the broadest possible sense, but very funny and action-packed and exciting as well. Truly a shame that Fraser passed away five years ago and we'll never see anymore of the Flashman books, but the 12 books of the series are all brilliant.

The Demon Cycle - Peter V. Brett: A gripping and exciting series that many claim is the new Lord of the Rings, but better. Brett is a master world-builder and his characters are all flawed, interesting and likeable/hateable people who you just want to read more of, even if you don't like them. Plus an engaging and tense plot that makes every cliffhangar nail-bitingly frustrating, it's a series that I think really hooks you from the start and makes you hungry for more.

Those are my four favourite series. I would encourage everyone to try them, they are definitely worth giving them a shot.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome