Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Army Painting Challenge 2013

11K views 55 replies 38 participants last post by  Relise 
#1 ·
A new painting challenge will be starting as the old one finsihed in Feburary. The challenge is designed to help people get motivated to paint a good portion of their armies over the period of a year. You have to paint an unit a month, every month. If you complete the challenge, besides having a nice shiney painted army, you will recive a Heresy Award , Baton of the Grand Marshall.

I think a little twist of the rules is in order for this year so here are the new rules.

The challenge will be starting at the beginning of May, 2013 so get those models ready. Please post any questions and I will try to answer as soon as I can.

The Challenge Rules

At the beginning of each month I am going to open a new thread for the challenge. Post a picture of the unit before it has been painted. A picture of the completely painted unit needs to be posted before the end of the month. At the end of the month the thread will be closed.

I’ll post a thread with all the months completed entries each month and list the number of entries each person in the challenge has completed.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own WIP thread if you want to, but to meet the challenge you need to post a completed unit in the challenge thread. And just like gaming there is no point cheating on this, you are only cheating yourself.

The definition of a unit for this is a squad, a character, monstrous creature, a vehicle or squadron of vehicles. This can be a 40K or WHF army. The army does not have to be ‘new’, so an army that has been started is fine, just remember the point is to paint 10 or 11 units.

You will be allowed to enter units from upto 2 different armies (even 2 different game systems if you want). You may also enter terrain pieces that count as fortifications. So for instance you may start with 3 months of doing Space Marines, but decide you need to get some of you Skaven painted, and spend another couple of months painting these. Then switch back to Space Marines for a month and paint a Fort of Rdemption.

There is no limit to the amount of times you switch between the 2 armies, but once selected, entries from these 2 armies will be the only ones eligible. Also there is no need to choose another army if you think you can do the whole challenge with a single army.

The challenge is to enter units so that you can have a nicely painted army at the end. I do not expect the entire army to be FOC legal. There is no hard and fast rules about what will be acceptable over the course of the challenge but you should stick to the spirit of the challenge. Do not, for example, enter 10 single minature HQ choices over 10 months and expect it to constitute an army. I do keep an eye on what people are entering and will let you know if you are no keeping to the spirit of the challenge.

Everybody entering the challenge will be allowed to have two 'Too much real life to paint!' tickets that they can use. This means you can have two months in the year where we will not expect any pictures of painted mini's. There is no need to advise me of these as a missing month will be marked as a Too much life ticket automatically when I do the book keeping.

See less See more
#34 ·
I want to give it a shot! I have been collecting models to start a CSM army! I work alot and the old lady has been giving me crap about paypal purchases but I will do my best! I have a squad of zerkers already primed, does that disqualify them? And what about 5man havoc squads and 3man termicide units? Are they too small to qualify?

#36 ·
I want to give it a shot! I have been collecting models to start a CSM army! I work a lot and the old lady has been giving me crap about paypal purchases but I will do my best! I have a squad of zerkers already primed, does that disqualify them? And what about 5man havoc squads and 3man termicide units? Are they too small to qualify?
Based on the rules for the last couple years, their all fine, primed is fine

All that's needed to qualify is a tabletop legal unit. You can have a legal unit of 1 vehicle, 3 termis or a character

#38 ·
I would love to do this, but won't get back from this work trip until mid-June. If I work hard and catch up some units over the rest of the year, can I still join?

#41 ·
The challenge starts in May and you need ten month's worth of entries:

Everybody entering the challenge will be allowed to have two 'Too much real life to paint!' tickets that they can use. This means you can have two months in the year where we will not expect any pictures of painted mini's.
So you could miss May and June and still complete the challenge without needing to catch-up.

#43 ·
I'm going to give this a go this year :)

I'm at Warhammer world in 2 weeks and I need to get a Vindicator done so my first Army will be my Marines.
They are my own chapter of Vanilla called Storm Bringers.
Already have about 3k painted but they need bolstering with some other options!!

#48 ·
The challenge didn't start until this month, people can join whenever.

Join in! The more the merrier!

AFAIK you just have to jump in and if you complete 10 months or more entries in the year you complete the challenge. Its harder than than it sounds!

#52 ·
I tried to ask via PM but since june's gonna end soon I need a quick reponse so sorry if this is not the right place.

I joined Heresy Online last week and I find this competition very interesting, so here's my question: now I'm working on a Hector Rex converted and I'm going to finish it soon, do you think it's possible to use this model for this month?

Of course I haven't any picture of it unpainted, so if it's a problem nevermind, I'll try to paint something else before july or I'll just skip these two months.

Well, I want to join most for get the right motivation since I've started painting in the end of May after a long period of inactivity!

#50 · (Edited)
Decided that sadly I am going to withdraw from the painting challenge :(

Sat down and worked out that my time vs current projects graph does not make for pretty viewing and that the last thing I need is another thing to work on. Plus I found painting to a target took me out of OCD comfort zone.

Good luck to everyone :)

#51 ·
Noooooo....!!!!! :shok:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.