Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - 1000pts Competitive BA for a Tournament. C&C needed!
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
ntaw

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
once again you don't need melta bombs here, especially with 2 metlas already in the squad. The only time I could see it being useful is against MCs, but if you drop both melta bombs you could instead have a power-fist that could do the job just as well.
Against MC's I'm fucked either way with I1 attacks, whether it be a power fist or Melta bombs. Generally speaking, they wade through me...but that's just what I have faced thus far.

Quote:
once again you don't need melta bombs here, especially with 2 metlas already in the squad. The only time I could see it being useful is against MCs, but if you drop both melta bombs you could instead have a power-fist that could do the job just as well.
That choice literally came down to how much damage my dude with an axe has done over the dude with a power fist. He's like my Chuck Norris, 'cuz his squad is usually dead by turn 3 and he's lone wolfing like a madman. I may just switch that up.

Quote:
for one, if you are footslogging them I would give them bolters - only CC weapons if you put them in an assault vehicle (PWs aside, these should of course have BPs). Also, the rest of your army is fast/can get there quickly, with these guys falling behind they will be very vulnerable. And I assume your reclusiarch will be with them as well? Against Dark Eldar especially their fast vehicles will be able to swoop around and massacre them (with your warlord...). I'm not sure how you could fit it in, but I would definitely try to mobilize them. Or drop them. With these 230 point you could do a lot of damage... Maybe another Tactical squad or a Baal and some landspeeders or something.
I've used this tactic with Hammernators and it's worked brilliantly, but that is usually helped by their 3++. I could drop the Baal and put them in a Razorback, but that cuts the Baal and doesn't help them get into CC really. They can't have bolters due to modelling. Even if I roll a 1 for them running, they will be 5" behind the razorbacks. If something is going to flank me turn 2 they'd almost have to themselves be going flat out as well. I agree they are the weakest part of this list, but a Reclusiarch has to be my HQ as I don't have the time to make a Libby before this starts. As it is I have to paint a Rhino chassis, 3 bolter marines and the Drop Pod around three jobs and a gig in the next 14ish days.

My ADL is being painted in the same colour scheme as the table I'm having made for me, and I seriously doubt I would get it back in time to use. Otherwise this list would be very different.

If I drop the MB's and the DC I'm up 140 points to spend. If I bust my ass on the other guys I might be able to finish a 5 man assault squad, with a power sword. I want him to have a lightning claw, but modelling woes. Dropping a jump pack on the Reclusiarch and adding in that 5 man squad is 140 points. How do you feel about that adjustment? Just to clarify it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Reclusiarch w/Jump Pack - 155

Assault Squad - 5x marines, sergeant w/power sword - 115

Assault Squad - 10x marines w/2x Meltas, sergeant w/Power Axe
in a drop pod - 225

Scouts - 5x w/Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks and a Missile Launcher - 100

2x Tactical Squads - 4x Bolter Marines + Bolter sergeant each, both in Razorbacks w/Heavy Bolters - 145 each

Baal Predator - Assault Cannon, no sponsons - 115
Keeps the mobility of the squad. Means more painting, but I think (/hope) that I have actually already done at least the reds on that 5 man assault squad. It's a lot of painting to get done, but it would be worth it to not get ran in my first games out.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome