Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - 1000pts Competitive BA for a Tournament. C&C needed!
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 08:03 PM
JAMOB
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
It's a good vs. evil tournament run at the local store. I'm gunna be up against Chaos Space Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Orks, and Tyranids. I have experience against CSM, that's about it. This is what I'm thinking thus far:
that's an interesting idea... i think what you'll be facing the most will probably be horde armies, other than CSM. Or at the very least lots of models... Daemons have become much more "hordy" with the decrease in points on all their troops, Dark Eldar will have lots of models and you will need some good shooting to take down those abhorredly annoying fast skimmers and then orks and nids are straight up hordes/swarms (though watch for nidzilla). So basically you need the weight of fire to deal with hordes big things and fast things. And also mech. Oh joy...

Quote:
Reclusiarch w/Melta Bombs - 135
you don't really need melta bombs with what you'll be facing - you could keep it if you want but I would drop it.

Quote:
Assault Squad - 10x marines w/2x Meltas, sergeant w/Power Axe and Melta Bombs
in a drop pod - 230
once again you don't need melta bombs here, especially with 2 metlas already in the squad. The only time I could see it being useful is against MCs, but if you drop both melta bombs you could instead have a power-fist that could do the job just as well.

Quote:
Death Company - 5x marines, 2x Power Swords. Bolt Pistols/CCW otherwise. - 130
for one, if you are footslogging them I would give them bolters - only CC weapons if you put them in an assault vehicle (PWs aside, these should of course have BPs). Also, the rest of your army is fast/can get there quickly, with these guys falling behind they will be very vulnerable. And I assume your reclusiarch will be with them as well? Against Dark Eldar especially their fast vehicles will be able to swoop around and massacre them (with your warlord...). I'm not sure how you could fit it in, but I would definitely try to mobilize them. Or drop them. With these 230 point you could do a lot of damage... Maybe another Tactical squad or a Baal and some landspeeders or something.

Quote:
Scouts - 5x w/Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks and a Missile Launcher - 100
I always like this squad layout and it's great to have a backward objective holder like this.

Quote:
2x Tactical Squads - Bolters, both in Razorbacks w/Heavy Bolters - 145 each
I'm assuming these are 5 man squads? Based on points anyway... I have little-no experience with this kind of unit, I normally have 10-man squads in or not in rhino's, so im not sure how to advise you with them - but if you think they work you may as well go for it.

Quote:
Baal Predator - Assault Cannon, no sponsons - 115
If you can find the points (maybe from the DC) I would take sponsons, just so that in the event of a weapons-destroyed thing it is still useful. And it shells out much more fire...

Quote:
The idea is to drop in the pod next to the worst piece of armour and deal with it first turn. Sometimes it doesn't work out, most of the time it does. The two Razorbacks flank the Baal to protect its side armour as they speed across the board to reinforce the Assault squad. Guns blazing with that 12" fast movement. Death Company foot slogs out of sight behind the tanks, hopefully I don't constantly get 1's with my run rolls. Scouts are likely on my other flank holding an objective/being that jerk squad that's hard to kill in cover. Potentially, if the opponent doesn't field armour I will be deploying the drop pod empty to mess with LOS. In that case the assault squad will be less mobile and the Meltas will be a waste, but likely used supporting the scouts as a counter assault unit. There really isn't any anti-air, but I'm hoping that I'm in fast enough that any fliers coming in will have to go over and past me or deploy in hover mode. Vector Strikes are a bitch, but what can I really do to avoid them aside from mount my squads in tanks to try and minimize initial casualties?
Pod strategy I like, same with Baals (though sponsons are always useful anyway) but the DC footslogging I find problematic. Against mobile lists they'll never see combat, and against other lists it may be too late. As for fliers, you probably won't see that many, but even so that's quite a problem, having no defense... I honestly forgot about that. I would take some points from the DC and get a quad-cannon with an aegis... Maybe put the scouts there for a nice automatic 2+ cover save.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any help! This will be my first tournament, and I'm in a craze to get the last little bit of this painted in the next two weeks. I have a ton of stuff that I can swap in/out, but no jump pack models will be used as I don't have them done in any way really. Time constraints and all.
I'm sorry if I wasn't more helpful. I really think that dropping the DC is the right choice, just because they are so immobile. If you really don't want to that's fine, but it kinda negates all my other suggestions. If you do keep them, I would switch most to bolters as they are much more effective (disregarding assault vehicles).

GLHF in your tournament, I hope you do well.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome