Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - New Player Needs Help With Eldar Army
View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-13-13, 12:06 AM
Ragewind
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Ok now that I have a bit of time lets go over everything starting backwards.

As for your last post your list would have a very difficult fight with mine because the way yours is setup is that you go to the enemy. Eldar can play that game just as well as anyone but the thing that seperates us is the fact we are not as tough as other races. Nor do we have the numbers to take those losses like the Orks do.

Now I wasen't asking how you would beat mine but lets take a look at the proffered strategy. You are in essence hoping to draw me out, no arty you can take (yes not even a vibro cannon) could force me to come to you and with my 72' Multi Barrage strike I could easily kill what platforms or tanks you take. The reason being is the fact im hiding in AV 14 shells and you are not. Because you do not have a duable fire base to operate from this strategy won't work. You NEED something to shrug off long ranged fire power and foce them to head your way.

As for the seocnd part yes our Psykers are force multiplyers. You COULD take guide for 20+ points or just take MInd War (or some other low cost power) and swap it out for Prescience that not only does what Guide does but also allows re-rolls in CC. Belive it or not we don't actually need Eldrad anymore since we can take multiple farseers. Two Farseers with Fortune cost 170 points whereas Eldrad costs 210. You can see how important that 40 point difference is when you just want the two units fortuned. Now if you plan to rock the house with Eldrad you need to Roll on Telepathy and then he can really bring the pain to enemy units and playing MC's.

As for the stats on Tau and Deldar units you can see those at the back of the rulebook when you get a chance to read it. I reccomend going on Ebay and finding someone selling the smaller Rulebook for like 10 bucks instead of spending 40+ on the hardback.

Broadsides have a weapon called a Railgun, its Str 10 AP 1, range 72 inches and is twin linked. What I do with my farseers is I roll on the divination table and see if I can get the Perfect Timming power that allows me to ignore Cover saves, IF and ONLY IF i roll that power I put him with the Broadsides thus preventing any cover saves on the vehicles i am trying to shoot. PEOPLE HATE THAT!! If I don't get what I want I switch it out for the prime power and grab precience for the D-Cannons. The reason I told you this is because of how multi purpose each of my units are, not only the weapons they bring but the fact that the individual units can multiply different units.

If you plan on advancing your list you will want DE as they have a lot of good units that can advance and be durable or dangerous at the same time, if you want to sit back then you want Tau.

I also just noticed your edit, you are right on the money. The important thing to understand about why I use a Bastion and a Fortress is that most people CANNOT take their eyes off the 5 AV 14 bunkers on the table. They simply cannot ignore them and do everything they can to kill them off. I basically take them as a distraction, regardless of if they kill anything or not (oh they will) they keep my enemy looking right where I want him to look. Once my jetbikes come on the table they can hide behind the HUGE fortress and rush out winning me the game (if you have not see the FOrtress model it is VERY large). I am basically stalling until end game.

The next important thing to consider is target priortiy, what hurts you the most has to die first. In your army I don't want the Wraithguard rushing up to my Fortress so with my many Cover busting low AP attacks I will make sure that it drops and then finish the second serpent. After that you basically have nothing that can hurt me, this is the inherent weakness in your list. Instead of using D-Cannons try using the Spinner weapon, its only Str 6 but it does have a 48' range (you cannot hide from that) and it hits vehicles on the side armor allowing good chances at glancing or penetrating them.

Using your last models and the ones you have comming in the mail I would try using...

2000 Pts - Eldar Roster

Heavy Support: Dark Reapers
2 Dark Reapers, 147 pts ((pp.34 & 66 Eldar); Reaper Launcher)
1 Dark Reaper Exarch ( Crack Shot ; Tempest Launcher)

Heavy Support: Dark Reapers
2 Dark Reapers, 147 pts ((pp.34 & 66 Eldar); Reaper Launcher)
1 Dark Reaper Exarch ( Crack Shot ; Tempest Launcher)

Heavy Support: Support Weapon Battery
3 Support Weapon Battery , 90 pts ((pp.45 & 66 Eldar); Artillery; Shadow Weaver)
6 Guardians (Shuriken Catapult x6)

Elite: Wraithguard
1 Eldrad Ulthran, 210 pts ((pp.50-51 & 61 Eldar); Psyker (3); Doom ; Eldritch Storm ; Fortune ; Guide ; Mind War ; Divination; Ghosthelm; Rune Armour; Runes of Warding; Runes of Witnessing; Spirit Stones; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade; Staff of Ulthamar; Independent Character; Warlord; 6E Psychic Disciplines: ; Divination; Telepathy)
1 Farseer, 140 pts ((pp.26, 28 & 60 Eldar); Psyker (2); Doom ; Fortune ; Fleet; Ghosthelm; Rune Armour; Runes of Witnessing; Spirit Stones; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade; Independent Character)
3 Wraithguard, 250 pts ((pp.46 & 62 Eldar); Fearless; Wraithsight; Wraithcannon x3)
1 Wave Serpent ((pp.45 & 63 Eldar); Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); 12 model capacity; Energy Field; Star Engines; Vectored Engines; Shuriken Cannon; TL Shuriken Cannons; Jink)

Elite: Striking Scorpions
7 Striking Scorpions, 290 pts ((pp.33 & 62 Eldar); Mandiblaster; Scorpion Chainsword; Shuriken Pistol; Plasma Grenades)
1 Striking Scorpion Exarch ( Shadowstrike ; Stalker ; Mandiblaster; Scorpion Chainsword; Scorpion Claw; Plasma Grenades)
1 Wave Serpent ((pp.45 & 63 Eldar); Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Tank); 12 model capacity; Energy Field; Shuriken Cannon; TL Shuriken Cannons; Jink)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron
3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron, 134 pts ((pp.40 & 64 Eldar); Eldar Jetbike; Eldar Jetbike; Shuriken Cannon x1; TL Shuriken Catapults x2; Hammer of Wrath; Jink; Relentless)
1 Warlock ((pp.27-28 & 60 Eldar); Eldar Jetbike; Destructor ; Rune Armour; Eldar Jetbike; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear; TL Shuriken Catapults x1; Hammer of Wrath; Jink; Relentless)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron
3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron, 134 pts ((pp.40 & 64 Eldar); Eldar Jetbike; Eldar Jetbike; Shuriken Cannon x1; TL Shuriken Catapults x2; Hammer of Wrath; Jink; Relentless)
1 Warlock ((pp.27-28 & 60 Eldar); Eldar Jetbike; Destructor ; Rune Armour; Eldar Jetbike; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear; TL Shuriken Catapults x1; Hammer of Wrath; Jink; Relentless)

Troops: Pathfinders (Rangers)
6 Pathfinders (Rangers), 144 pts ((pp.38 & 64 Eldar); Fleet; Infiltrate; Move Through Cover; Stealth; Ignore Difficult Terrain; Pathfinder Stealth; Scouts; Shuriken Pistol x6; Ranger Long Rifle)

Troops: Guardians
10 Guardians, 128 pts ((p.39 & p.64 Eldar); Fleet; Shuriken Catapult x10)
1 Warlock ((p.27-28 & p.60 Eldar); Embolden ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear)
1 Weapon Platform (Scatter Laser)

Troops: Guardians
10 Guardians, 128 pts ((p.39 & p.64 Eldar); Fleet; Shuriken Catapult x10)
1 Warlock ((p.27-28 & p.60 Eldar); Embolden ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear)
1 Weapon Platform (Scatter Laser)

Total Roster Cost: 1942

The Scorps don't use their Serpent and instead Infiltrate somewhere out of LOS so they don't get shot. You use the Scorps tank as a Gun Tank in the background. Eldrad goes Teleptahy to screw with enemy, other Farseer just supports with Fortune and stuff. Doom the targets the Pathfinders are going to shoot. WHile Eldrad's squad is in the tank, fortune the tank and then move it Flat Out.
Obviously the Dark Reapers deploy out of LOS and rain death on enemy. Re-rolls wounds due to Crackshot.
Shadow Weaver does the same thing

Deploy the Shadow Weaver and the Reapers in different locations at least 12 inches away if possible so the enemy does not have a certain location to focus on, make them spread out.

Guardians sit back and pew pew, you can give them lances or EML but it is a waste of points

Use the warlocks on the bikes to perform hit and run attacks on enemy Tanks and units, with Destructor you can run up and dakka down a unit and then retreat to safety.

also when you get a chance try out my My Guide if I have not already directed you to it. Lots of useful tips and tricks in there.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Last edited by Ragewind; 03-13-13 at 12:10 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome