Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

woc cavalry 2400

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  seermaster 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys got the book in hand finaly and want to do an all fast army
here goes
lord manticore iron hard skin tail tzeetch sheild halberd helm of many eyes third eye of tzeetch soul feeder flame breath 4 plus ward 563
chariot mark of korne 120
chariot mark of korne 120
20 warhounds 160 vanguard
20 warhounds 160 vanguard
10 marauder horseman flails mok javelins 190
chimera regen flame 275
chimera regen flame 275
gore chariot mok 140
gore chariot mok 140
shagoth aditional hand weapon 220
2363 ideas critisism welcome

#2 ·
1st thing - units of 20 warhounds are too big. They are deployment drops so make them into units of 5, unless you want to go hunting, then 8 or 10. 20 will be unwieldy to move, and 10 will have nothing to do. So at least break them up.

2nd - you have literally no infantry blocks, and while I understand it is a fast list, with nothing to break steadfast, I can see some trouble.

Also the lord is kind of hard to read. So it is a lord with the mark or tzeentch, mounted on a manticore with iron hard skin, and he has the gifts soul feeder, 3rd eye of tzeentch, and flame breath, a shield and halberd for mundane gear and for magical items the helm of many eyes and the talisman of preservation? If so I would say he is good. Drop the shield. You can't use it in combat anyways. Flame breath maybe is worth keeping, but dropping it for the armour of fortune (the one that gives the 4+ ward, I think that is the name), the dawnstone and scaled skin would make him more survivable. 1+ rerollable armour save, 3++ ward save rerolling ones, with 5 ASF s6 attacks + manticore. But he is good as is too.

Chariots are OK.

The marauder horsemen look good, but maybe invest in light armour for that 5+?

The gorebeast chariots are OK, but I don't think they are too much better then core chariots.

The chimeras look good. I am going to be getting a few of those models soon (coincidentally, looks like it is made off of the manticore kit with slight head and tail changes). I don't know if I'd take breath, but it is up to you, and regeneration is awesome.

I don't know about the shaggoth. I probably won't run him, but if you try it out can you tell me how it goes? I want to see if he is worth it now.

But it sounds like a fun list. Have fun with the new warriors and good luck!

#3 ·
The marauder horsemen look good, but maybe invest in light armour for that 5+?

Nope. They cease to be fast cavalry if you go down that route, according to the new book.
They're even more flimsy nowadays than they used to be, but still viable because they're one of those units that got cheaper for real (and not just cosmeticaly).

Also, Shaggoths are awesome.

#4 ·
I was thinking of making a cavalry list for my son's WHFB army, what is the down side of no foot infantry ?

#5 ·
They won't be able to make 1st turn charges anyway with the vanguard move. I would rather be a little more survivable and if an enemy closes in the can either charge turn 1, get close and charge turn 2, or take shields instead and not get the armour bonus until after flails wear off - or take nothing and have you 20ish point models fall away fast. You could take both for a 4+ after the first round, I suppose.

The upside to all cavalry is you will be fast, tough, and strong. The downside is you will have few models and nothing to break steadfast with. Would have been viable in 7th, but now would be tough to take even to casual games withou getting frustrated.

#6 ·
You got the lord bang on apart from manticore has the tail attack I had to write this pretty quick.
The reason for gore beast was that if I buy 2 chariot kits I'll have 2 spare or 4 spare horses.
It was mainly just what units I like but I couldn't fit in the drogers skull crushers would be cool the shagoth will work as kolek or shagoth so that's why I want him.
I am worried about no majic and I like your lord better I couldn't thiger out how to get 1up 3up rerol.
I agree warhounds but I figer against gunlines they will be ignored and can chomp through gun crews easy.
Thanks for the replies keep them coming and I look forward to the rest of divines woc tactica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.