Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - A worrying metal trend.....
View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-07-13, 06:33 AM
normtheunsavoury

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
just because I have to put this in, I work at a top40 night club with an "urban" night on sundays
There's your problem right there.

You work in a top 40 nightclub meaning the music played is the lowest common denominator mass produced drivel. In the same way as most mainstream metal is horrible, piss weak nonsense that lacks any form of real musical merit, mainstream urban music is the same. Rap music is just different, its not any better or worse other than in your personal taste. Music will always be a subjective thing, personal taste is how we select music that we like, we don't choose music on merit.

Using machines to make music isn't necessarily a bad thing either, I love trip hop as well as metal, bands like Massive Attack, Sneaker Pimps or Portishead wouldn't exist if not for some very clever music software and hardware. I also like a lot of industrial stuff, Godflesh use drum machines, GGFH use synths and all sorts of strange equipment and so do KMFDM, they don't sing about hoes and money though so does that make them more or less valid in your opinion?

As long as music provokes a feeling or emotion in the listener then it has done its job, it is a form of artistic expression and musicians will always produce music that is relevant and meaningful to them. If that means hoes and bitches and selling drugs then fair enough, it doesn't particularly appeal to me but I wouldn't say it was any less relevant than the music I listen to about serial killers, suicide, black magic, Satanism or warfare.

It could just be the punk in me but I can't stand the idea that you need to be a virtuoso to play music, that you somehow need to be a master of a particular musical instrument to be relevant. If you can make something make a noise then you can make music, if that something happens to be a drum machine and a sampler then go for it, make your music. The end result may not be to my taste, it doesn't have to be, as long as you like it that's all that matters.

On that note, I will leave you with a short blast of fucked up weird industrial music that I love.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome