Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Abaddon vs ?

20K views 125 replies 41 participants last post by  hailene 
#1 ·
So I was wondering with eldrad ulthran dead(presumably) and the primarchs gone Abaddon is probably one of the strongest individuals in the current 40k universe. My question is what character or individual you guys think can best Abaddon single handedly in the current 40k universe(excluding C'tan) and
how would they in terms of their battle prowess?

#2 ·
I suppose Mr Calgar of the Ultramarines would be a contender, he defeated an eldar avatar in single combat and retook a starfort held by daemons so no slouch in the combat department. Lysander could be a contender as well, he was captured and tortured by his chapters arch enemies the iron warriors and managed to escape, both tough characters to go up against Abbadon

#4 ·
Calgar had a couple dozen of his men shoot up the Avatar first.

Physical and mental toughness only go so far.

I personally don't think either of those two could hold a candle to Abby. He's a Space Marine with thousands of years of experience. He had the best war record of the Lunar Wolves (of whom had the best war record of all the Legions). He has a Primarch weapon on top of an incredibly powerful daemonic weapon. To top it off he's empowered with the gifts of all four Chaos gods.

Lord Driago from the Grey Knights. Why? He is made to fight deamons . Abaddon I think has some of the ruinous power I think and you need someone that can battle against chaos.
If anyone could do it, it would be a GK.

#3 ·
Lord Driago from the Grey Knights. Why? He is made to fight deamons . Abaddon I think has some of the ruinous power I think and you need someone that can battle against chaos.

Mephisto maybe another one in line along with Dante but I put my money on Mephisto only because he has psychic power.

#6 ·
Vect doesn't seem (or bother) to fight much. The DE codex mentions he never bothers to dirty his own blade and prefers others to do the work for him.

Though with a tricky character like Vect, the author could make up whatever fanciful setups to make the fight interesting. In a straight up fight there'd be no chance.

I don't think Thraka would fare well either. Yarrick, according to the Ork codex, was able to give him a "dramatic battle".

An unsegmented human like Yarrick would be hardpressed to give a regular Space Marine a dramatic battle. Much less Abby.

#19 ·
The way he rolls for me, yes. The only issue with this is what person, nt Daemon bound in an ageless sword that has taken many lives over the course of millennia and is one of the reasons we are having this argument

#10 ·
The only one's that come to mind for me are other Chaos forces. Daemon Primarchs, Greater Daemons etc. although obviously they wouldn't be fighting Abaddon.
For other armies? I would say Vect could with a LOT of planning, trickery and diversion. Definitely not in hand to hand. Drazhar could probably make him sweat a little. Others above have mentioned others, Ghazgkull and Calgar might just, although I doubt it. I reckon Abaddon could pretty much take on anyone and win, the blessing of the Gods is not be taken lightly.

#11 ·
Abbadon (not frakking Abby) is Warmaster of Chaos, Chosen of Chaos Undivided, a master warrior, tactician, and leader, and on top of it all he is, as our beloved Commissar Ciaphas Cain called him, a ten-thousand year old madman who's been marinating himself in the raw stuff of Chaos for most of that time.

We don't need a Champion or another leader to fight him, practically every single living warrior would be torn to ribbons by the Talon of Horus and effortlessly beheaded by the Daemon Sword Drach'nayen.

We don't need a warrior.

We need a frakking miracle.

Such as, but not limited to, *ahem* this is gonna be a doozy...

Random Warp-rift in the middle of the fight, either tearing Abbadon's very being it innumerable pieces, or bringing in a lost/previously dead Loyalist primarch to go,"You, sir, are a wanker.", and engage him in mortal combat.

The Emperor in his fully-healed glory being Abbadon's opponent, and him going,"Sorry, Empire to un-frak, gotta make this quick.", and commencing with the mind-bullets.

The Chaos Gods suddenly going, "We want to see how you fare without all this extra shit we gave you.", and stripping away his blessings.

In short, without some kind of playing-field leveler or Deus-ex Machina (where a God or some ultra powerful being breaks in and saves the day), anyone going against Abbadon in mortal combat, is frakked. Well, and truly, frakked.

#12 ·
I would imagine Draigo would be the only Human that would really stand a chance...as he certainly seems to be the most capable Human warrior in existence that isn't sitting on a Golden Throne. And, of course, the whole 'carving initials into the heart of a Primarch' thing.

#15 ·
+1 to scscofield on this one

Abby, is a 10,000 year old looser whom has managed to loose atleast 10,000 times!

at that rate, a half-blind dwarf with a demonette std could take abby.... just by showing him pictures of his list of utter failures.... Hey in fact why do the chaos gods put up with it? being a chaos god I would be pretty pissed if it had taken my underling 10,000 years to just fail as hard as he has.....

#22 ·
Abby, is a 10,000 year old looser whom has managed to loose atleast 10,000 times!

at that rate, a half-blind dwarf with a demonette std could take abby.... just by showing him pictures of his list of utter failures.... Hey in fact why do the chaos gods put up with it? being a chaos god I would be pretty pissed if it had taken my underling 10,000 years to just fail as hard as he has.....
Except he has not failed time and again as so many people like to claim.

Time and again he has actually succeeded in doing exactly what he has set out to do. Like in his first Black Crusade, where the whole point was for him to sow destruction and discourd in the area surrounding the eye and to obtain his daemon weapon. Seeing as he did just that, kind of a success.

And lets not forget some of his later Black Crusades, like the one in which the whole point was to simply get fleets of chaos warships out of the Cadian Gate and into regular space so that they could run amock. He most certainly did that one; he also nearly wiped out the Blood Angels on at least one crusade.

Don't forget the Gothic War, where his goal was to obtain the blackstone fortresses. Yeah he didn't get all six, but he did leave with two or three. And two of those were more than enough to destroy a planet (and three enough to destabilize a star so that it went supernova.)

Lets not forget the hundreds of Imperial worlds he has layed asunder; or the fact that he is still the only champion of chaos who has been able to unite the nine legions time and again.

If you measure his success by how many times the Despoiler has breached the defenses of Terra and caste the Emperor from the golden throne then he has never once done that. But his goals are rarely ever that one, and he he almost always accomplishes his goals.

Ten thousand years of being a loser my ass; there is a reason he is the single most feared champion of chaos.

#16 ·
What in 40k Can take on Abbadon. Just let a Necron Lord or Overlord with a Tesserect labyrinth get close enough to him and bam he's Gone no more abbadon. Then we have Mind Shackle Scarabs to make him attack himself, Re-animation and a Warscythe so it would be 1 hell of a fight assuming he got throw the first 2 tricks alive.

Ctan Shattered or not would probably do the Trick as well. But if where talking Characters Then your limited to Draigo, Ghazskull, Mephiston and Maybe Orikan when he's Empowered. I cant think of anything else that could take him on in single combat Aside from what I've already mentioned.

Now if I had an army behind me then its a different Story.

#18 ·
Remember he is theoretically AP3 in CC so a humble terminator could eventually punch the snot out of him.
On a completely in-related note I am so glad to see TheOnlySaneObliterator again, it is humbling to see you have retained your classic insanity!

#25 ·
Abaddon is probably the most feared individual throughout the Imperium, there is next to no one who could stand against him and endure. Though, as others have said, a particularly powerful Grey Knight (such as Draigo) would probably stand the greatest chance.

Remember he is theoretically AP3 in CC so a humble terminator could eventually punch the snot out of him.
I don't play TT, so feel free to put me back in my place here, but don't daemon weapons (including Drach'nyen) count as power weapons, therefore Abaddon ignores armour saves in combat?

#24 ·
In game terms -
To quote Aramoro's eldar tactics

'Karandras
He still gets 7 Power Claw attacks on the charge and the power weapon change makes him hardier than before. A fun character to challenge with as you get some free swings before he tears your face off.'

My next thought was a Wolf Lord with a th/ss and sotb.

Either of these would now beat adaddon.

Fluff wise - I think Abaddon's plot armour is too strong... so no-one beats him.

#27 ·
Hypothetically wouldn't Lucius win? I mean I know in one on one he'd be ripped apart like tissue paper but in the fluff those that win and feel even a moment of satisfaction get morphed into him. A long shot to be sure but also fun to consider.

I would think that the more powerful necron characters would have the greatest chance of besting him though.

#33 ·
Hypothetically wouldn't Lucius win?
If you're interested, there are numerous interesting (I use that term loosely), yet very long threads on such things. This was the most prominent one I believe.

#30 ·
Yeah - its a funny thought :biggrin: Imagine Abaddon noticing Lucius's armour coming through his own. He's the only person I could think of who could go put in a complaint at slaanesh's head office...

What about plot armoured characters?
Dante, Mephiston, Logan Grimnar? in a 1 on 1 plot off?

This is where the phoenix lords fall over in fluff against him - they're functionally immortal, but could get killed in every book and it wouldn't make a scrap of difference...

#31 ·
In a plot off? The Sanguinor springs to mind since as far as I know he has never lost. Dante has that whole prophecy thing going for him so that might work. As others have said Draigo seems just as unbeatable (and admirably suited to the task). Personally I would find it funny if Lorgar stopped meditating and claimed leadership of the "Long War" and abaddon had to fight him. Pretty equal in terms of godly support so I think Lorgar might have the edge there

#32 ·
in game 4 pheonix lords karandras jain zar margen ra and fuegan would woop him the other 2 would tie him up for the game
for gks crowe and brotherhood champions mordrack the inquisiter with a hammer librarians grand masters and brother captins with hamers would win aswell
nids swarmlord tyrant with armoured shell lash wip 3 boneswords
orks gazgull
basicaly guys with 2 up who ignore saves

#34 ·
IMO Abaddon would lose to a unit of grey knights +Draigo (though we are talking 1 on ones) they defeated Angron for fraks sake. I am sorry but he is just NOT stronger than a fulll on Demon Prince +being a Primarch.

If we are doing 1 on 1....that is very difficult Ghaz Thraka (not gonna spell the entire name sorry) or possibly Ahriman (even though he is not the chosen one of all four in the pantheon). I do definately think that Lysander could do some serious one on one damage as well.

#42 ·
IMO Abaddon would lose to a unit of grey knights +Draigo (though we are talking 1 on ones) they defeated Angron for fraks sake. I am sorry but he is just NOT stronger than a fulll on Demon Prince +being a Primarch.
It's arguable that the Primarchs became weaker, or rather less effective, upon their ascension to daemonhood though. As daemons they are bound by the same restrictions all daemons face; limited time in the materium, the need for a warp source, a general detachment and disinterest in the affairs of mortals. They are also now more vulnerable to the psychic and faith based abilities of the Grey Knights, who are designed, trained and equipped to fight daemons as effectively as possible.

Abaddon by contrast suffers no such limitations, but only advantages from his Chaos blessings. At the time of the Great Crusade he was one of the deadliest Space Marines. He's now had an additional 10,000 years experience, the blessings of Gods and powerful weapons. What's more if he ever is in any true danger the God's can simply spirit him away, it's happened before.

imperal auto servent SU-4912

you know,, the one that pushed the button to start a extermnatus.

or you, a ton of imperal assassains.
Assassinorum Kill Teams have tried before, they've all failed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.